Stock 2-door and 35's - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-25-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Stock 2-door and 35's

I'm wondering how many have gone with 35's on a stock suspensioned 2-door JK. If you have, do you have a step by step or pictures of where you trimmed and how you trimmed? Or does anyone have links to show it being done?

I ran a 2" life on my '07 JKU with 35's. I know the 2-door can run a bit bigger combo than the 4-door without as much rubbing. And yes, I know a mild lift or body lift would be bet but i'm looking at possibly doing this with the stock suspension and stock fenders (trimmed) for now.

Thanks!

2014 JK
Anvil
17x9" Rockstars
33" KTMs

SOLD
2007 JKU 4x4
2.5" Teraflex Lift
18x9" Rockstars
35" Nitto Mud Grapplers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-25-2013, 11:57 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

It will be pretty obvious where you'll need to trim, but mostly just in the front of the rear wheel well.

This is a two door that I'm currently working on. It is sitting on a completely clapped out 100K+ mile stock suspension on 37" KM2s. You can see where I redneck hacked the rear wheel wells out in the photo. It is getting cut up more than this for a stretch and custom armor, but I needed the stack of tires and wheels out of my way so I installed them and snapped a photo.

Here is my old two door sitting on 35" MTRs with no lift before I installed the suspension on it.

You can do it, but I'd suggest putting some JKU Rubicon springs on there instead of leaving the stock suspension. Maybe throw a 1" spacer on top of those up front so you're level.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 11-25-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Cool thanks, good info. I figured I could put them on and start checking where to trim. I wasn't sure if there was anything major needed, trimming-wise, or just basic tools like a nice cutting knife. I do have a dremel and a compressor if needed! Sounds like its just basic plastic pieces on the fenders as opposed to any metal.

2014 JK
Anvil
17x9" Rockstars
33" KTMs

SOLD
2007 JKU 4x4
2.5" Teraflex Lift
18x9" Rockstars
35" Nitto Mud Grapplers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I'm running 35's on a 2 door with a 2.5" suspension with extended bump stops. I still get rubbing in the front even with the bump stops. I wouldn't want to run 35's on stock suspension unless I had flat flares and probably some trimming as well.

- 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper

- 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

Try out my
post #5 of 14 Old 11-25-2013, 12:15 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

You'll want to buy a sawzall for the pinch seam cuts.

Marcus

post #6 of 14 Old 11-25-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
You'll want to buy a sawzall for the pinch seam cuts.

Marcus
Ahh yes, I did see something on that! Now, if you go with a set of flat flares like the Rugged Ridge 4pc kit for $270, I'm assuming you wouldn't need to do any cutting etc (except maybe the pinch seam)? I'm not sure how "good looking" the RR kit compared to others, but it seems that at that price it may be worth saving the hassle of trimming the stock fenders.

2014 JK
Anvil
17x9" Rockstars
33" KTMs

SOLD
2007 JKU 4x4
2.5" Teraflex Lift
18x9" Rockstars
35" Nitto Mud Grapplers
post #7 of 14 Old 11-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Granite Guru

I'm leaving right now to pick-up my JK with 35 MTR/K's, XD Enduro Beadlocks and bone stock suspension. I have the Metalcloak Overline fenders and flares. I don't wrench and had a good shop install. The rear pinch seam and rocker rail did have to be trimmed. Also 1.5 inch bump stops in rear only. The stock bumper had to be trimmed of the end caps and aftermarket caps installed. Picture is before the bumper trim.

I cannot report much more since it's so new. Metalcloak and my installer assure me there will be no rubbing issues. Sorry cannot help with install tips.

Attachment 104193

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants

Last edited by ratchettt; 12-17-2013 at 12:22 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-26-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Wow those are some serious fenders! They replace the back right and left panel as well it seems. I'm thinking aftermarket fenders now. Just so many of them at such varying prices that I'm not sure what's too cheap and what's just right...

2014 JK
Anvil
17x9" Rockstars
33" KTMs

SOLD
2007 JKU 4x4
2.5" Teraflex Lift
18x9" Rockstars
35" Nitto Mud Grapplers
post #9 of 14 Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

Stock with cut fenders, RK budget boost/leveling kit. Running 34.5" (metric equivalent) Trail Grapplers. No tub cutting.

-Scott S.-

'07 2Dr Silver Rubicon

Last edited by ScaleJK4x4; 11-26-2013 at 08:54 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Wheeler

I am running 315/75R17s on aftermarket rims on my 2014 JK Rubi. I had to trim the rails, but the seams were cut from the factory. I also needed to add two washers per side to the steering stops. I rub on all four fenders, since they are not trimmed.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Rock God

if you want, look at my profile page, go to the jeep pictures, My two door with 35's and no lift, with the #13 springs on it. full fenders as well.
I drove it like this for about 3 months, never took it off road but it worked fine for around town.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #12 of 14 Old 12-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchettt View Post
I'm leaving right now to pick-up my JK with 35 MTR/K's, XD Enduro Beadlocks and bone stock suspension. I have the Metalcloak Overline fenders and flares. I don't wrench and had a good shop install. The rear pinch seam and rocker rail did have to be trimmed. Also 1.5 inch bump stops in rear only. The stock bumper had to be trimmed of the end caps and aftermarket caps installed. Picture is before the bumper trim.

I cannot report much more since it's so new. Metalcloak and my installer assure me there will be no rubbing issues. Sorry cannot help with install tips.
Looks great. Would like to hear how it performs offroad. I've been thinking of going the route of 35s on backspaced wheels & flat fenders flares while I save up/figure out what kind of a lift I want for my JKR.
But would like to hear how that 35's+flat flares+stock suspension setup does offroad before doing that.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-11-2013, 07:21 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysocks View Post
Looks great. Would like to hear how it performs offroad. I've been thinking of going the route of 35s on backspaced wheels & flat fenders flares while I save up/figure out what kind of a lift I want for my JKR.
But would like to hear how that 35's+flat flares+stock suspension setup does offroad before doing that.
Yep, I am anxious to have the answer to your question. I am hoping I can be happy with my setup without a lift or regear. I'm learning that so much is experimentation(which can be expensive) because of lack of others' experiences with the same build.

Anyway I will be your guinea pig, but at this time of year it could be a while before I get in the rocks and mud. Plus to really be confident in performance results it willtake a number of adventures in different terrain.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
post #14 of 14 Old 12-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Granite Guru

35's, JKU Rubi springs, 1" front, .5" rear spacers, no bumpstop extensions, stock fenders:

The Jeep was NOT offroaded in this configuration. The tires would have EATEN the fenders. Did look good, though, IMO.

Same configuration but cut fenders:

I ran that way for a while. It worked well, but I moved my rear shock mounts up for clearance and the ride quality was for shit on my commute at near OEM ride height since I needed to bump stop the rear to keep the shocks from bottoming out. In other words, I needed more uptravel. The keys to "fitting" a tire size are bump stop extensions, cutting stuff away, wheel offset, and steering stop adjustment. "Lift" has nearly nothing to do with it. "Lift" just gives you uptravel (ride quality, on the street) after you've added bump stops to accomodate your big tires. I run RK's 2.5" Max Travel Pro suspension now. With a bit of trimming, ~1-2" more bump stop, and a steering stop adjustment, I could easily run 37's. My Jeep as it is now (suspension-wise, anyway):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode