New Grimm Jeeper Calculator - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-23-2013, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
New Grimm Jeeper Calculator

So I've finally gotten around to updating the gear ratio calculator.

I've put it out for beta testing here: Gear Ratio Calculator

The original one is still up and running so if there are major problems, I'll get them fixed before I take the old one away.

I don't have one of every type of computer with every type of browser out there so I don't know if there's any huge errors I haven't seen yet. I've tested it with Firefox under Linux and Windows, as well as a newer version of IE. I don't own any Apple products so I can't test the browser on that platform. I also don't have any other browsers installed so I don't know how well it works with Chrome, Opera, Safari, etc. I would greatly appreciate feedback from people who can test with one of those.

I will warn you that I didn't worry about compatibility with old browsers so there may be some really broken features if you're using an old browser that doesn't work with HTML5.

Major changes:
  1. No more "Calculate" button. Every time you enter anything into the form, it will automatically update for you. There is no need to waste time hitting the button. If it shows empty fields in the bottom, you're missing something like tire size or gear ratio.
  2. Copy buttons. You can now copy your selection from one side to the other. You can copy them individually or copy the whole form from one side to the other.
  3. The standard and metric forms have been combined into one form. Now you just select "SAE" or "Metric" at the top.
  4. I alphabetized all of the transmissions, transfer cases and underdrives. Nothing went away but you may need to search further down the list to find what you are used to finding at the top. It will make maintenance easier in the future.
  5. Style changes. I've ben teaching myself about HTML 5 and formatting web pages. It's probably still crude by some people's standards but I think it looks better than it used to.
  6. I started up a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/grimmjeeper It's not much but it's another way for people to send me feedback.

What I still have left to do:
  1. Add a "save your settings" button to the form. If you have a modern browser, it should support saving all the settings on your local hard drive. Look for a new button towards the top that will let you save everything so it all pops back up the way you left it.
  2. Rewrite the instructions. Granted, it won't be much. But I should probably do it.
  3. Fix anything that you all find and tell me about.

So let me know if you notice any glaring errors. Or even any small ones. I'll do my best to fix them.

Oh, and pass this on to anyone and everyone you want. I don't get on every forum but I'd like to spread the word on this new calculator and get feedback.

Thanks everyone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

Try out my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Granite Guru

worked on my Mac except for tire size would not move. Also I didn't see Wa580 transmission 2012 & newer? unless I missed it? Very well designed calculator.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-24-2013, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubatech View Post
worked on my Mac except for tire size would not move. Also I didn't see Wa580 transmission 2012 & newer? unless I missed it? Very well designed calculator.
It's the NAG1. I can update the selection to make that more obvious.

Try out my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-26-2013, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

I've updated the NAG1 to also show up as the WA580. I've also fixed a few bugs I didn't catch and I modified some of the colors to make it easier to use on a phone. I rewrote the instructions too.

I still have to add the save button and maybe a couple other things. I'll get to those this weekend.

Let me know if you see anything else that needs to be fixed.

Try out my
post #5 of 5 Old 12-08-2013, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

I've done a lot of things and just wanted a little feedback before I replace the old calculator:
  1. I added a save feature.
  2. I added a field so you can enter your tire size in mm as well as inches. So if you only have a metric tape measure to measure your tires you don't have to do the pesky math to convert to inches. The Australian blokes reminded me that dress makers use cm and engineers use mm.
  3. I added extra columns in the crawl table so it reads out in both feet (or meters) per minute and miles (or kilometers) per hour.
  4. I changed the RPM and MPH headers on the lower tables to be text entry fields so you can enter whatever number you feel like instead of choosing only from preset values.

I cleaned up a few other minor problems but otherwise I'm pretty much done with the major updates. If you see any problems with the calculator let me know.

Try out my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode