Weld on sliders - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 11-20-2013, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Weld on sliders

Okay folks, looking for those who are running the EVO and VKS weld on sliders. Gimme your feedback, especially if it's anything bad. I really don't have time to build my own and I need to get off the body mount sliders asap!

It seems like either of these would work well but would like to hear a final verdict based on your personal hardcore use. I pound on the jeep a little hard sometimes so I really need quality and strength.

I've seen the various threads but am looking more for a personal experience response here. Thanks!

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Rock God

I love mine. I was running modified Rubi sliders before. These are a huge upgrade compared. I haven't had a single issue or complaint yet. If you're ever in SoCal for a weekend hit up Steve, RedDragons. He made mine almost identical to the ones Evo sells for around the install price Evo charges. I'll snap a picture tonight if you want to see them.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Rock God

love my VKS Rails.....have beat on them pretty good the last two trips...lots of scrapes but these things are solid as heck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jeeperjkjeeper; 11-21-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had weld-on EVO sliders on my old JK; I have Shrockworks sliders welded on my current JK. I'll only run weld-on sliders.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #5 of 22 Old 11-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Rock God

Here's my set. Like I said they are great.

post #6 of 22 Old 11-20-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Those look good. He did a nice job. Probably won't be in Cali anytime soon though. Sucks too cause after running the Con in July I drove right past VKS territory in Fresno and could have stopped in and just had him tag a set on but it was Sunday night when we rolled through town...figures, right.

How bout some hard core users out there running these...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #7 of 22 Old 11-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Rock God

I built mine that are very simular to Evo and VKS. They are welded to frame as well you can see them on my build. I have beat on them and can high lift off them. Love them

My build

post #8 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 08:13 AM
Granite Guru

What body sliders are you running right now? I am looking at getting these for my jku.
http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/jeepjk.htm
post #9 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbs2008JK View Post
I built mine that are very simular to Evo and VKS. They are welded to frame as well you can see them on my build. I have beat on them and can high lift off them. Love them
Jacking from them is static. Dropping down onto rocks is dynamic. The forces exerted onto the sliders during the latter are magnitudes higher than the former. Being able to jack up the Jeep off the sliders isn't a valid test for strength.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Rock God

I know that. Mine have hits so hard that you kidneys hurt and teeth chatter. They are super strong. I just listed the other benefits of them.

My build

post #11 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89yjon View Post
What body sliders are you running right now? I am looking at getting these for my jku.
I am running these on my 2 door, bolted/welded them on, I like them alot! They have been punished @ Rausch Creek and only had to touch up the scrapes/drags with a rattle can. Was previously running Shrockworks sliders, they also took alot of punishment. Reason for change was I added a body lift and did not want to wait months for modified Shrockworks. White Knuckle shipped within a week.

08 Rubicon 2DR Red Rock

post #12 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89yjon View Post
Before running tub mount sliders I really knew better than to do it but needing a good step for Meg required a compromise so I started with Brawler Rockers which slid in the rocks great but didn't hold up to abuse very well. Robb sent me a set of Billy Rockers to try out and I have beat the shit outta them but due to my driving habits I require much more protection. I have done some pretty extensive damage to the tub and the doors don't work well at all now.

As I stated, I really just dont have the time to fabricate something myself so I'm looking at the EVO & VKS sliders. I don't want anything that hangs down too low or anything that sticks out too far so as not to get hung up in the rocks.

post #13 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Rock God

Why not get the VKS ones without the legs mounted? That way you can position the slider how you like. You can angle them the way you like so you still have somewhat of a step for her but angled up enough to not catch on rocks.
post #14 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Wheeler

Subscribed
post #15 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavallini03 View Post
Why not get the VKS ones without the legs mounted? That way you can position the slider how you like. You can angle them the way you like so you still have somewhat of a step for her but angled up enough to not catch on rocks.
Well at this point in the game I'm all about protection v/s the convenience of a step. Meg will have to get a step stool from here on out. lol

Keeping the slider high and tight to the body for clearance is most important and the step aspect will remain secondary. I'm spending some time this weekend at a local fabricators new shop and will see what we might come up with otherwise I'll just order the VKS sliders. David got back to me this morning regarding the specs on the VKS sliders and really it seems they are exactly the same as the EVO with exception of a few small details cosmetically.

Still looking for good or bad feedback until after this weekend. Anyone have pics of their rig all up in the shit with beat up sliders? Wouldn't mind seeing a set with real use battle scars.

post #16 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 02:20 PM
VKS Fab

Here some random pics of the set on my JK. They have a couple trips on them since I touched them up.

Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1385068712.270772.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  120.4 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1385068746.749512.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  109.3 KB

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #17 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
Before running tub mount sliders I really knew better than to do it but needing a good step for Meg required a compromise so I started with Brawler Rockers which slid in the rocks great but didn't hold up to abuse very well. Robb sent me a set of Billy Rockers to try out and I have beat the shit outta them but due to my driving habits I require much more protection. I have done some pretty extensive damage to the tub and the doors don't work well at all now.

As I stated, I really just dont have the time to fabricate something myself so I'm looking at the EVO & VKS sliders. I don't want anything that hangs down too low or anything that sticks out too far so as not to get hung up in the rocks.

Do you have any pics of the brawlers? I was thinking of running those but now might just get the frame mounted ones...
post #18 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 04:19 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I have VKS on my JKU and have used them plenty. They are very stout and I haven't been concerend about dropping on them or scraping them or anything of the sort.

I have noticed that they flex into the pinch seam along the bottom of the body enough to chip the paint off the mounts. Keep this in mind when you're squaring them up. There is some movement in the rails or in the thin-walled frame on these JKs. I probably mounted them a little high on the frame rail too though.

They make a great step and I find myself using them as I get in more often than I imagined. I don't step up and then sit down into the Jeep, but I use it to heave-ho into it.

post #19 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Rock God

I've noticed mine tend to hit the pinch seam on occasion. It's very minor but I've come down on them really hard a bit. The pic I posted was the day after they were installed. I have a few dents in them now, but they are by far a killer design. I skipped having a logo or pic cutout on the ends due to mud/dirt and crap building up. You won't regret it. Evo wanted to charge me $350 just to install their sliders.
post #20 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks again David for getting back to me and for the pics. Glad to see you have these too Marcus. I'll try calling you tomorrow to order those damn shock brackets...lol. Called you the other day but you were out and haven't had much time during the day lately.

Anyway guys, thanks for the feedback. It really helps. I'm not so much worried about a little dent here and there on the pinch and I will look at holding them down enough to maybe avoid hitting during a hard impact. About how far down are you guys mounting them and how much space is between the rail and the pinch seam? Also do you know about how much they actually flex under a load?

I have to leave a set of tub armor in place to hide all the damn rivnut holes in the tub. I think I probably have like twenty holes or something like that. lol. Rob custom made custom Billy Rocker armor to match up to most of the old PSC mounting holes but there are still a shit ton of them.

post #21 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Rock God

I mounted mine so the bottom of the frame mounts are even with the bottom of the frame....I can fit a finger in between the pinch seam and rail.....they are holding up awesome and I have come down hard on them a few times now.

Last edited by jeeperjkjeeper; 01-30-2014 at 06:51 PM.
post #22 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Cool. Thanks.

I could kick myself in the ass for not just stopping in to see David when passing though in July. Typical dumbass at your service here...lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode