Sport cages - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 11-25-2013, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Sport cages

Want to get sport cage for my '13 unlimited.

I know OR FAB, Rock Hard, and Poison Spyder make them. Looking for feed back on the first two. I know each have install quirks, but PSC seems to have more than the other two.

I like how or fab has the floor tie ins, rock hard seems like the easier install.

Anyone install these with the new interiors and had issues? Tops still fit? Plan on just running my soft top.

Thanks.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Rock God

in my humble opinion they all suck unless they tie into the frame. PSC's has been documented here to bring the suck also since there are no windshield tie ins because its not aesthetically pleasing.

the only kit, imo, thats worth buying is poly's cage kit.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-25-2013, 09:37 AM
JKO Addict!

I have an OR-Fab front and Poly rear. I, pretty strongly, believe its a sound option for a double-duty rig. There will always be those that stand on their soapbox for frame tied cages and claim all else is shit. While I agree all else is not -as good-, there is a place for the in-between setups.

If I started over, today, I'd have a front to rear poly cage with frame ties. At the time, that wasn't quite an option, the front poly was an option..but not the current "through the dash" version I would like to have today.

There is a thread on the PSC stuff that can be referenced, most of which has still yet to be answered..but my engineering classes have pretty much told me what I need to know in regards to most of the structural concerns I've had about it. But I won't beat that dead horse any further than it already has.

I personally have no desire to own a Rock Hard, PSC, or River Raider given the current options available today. I still wouldn't mind changing a thing or two about the Poly cage however.

I'd like to see that be one bent bar from the soundbar to the floor and have a pickup bracket to the windshield frame like the OR-Fab. Just better load paths and a stress concentration at that joint that could be avoided. I can see why they wouldn't go that route, for the added manufacturing complexity..but I'd like to see it go away still

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-25-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks Goody. As I would enjoy the the poly cage, I just can't swing it. I re-read you Psc thread and know that one is out.

I am thinking or fab with rear c pillars welded in that poly or Psc offer. I would like to add a rear harness bar at some point for my kids.

Looking for the balance as my rig spends more time dding than on the trail, but just an added safety. I think a sport cage will do just fine for me.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #5 of 27 Old 11-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG006 View Post
Thanks Goody. As I would enjoy the the poly cage, I just can't swing it. I re-read you Psc thread and know that one is out.

I am thinking or fab with rear c pillars welded in that poly or Psc offer. I would like to add a rear harness bar at some point for my kids.

Looking for the balance as my rig spends more time dding than on the trail, but just an added safety. I think a sport cage will do just fine for me.
I don't understand why PSC won't offer their cage with a windshield tie in however that is quickly fixed by removing the OEM and welding them on to the PSC Cage.

There is a video here somewhere of a PSC Cage flipping backwards, rolling over etc.. and it took the hit well......searched can't find it.

Anything is better than stock....
post #6 of 27 Old 11-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
I don't understand why PSC won't offer their cage with a windshield tie in however that is quickly fixed by removing the OEM and welding them on to the PSC Cage.

There is a video here somewhere of a PSC Cage flipping backwards, rolling over etc.. and it took the hit well......searched can't find it.

Anything is better than stock....
2nd video of that had a better angle showing it didn't hit the top hardly at all.
post #7 of 27 Old 11-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Of-fab in mine. I did the install myself. It was somewhat of a pain but mainly because I did almost all of it by myself. Directions show two people installing the cage and tell you to use two people. Also, MAKE SURE you tap the threads on the Or-fab cage or else the bolts will seize. Ask me how I know.......I don't believe it stated anywhere in the instructions to do this but after a bit of cursing and more research on this site, I tapped the threads and all was well. Also, afforded me the opportunity to upgrade to grade 8 hardware on all of the pinch seems.

2010 JK
2.5" RK, 4.56 gears, Detriot Trutracs F/R, Or-Fab front cage, Synergy rear cage, Mastercraft Baja RS seats, and a ton of other mods!
post #8 of 27 Old 11-25-2013, 12:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Chasing the threads may be a better option, since they're intended to clean pre-existing threads. Where-as a tap is intended to make new threads.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #9 of 27 Old 11-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Granite Guru

I like my OR-Fab cage so far; except for increased wind noise. Definitely check all the threaded holes; one hole in the floor brace required some tweaking and one hole in the dash frame wasn't tapped completely. I used the stock stainless hardware but I used anti-seize to prevent galling. I did it by myself but I needed ratchet straps to align everything. I also stripped the threads above the drivers-side seat belt in the B-pillar. I went to the hardware store and bought threaded studs for these locations in the B-pillar.

I know the sport cage is not as good as a full cage; but it is better than the stock cage in my daily driver. My wife likes it except the increased wind noise. I'm still working on that issue and I have made some progress, but it's not as quiet as before I installed the cage.

I plan to eventually add the Poly rear cage kit like Goody. I think this added protection will be sufficient for my daily driver 2 door.

2009 Sunburst Orange Rubicon, 2dr, 6spd.
PSC BFH front bumper, Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper, Bushwacker Flares
PSC Rocker Knockers ,PSC Evap Skid Plate
post #10 of 27 Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob50lx View Post
I like my OR-Fab cage so far; except for increased wind noise.
I never noticed until I changed to a cable top, but my increase in wind noise was pretty much due to the change in "width" of the cage. The cable top ended up showing me it was way off, where my '09 top didn't really show anything. I ended up narrowing my cage by about 5/8" before a better fit with the top...may be the same issue for you. There is no spec for it in the instructions but my top seals up awesome now.

post #11 of 27 Old 11-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Rock God

I have looked around for the right up on the PSC cage , what are the issues with it ? looking for a sport cage also not much hard core stuff .
post #12 of 27 Old 11-26-2013, 07:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapcola View Post
I have looked around for the right up on the PSC cage , what are the issues with it ? looking for a sport cage also not much hard core stuff .
is this what you are looking for?

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77384

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #13 of 27 Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Wheeler

I was going to get the OR-FAB until I read their installation instructions and read this:

"The purpose of the Sport Cage is to enhance the
appearance of the vehicle only. The Sport Cage is NOT
intended to protect the occupants of the vehicle in the
event of a vehicle rollover."

Here's the install instructions.

http://www.orfab.com/instructions/82350.pdf
post #14 of 27 Old 11-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Not much on the Or-Fab either....
post #15 of 27 Old 11-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
2nd video of that had a better angle showing it didn't hit the top hardly at all.
Agreed, the cage didnt really touch at all. I said from day one the bumper/hoop took 90% of the hit.

IMO, every bolt in cage makes compromises to remain easily bolted in. Currently, the synergy cage is the "best" box shipped cage, but the install dificulty goes up quite a bit.

If you're worries about the cost of the synergy kit, you can start with just the front section. I believe it is priced very fair (cheaper excluding welding) against the bolt in kits, all of which are generally just for the front driver compartment. Add the rear later on.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #16 of 27 Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8MUD View Post
I was going to get the OR-FAB until I read their installation instructions and read this:

"The purpose of the Sport Cage is to enhance the
appearance of the vehicle only. The Sport Cage is NOT
intended to protect the occupants of the vehicle in the
event of a vehicle rollover."

Here's the install instructions.

http://www.orfab.com/instructions/82350.pdf
And that's how you remove liability [some] of someone suing you from having your "roll cage" and still getting hurt. I wouldn't blame them even the slightest for doing that. As soon as they call it a "roll cage" or something that "will save your life", they're on the hook for it.

Which would you do?

Poly Performance pretty much says the same thing, without being direct to a specific part. They can pretty much define the intention and "proper use" of a "sport cage" to mean whatever they want.

Quote:
Use of products sold by Poly Performance, Inc. is at the consumer's own risk. Proper installation and proper use of all products must be followed for optimal safety and performance. Poly Performance, Inc. does not accept responsibility for improper use, alterations, and installation of any products purchased from us.
All products sold and manufactured by Poly Performance, Inc. are for off-road use only.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 11-26-2013 at 09:23 AM.
post #17 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Chasing the threads may be a better option, since they're intended to clean pre-existing threads. Where-as a tap is intended to make new threads.
That's what I meant. Typed that in between calls at work. lol Thanks!

Goody, I also have more wind noise. I haven't had a leaking issue or at least noticed one yet. But I have noticed the cage appears to be wider. I may loosen up the windshield bolts and top crossbar and bring it in some with a ratchet strap. Just need the time to do it now....

Also, any issues with the soft top and rear poly cage? I am about to start having a family and want any kids riding int he back to have some added safety. Any issues putting up and down the soft top?

2010 JK
2.5" RK, 4.56 gears, Detriot Trutracs F/R, Or-Fab front cage, Synergy rear cage, Mastercraft Baja RS seats, and a ton of other mods!

Last edited by Eclipseoffroad; 12-15-2013 at 11:23 AM.
post #18 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 07:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I never noticed until I changed to a cable top, but my increase in wind noise was pretty much due to the change in "width" of the cage. The cable top ended up showing me it was way off, where my '09 top didn't really show anything. I ended up narrowing my cage by about 5/8" before a better fit with the top...may be the same issue for you. There is no spec for it in the instructions but my top seals up awesome now.
Goody, do you have a pic or more info on this shortening of the cage and how you came about the 5/8"?
post #19 of 27 Old 12-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTrail741 View Post
Goody, do you have a pic or more info on this shortening of the cage and how you came about the 5/8"?
I might try it today. I plan on loosening up the top crossbar and windshield tie-in bolts. Then use the ratchet strap to pull it together. I am going to try to leave the dashbar tight and see if it will just pull the top inward.

If I do, I will let you know how it works out. It is just sooooo cold outside, I don't know if I want to go out there......(56 degree but feels like 0)

2010 JK
post #20 of 27 Old 12-16-2013, 04:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Loosen the dash bar as well. I don't really have any other technical information but loosen the four bolts for the tubes and at the windshield mounts to bring it in.

5/8" is what it took to fit my cable tension top right.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #21 of 27 Old 12-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Loosen the dash bar as well. I don't really have any other technical information but loosen the four bolts for the tubes and at the windshield mounts to bring it in.

5/8" is what it took to fit my cable tension top right.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Any issues with the Poly rear setup and the soft top. For example, clearance issues putting the soft top up and down.

2010 JK
post #22 of 27 Old 12-22-2013, 06:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

There won't be any issues there. Atleast on a 4 door. Not sure what the two door looks like.
post #23 of 27 Old 12-22-2013, 06:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Neither of my tops ever leaked until I put the RockHard cage in.
post #24 of 27 Old 12-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTrail741 View Post
There won't be any issues there. Atleast on a 4 door. Not sure what the two door looks like.
I have a two door. I have seen a little bit of leaking after the Or-fab install. But it has only shown when I am washing the Jeep. And it is just a tiny bit on the driver's side where the windshield meets the door.

2010 JK
post #25 of 27 Old 12-22-2013, 06:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That is where mine leaks too. Both sides. I am going to rip it all out one day and modify it to fit it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode