Installing Metal Cloak 2.5" Duroflex Kit today, questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 11-23-2013, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Installing Metal Cloak 2.5" Duroflex Kit today, questions

Does anyone have the approximate control arm lengths for the 2.5" lift?

The guys at Metal Cloak don't have instructions for each of their lifts. They give generic instructions for their 3.5" lift and then basically say that if you have a 2.5" lift, take it to a 'professional'. No knock on you 'professional' shops, but I don't need anyone to install my lift. Just some basic instructions would be fine.

Anyone have some measurements?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles

Last edited by BigMike; 11-25-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Rock God

Control arm length is a byproduct of what matters.

The upper and lower bump stops need to be concentric (fore-aft) at full bump, the axles need to be square to the frame, and pinion angle/caster needs to be correct. Get those right and let the lengths be what they will be.
post #3 of 30 Old 11-23-2013, 09:55 AM
JKO Addict!

It is simple geometry.
A squared x B squared= C squared

Where A is the length of the factory control arm B is the change in suspension height and C would be the length of the adjustable control arm.

This would be used to find the lower control arm length to place the axle in the factory location centered in the wheel well. Adjust the uppers for proper pinion/caster angles.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link

Last edited by thedirtman; 11-23-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 11-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

Why not just start with the 3.5" lengths and adjust from there? You are going to adjust them anyway even if MC gave you a set of lengths to start with. I bet you would find it not so big of a difference in lengths anyway.

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
post #5 of 30 Old 11-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Rock God

I saw something on this in "new posts", did you not get it?

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #6 of 30 Old 11-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Wheeler

Center the front axle so that the spring perches are alignedd with the upper control arm and then use the lower control arm to adjust the caster and/or pinion angle. The rear axle is just the oppposite. The lower control arm is used to center the axle and the upper control arm is used to set the pinion angle.

2011 JK Rubicon - 5.7 VVT, 545 RFE transmission, Areoforce Gauges, Coast 1310 Drive Shafts, ORW Transmission Cooler, Metalcloak control arms & 2.5" Springs, Bilstien 5100, 4.56 Gears, Teraflex Front Big Brakes, C Gussets, GenRight Front & rear bumpers, LOD Rock Rails, 9.5 SR Superwinch, SPOD, Viair compressor, Boom Mat, Backup Camera, Truck-Lite Headlights, Rigid D2
post #7 of 30 Old 11-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Rock God

Control arms don't have "duties." Adjusting either pair will result in a fore-aft and rotational change. Following the "duties" methodology indicates a geometryic misunderstanding.
post #8 of 30 Old 11-23-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdave View Post
Center the front axle so that the spring perches are alignedd with the upper control arm and then use the lower control arm to adjust the caster and/or pinion angle. The rear axle is just the oppposite. The lower control arm is used to center the axle and the upper control arm is used to set the pinion angle.
Makes perfect sense, thanks.

My main complaint was the instructions. I mean, installing a MC 2.5" lift on a 2D JK - each control are should measure x" or at least get you 90% of the way there.

Good news is that the front is done and I'll get the rest finished up tomorrow.

Name:  rubi.jpg
Views: 3247
Size:  72.5 KB

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles

Last edited by BigMike; 11-23-2013 at 07:05 PM.
post #9 of 30 Old 11-23-2013, 07:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah that is the one item they need to figure out. Telli guys tours on the 2.5" system is dumb.

I would pull of some other instructions (poly/rk) see what they recommend for lenghts and use that as a starting point.

Something I had to do when I ran poly coils and Rk arms

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #10 of 30 Old 11-23-2013, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Big thanks to Toycollector (Mike) for stopping by today and lending a hand.

, Granite,
post #11 of 30 Old 11-24-2013, 08:20 AM

BigMike,

It was a pleasure. First time I helped wrench on anything so clean. You sure you are gonna get that thing dirty ??
post #12 of 30 Old 11-24-2013, 09:15 AM
JKO Addict!

You can't really give a set number on Ca lengths. No two jeeps are going to be alike. Weight and overall height, bracket positions from the factory, aftermarket/stock driveshafts, etc.
Too many variables.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #13 of 30 Old 11-24-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
You can't really give a set number on Ca lengths. No two jeeps are going to be alike. Weight and overall height, bracket positions from the factory, aftermarket/stock driveshafts, etc.
Too many variables.

Yeah, I get that. But they give measurements to get you very close for the 3.5" lift, why can't they do it for the 2.5" lift. But if you take 10 stock Jeeps and install the same lift on all 10, I'll bet the control arm lengths are within an 1/8" of each other with most being identical.

I got it dialed in pretty close and will tweak it from there.

The overall lift gain from this 2.5" lift is 4.25" in the front and 4" in the back.

, Granite,
post #14 of 30 Old 11-24-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyCollector View Post
BigMike,

It was a pleasure. First time I helped wrench on anything so clean. You sure you are gonna get that thing dirty ??
I was going to go on the GATR Thanksgiving ride on the 30th but I'll be in Waynesville, NC for the weekend. Hoping they have a ride in December. It's way too clean, but it was nice not having to deal with dirt, rust, or grease when installing the lift. It now has 45 miles on the odo.

, Granite,
post #15 of 30 Old 11-24-2013, 04:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Jesus that's high. Assuming she will settle some ?

Looks fantastic though !!!

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #16 of 30 Old 11-24-2013, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Jesus that's high. Assuming she will settle some ?

Looks fantastic though !!!

Pretty sure that MC measures their lifts based on a steel bumpered and armored JK. ACE Pro Series bumpers should be here on Wednesday.

, Granite,
post #17 of 30 Old 11-24-2013, 06:27 PM

Mike,

I swung by on my bike around 1:30ish but your door was shut so figured you were either finished or hadn't started yet. It looks great, and let me know if you need a hand with the bumper(s).
post #18 of 30 Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyCollector View Post
Mike,

I swung by on my bike around 1:30ish but your door was shut so figured you were either finished or hadn't started yet. It looks great, and let me know if you need a hand with the bumper(s).
Thanks! You should have pounded on the door. Too cold to leave it open. By the time John got there at 12:30, I had the rear installed. Spent the next few hours going over it and installing the swaybar links and front track bar. Rides like a dream.

, Granite,
post #19 of 30 Old 11-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Rock God

Looks good Mike.
post #20 of 30 Old 11-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Granite Guru

^^ X2. now I know how mine will look when I get around to installing my lift. Seems a bit taller than I expected. was hoping you might post your C/A's measurements when you get them dialed. thanks

Mike M

2013 2dr rubi
MC 2.5", Fox RR TF tuned shocks, TF carrier, Viair, TL's and so on...... still on stock tires
post #21 of 30 Old 11-25-2013, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
^^ X2. now I know how mine will look when I get around to installing my lift. Seems a bit taller than I expected. was hoping you might post your C/A's measurements when you get them dialed. thanks
I'll be sure to post them up. I will probably wait until after I install the bumpers and winch to dial it in (couple of weeks).

, Granite,
post #22 of 30 Old 11-25-2013, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Update:

Talked to Matson at MC. They are in the process of putting together specific instructions for all of their kits. Great news and I'll still post up my measurements.

Ride quality. I have less than 20 miles driving on the lift so it is a bit difficult to give a good review. I'll post more as time goes on. My initial thoughts are that I can feel a difference in the suspension but more from the agressive tires. I have 28lbs in the tires and haven't done a chaulk test on them yet. The ride quality is good and a little more firm than stock - which is to be expected. The JK feels very planted and is more responsive to steering input and not vague like it was stock. The ride quality is so far above that of my '09 Rubicon that had the stock suspension and a 2.5" RC spacer lift.

I'm looking forward to getting the bumpers, winch, and some armor installed and I think the ride will get even better. I drive between Atlanta and Daytona about every 2 months and will see how it feels after driving for 6.5 hours. I made two 12 hour (one way) trips in my '09 and while it didn't kill me, it took its toll on me.

, Granite,
post #23 of 30 Old 11-26-2013, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post

The overall lift gain from this 2.5" lift is 4.25" in the front and 4" in the back.

Will @ Metal Cloack contacted me yesterday after he saw the results of my lift. He asked me to check the part numbers on my springs. They sent the 3.5" springs instead of the 2.5" springs. Makes sense now. The kit comes in 5 boxes where 2 of the boxes are the front and rear springs. Easy mistake to make. Changing out the springs is no big deal so I'll slip the new ones in when they come.

I'm getting my bumpers today and will install them on Sunday. If the new springs are here I'll put those in and dial in the control arms. It will be interesting to see the pictures between comparing the two lifts. You will get to see the same Jeep/setup with 3.5" and 2.5".

, Granite,
post #24 of 30 Old 11-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Wheeler

If possible, could you post the part#"s for the springs as well when posting the CA measurements. The 2.5" is in my future plan & the parts#'s would be good to have to double check. Thanks.

Can't wait to see how the Jeep look with the 2.5" springs.
post #25 of 30 Old 11-30-2013, 09:28 AM

Mike, let me know if you need a hand. We're so close, I'd be happy to make a run over there again, plus it keeps me out of trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode