Hid vs led - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-23-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Hid vs led

Which is better ? some cool hid's out their ,how durable are they ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Rock God

I just pulled my Hella h4 conversion and put the DDM HIDS in and wow they're bright. Still seem to have good cut off and don't seem any brighter to oncoming traffic than most of the oem stuff out these days. Take price into equation and it was easy decision for me.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 12:57 AM
Rock God

Garage

Start here:

USMCDOC14's Headlight Shootout

The come back and ask more questions.

I'm a JKO Reject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 01:02 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
I just pulled my Hella h4 conversion and put the DDM HIDS in and wow they're bright. Still seem to have good cut off and don't seem any brighter to oncoming traffic than most of the oem stuff out these days. Take price into equation and it was easy decision for me.
I've been wondering about generic HID upgrades ever since reading Gil's results with the Rebel Offroad kit. I figured there probably wasn't any magic to the kit, and the price didn't excite me.

I've been running Bosch H4 motorcycle headlights ($45/pair) with Hella 100/85 H4 bulbs ($18/pair) and a hand-made wiring harness (~$70) for 3 years now and am extremely happy with the results. However, for $50-60 it might be worthwhile for me to give the HID upgrade a try, assuming I can remember where I put my stock housings.

I really like HIDProjector's stuff, but I just can't justify that kind of cash. Ditto for the J.W. Speaker LED headlights.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #5 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

bump

Thanks for that , will start robbing banks soon .
post #6 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
I've been wondering about generic HID upgrades ever since reading Gil's results with the Rebel Offroad kit. I figured there probably wasn't any magic to the kit, and the price didn't excite me.

I've been running Bosch H4 motorcycle headlights ($45/pair) with Hella 100/85 H4 bulbs ($18/pair) and a hand-made wiring harness (~$70) for 3 years now and am extremely happy with the results. However, for $50-60 it might be worthwhile for me to give the HID upgrade a try, assuming I can remember where I put my stock housings.

I really like HIDProjector's stuff, but I just can't justify that kind of cash. Ditto for the J.W. Speaker LED headlights.
Agreed. I was running 100/85s as well and they were way better than stock but after a couple night wheeling trips last week I knew that I needed some more light. After looking at spending money on another set of Rigids or something like it, I started thinking that the money might be better spent on increasing the headlight output and be able to enjoy the benefits on the road as well.

I probably would have done the HID Projector DIY conversion if they were still available but they weren't and I just can't spend the kind of money that the premium projectors/LEDs conversions cost.

I'm way happy that I ended up with what I did.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

I probably would have done the HID Projector DIY conversion if they were still available but they weren't and I just can't spend the kind of money that the premium projectors/LEDs conversions cost.
What do you mean that they are not available? Did I miss something?

Thanks,
Rob

2009 Sunburst Orange Rubicon, 2dr, 6spd.
PSC BFH front bumper, Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper, Bushwacker Flares
PSC Rocker Knockers ,PSC Evap Skid Plate
post #8 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob50lx View Post
What do you mean that they are not available? Did I miss something?

Thanks,
Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDprojectors View Post
Ive stopped selling the DIY kits, there were too many issues with assembly. I only sell the fully built lights now.
Post 387 of the DIY HID Projector thread. I'm sure he had too many people screw stuff up and pretty much blame him. Kinda glad, it forced me to do the DDM HIDs and so far they are great.

post #9 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Agreed. I was running 100/85s as well and they were way better than stock but after a couple night wheeling trips last week I knew that I needed some more light. After looking at spending money on another set of Rigids or something like it, I started thinking that the money might be better spent on increasing the headlight output and be able to enjoy the benefits on the road as well.
Running hotter H13 bulbs in the stock housing and wiring didn't make a big difference for me. Changing the housings to standard H4/E-code lamps and replacing the thin 16AWG wiring harness with 12AWG made a huge difference.

I compared my lights side-by-side to J.W.Speaker and it seemed that my setup gave the same distance and side illumination. The pattern and cut-off of the JWS was much more defined, but in terms of being able to see what's in front of you, there wasn't a significant difference. Certainly not enough difference in my opinion to warrant spending 5X the cost.

The downside is the lens on my headlights is glass and I've cracked two lenses due to submerging the hot headlights in cold water. The plastic on the JWS would not have cracked. Also, I've replaced 3 bulbs in 3 years. Still, that's a total of $75, so I've got a while to go before I catch up to the purchase price of the JWS.

You might also want to read this thread: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132521. The later posts say that a sub-$100 HID upgrade kit from Amazon/Ebay perform very well in the stock JK housings.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #10 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
Running hotter H13 bulbs in the stock housing and wiring didn't make a big difference for me. Changing the housings to standard H4/E-code lamps and replacing the thin 16AWG wiring harness with 12AWG made a huge difference.

I compared my lights side-by-side to J.W.Speaker and it seemed that my setup gave the same distance and side illumination. The pattern and cut-off of the JWS was much more defined, but in terms of being able to see what's in front of you, there wasn't a significant difference. Certainly not enough difference in my opinion to warrant spending 5X the cost.

The downside is the lens on my headlights is glass and I've cracked two lenses due to submerging the hot headlights in cold water. The plastic on the JWS would not have cracked. Also, I've replaced 3 bulbs in 3 years. Still, that's a total of $75, so I've got a while to go before I catch up to the purchase price of the JWS.

You might also want to read this thread: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132521. The later posts say that a sub-$100 HID upgrade kit from Amazon/Ebay perform very well in the stock JK housings.
Definitely agree. I switched out to Hella H4 housings and upgraded harness then about a year later went to the higher wattage bulbs. Did some night wheeling last weekend with a JK with bone stock lights and it reminded me how bad the stockers were. I ordered the HIDs for this trip but they didn't make it in until the day after I left for the weekend.

My glass held up fine for a couple years and of course, sometime during this trip, one lens cracked days before removing the whole conversion and going back to the stock reflectors.

post #11 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Wheeler

I would like leds but the price and little difference in illumination from hid is why I chose hid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode