Tie rod end question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Tie rod end question

I've been looking around for a new tie rod set up, but most of the aftermarket one's say you need 17" wheels with 4.5" back spacing, but i have 16" with 4.5" b/s, so has anyone out there with 16's wheel's get any of the after market tie rod kits to work?

~Richard & The Goddess~
Current Mods: 2.5 BB Teraflex Lift, 35" Nittos, 16"X8" MB Wheels, On-Board Air, Flo Master Exhaust, Power Inverter (800w), Evap Canister Relocation, WOODS S. S. relocation bracket, WOODS Rear Axle, Mopar Hitch, CB, Happy Bunny mud flaps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 05:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have the same issue and maybe even worse with my 15" wheels. I think from all my research the best option is Poly Performance:

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...d-p-16403.html

This is where I'm going soon. There are other tie rods but it's the clearance issue you are trying to address and get something better than the stock crap. Also, this price includes the ends. :-)

Last edited by 4x4x4; 11-28-2013 at 06:02 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Granite Guru

I've been looking at the WFO or Ruffstuff tie rods. I feel like with a 1" wheel spacer on a 3.75" back spacing 15 it should work maybe even just a 3/4" spacer. Just haven't tried it yet. Will probably be after the first of the year.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwaxmyjimmy View Post
I've been looking at the WFO or Ruffstuff tie rods. I feel like with a 1" wheel spacer on a 3.75" back spacing 15 it should work maybe even just a 3/4" spacer. Just haven't tried it yet. Will probably be after the first of the year.

the safe minimum is a 1.25" wheel adaptor......a narrow spacer is a no no

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 06:59 PM
JKO Addict!

I run synergy with 16's

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #6 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Kjeeper10 do you know the back spacing on your wheels?

~Richard & The Goddess~
Current Mods: 2.5 BB Teraflex Lift, 35" Nittos, 16"X8" MB Wheels, On-Board Air, Flo Master Exhaust, Power Inverter (800w), Evap Canister Relocation, WOODS S. S. relocation bracket, WOODS Rear Axle, Mopar Hitch, CB, Happy Bunny mud flaps!
post #7 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper View Post
the safe minimum is a 1.25" wheel adaptor......a narrow spacer is a no no
Why is a narrow spacer a no no? Just curious because that's actual less stress on the studs, and easier on other hub end parts? Now attaching to the hub is a little tricky but possible. Haven't seen anything that size yet

post #8 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Rock God

3/4"-1" adapters would require cutting the factory studs substantially and simply using a spacer would shorten the usable thread for the lug nuts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 08:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper View Post
3/4"-1" adapters would require cutting the factory studs substantially and simply using a spacer would shorten the usable thread for the lug nuts
True, the only exception would be if the wheel has a recess [and enough recess] in the back between the studs; which a steelie won't of course.

But in general, a company won't even make them less than an inch with their own studs [like they should have]. So it's sort of a moot point.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-29-2013, 08:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_calif_rubi View Post
Kjeeper10 do you know the back spacing on your wheels?
I posted when I had my 15" Black Rock Vipers. These joints would not work.
Others were chiming in with no problems. a Moog joint like what RK is using currently works fine even though 17" is supposedly the minimum. So I don't think back space matters with 16's. They should all work.

Fwiw. RK is about to release a new tie rod with their own ends and adjustable on the jeep.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #11 of 15 Old 11-29-2013, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

thank you guys very helpful!!!!!

~Richard & The Goddess~
post #12 of 15 Old 12-03-2013, 02:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post

Fwiw. RK is about to release a new tie rod with their own ends and adjustable on the jeep.

This is great news for me!!!!! I was going to order the RK tie rod with the drag link rod ends which are stronger, but now I will wait just a little longer. I really need to look at getting bigger wheels to help with my clearance issues.

Bigger wheels: Dilemma

I could get bigger brake rotors
I would not have issues for the tie rod clearance
More choices for tires on say 17" wheels as opposed to my 15"
Downside the tires do cost more and I would need 5 new wheels and tires to add cost.
Last set of 35's cost only $190 ea - they are $241 in 15" (That price break is hard to get past for me)
Same tire in 35x12.5x17" is $349 ea or $432 dollars more for just 4 of the same height tire plus $349 for the spare tire =$781. Then add 5 wheels to the equation and you see why going from 15" to 17" is big bucks for the very same 35" tall tire.
I started on the cheap and now it will cost a lot to go up to a wheel size that makes sense functionally.
To make matters worse I really need 37's to clear my long wheel base...

Last edited by 4x4x4; 12-03-2013 at 03:12 AM.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
This is great news for me!!!!! I was going to order the RK tie rod with the drag link rod ends which are stronger, but now I will wait just a little longer. I really need to look at getting bigger wheels to help with my clearance issues.

Bigger wheels: Dilemma

I could get bigger brake rotors
I would not have issues for the tie rod clearance
More choices for tires on say 17" wheels as opposed to my 15"
Downside the tires do cost more and I would need 5 new wheels and tires to add cost.
Last set of 35's cost only $190 ea - they are $241 in 15" (That price break is hard to get past for me)
Same tire in 35x12.5x17" is $349 ea or $432 dollars more for just 4 of the same height tire plus $349 for the spare tire =$781. Then add 5 wheels to the equation and you see why going from 15" to 17" is big bucks for the very same 35" tall tire.
I started on the cheap and now it will cost a lot to go up to a wheel size that makes sense functionally.
To make matters worse I really need 37's to clear my long wheel base...
Why gain only 1" buy going up to 37s or just relocate your fuel tank and gain 2.5+" for a lot cheaper than 37s

post #14 of 15 Old 12-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Rock God

i run 15" with a poly performance tirerod. i think my BS is 3.75 or 4" i need to double check

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #15 of 15 Old 12-03-2013, 07:32 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I run the rock krawler HD Aluminum tie rod, with Moog ends with 15's

It wil depend on your back spacing, but this setup fits fine

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode