Roll Cage Crash Test - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-22-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Roll Cage Crash Test

I saw this pop up on Facebook so I apologize if it is a re-post.

However, this is pretty interesting as a lot of people assume their custom role cage is safe.

LiveLeak.com - Crash testing a Sprint car

Info:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Jeepineer

Garage

The second I saw the "cage" of the car I had a big complaint, but I saved judgment untill I watched the whole video.

In the "roof crash", you see the whole top of the cage crumble. This is 100% due to the fact the cage has tubes built in shear; triangulation meeting in the middle of a tube with no complimentary "flow" out of that intersection, or node, to somewhere else on the cage. The video proves the cage will crush in this area, and IMO, proves it was a poorly designed cage for roof impact; something that I noticed in the first images of the cage/chassis.

My point: that "A pillar" if you want to call it that, by the driver, is poorly supported and poorly designed and essentially has a built in crumple section that would personally raise a big red flag were that a "custom cage" on an offroad rig...

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.

Last edited by JKred07; 11-22-2013 at 12:28 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Rock God

Here's a proper cage. http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/11/...retty-7717242/

Hasport Hondata Insight car #2010 Crashes at El Mirage Nov '13 - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
The second I saw the "cage" of the car I had a big complaint, but I saved judgment untill I watched the whole video.

In the "roof crash", you see the whole top of the cage crumble. This is 100% due to the fact the cage has tubes built in shear; triangulation meeting in the middle of a tube with no complimentary "flow" out of that intersection, or node, to somewhere else on the cage. The video proves the cage will crush in this area, and IMO, proves it was a poorly designed cage for roof impact; something that I noticed in the first images of the cage/chassis.

My point: that "A pillar" if you want to call it that, by the driver, is poorly supported and poorly designed and essentially has a built in crumple section that would personally raise a big red flag were that a "custom cage" on an offroad rig...
X2. A lot in dead and unsupported tube. No surprise it did that. I don't assume my custom cage will be perfect in a highway roll, but it is a lot better then stock and it's done its job both times I have used it.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-22-2013, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
X2. A lot in dead and unsupported tube. No surprise it did that. I don't assume my custom cage will be perfect in a highway roll, but it is a lot better then stock and it's done its job both times I have used it.
I just found the video interesting because a lot of the cages I see in JKs have lots of space between supports and I often wonder how that impacts crumble zones.

It would be a bit ironic if your roll cage prevented you from death on the trail but actually caused it while driving home.

Info:

|
post #6 of 11 Old 11-23-2013, 08:00 PM
JKO Addict!

I am pretty sure I am fine.....or really really dead
post #7 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 06:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Would have worked better if it was made of aluminum.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #8 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 06:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
Would have worked better if it was made of aluminum.

No carbon fiber anymore?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 04:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Crappy cage design, crappy results. Crappy informative video, crappy company. What is their point?

Last edited by FireTrail741; 11-24-2013 at 04:40 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTrail741 View Post
Crappy cage design, crappy results. Crappy informative video, crappy company. What is there point?
That a lot of the cages out there are crappy.

Next time I'll make sure and point that out for you.

Info:

|
post #11 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 04:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

no shot at you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode