Replacing 14 bolt spindle??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Replacing 14 bolt spindle???

So, FML. I have just been buttoning up my GM AAM 10.5 getting it ready to go under the Jeep and got all the way to sliding in the second axle shaft when I realized the spindle was bent. At first I thought it was the axle shaft, nope straight as an arrow. Then I thought it was the axle tube, nope good to go. That is when I decided to remove the hub and look at the spindle. Sure enough it looks like the truck this came off of was in some sort of rear end collision and bent the spindle forward a hair. I've searched all over, but I cannot find anything on replacing a rear spindle on these. Do they even sell the replacement spindles? Alternatively, anyone have any ideas on straightening the spindle back out without distorting the bearing surfaces?

I have learned a very hard lesson.....ALWAYS check out the junkyard axle closely before going bonzai on building it. Seems a bit like common sense now that I look back on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Call Micah at Hudlow gear and axle. He should be able to help you out.

They are up north in Rossville, Ga

423-362-3006

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TCdawg; 11-19-2013 at 12:36 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I would have thought the lesson to be learned here would be not to buy 42" tires with no clue of what it takes to run them.

Why don't you just buy a new housing with new spindles? Your spending over $60k on this thing, what's another grand and you will gain some ground clearance.
If you do not have something productive to say, please back off. I am so sick and tired of people with this type of attitude. I now know what it takes to run 42's. I'm doing quite a bit of this myself after 100+ hours of reading others buidl threads and talking to vendors. I am working on this by myself and I know I am going to make a few boneheaded moves along the way. I'm not on here bitching, I'm just asking a question that I could not find the answer to. Dirtman, I know you know your shit. You've been there and done that and that's cool. I took your's and others advice at the beginning of this and have learned a ton along the way. But just because you know your shit does not meant you get to talk down to others. Thanks for your previous advice and I hope I just caught you on a bad day. I look forward to your constructive feedback in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Call Micah at Hudlow gear and axle. He should be able to help you out.

They are up north in Rossville, Ga

423-362-3006
I just spoke to them and they my be my only route right now. Thanks for the tip.
post #5 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 01:49 PM
WINNAR!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I would have thought the lesson to be learned here would be not to buy 42" tires with no clue of what it takes to run them.

Why don't you just buy a new housing with new spindles? Your spending over $60k on this thing, what's another grand and you will gain some ground clearance.
If this theory held true we'd all be driving stock rigs from the 30's.

PyratM - I went through this exact situation. I ended up ditching my bent up junkers for Torq 14's. They have a builder kit that allows you to swap your stuff over and it is nice.

Your cheapest easiest bet is to get a new housing from the junk yard. Just run an axle alignment bar through it before you buy it.

You can cut and weld new spindles in place but it depends on how far in the bend is. There are a few different places offering billet 14 bolt hubs. More money and more work than getting a replacement housing.

I haven't been keeping up with your thread but how far into the housing are you? Do you have brackets and tabs on it?

Andy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOKEY View Post
If this theory held true we'd all be driving stock rigs from the 30's.

PyratM - I went through this exact situation. I ended up ditching my bent up junkers for Torq 14's. They have a builder kit that allows you to swap your stuff over and it is nice.

Your cheapest easiest bet is to get a new housing from the junk yard. Just run an axle alignment bar through it before you buy it.

You can cut and weld new spindles in place but it depends on how far in the bend is. There are a few different places offering billet 14 bolt hubs. More money and more work than getting a replacement housing.

I haven't been keeping up with your thread but how far into the housing are you? Do you have brackets and tabs on it?
I have about 20 hours into this axle so far. Between cutting the brackets off, sandblasting everything, rebuilding the hubs with bearings and seals, pressing new studs, turning down the hubs for the tone rings, installing the tone rings, shaving the bottom of the housing for the 13 bolt cover, welding the axle bridge, and painting I really don't want to start over. The shop mentioned above will machine me a new spindle and weld it on for about $350.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Rock God

X2

The Torq 14 Housing is the ticket. Stronger, lighter, and already cut off. Just transfer all the other parts from ur 14 Bolt and save a lot of headache and stronger Axle.
post #8 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

Cut it off and burn a new one in. No need to buy a $2000 housing.
post #9 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Rock God

wondering how much the cost of cutting, burning and finding a replacement and all that headache. unless you are doing it urself plus getting rid of the wrap after the burn?
I thought the housing is 1100 bucks but may be i am worng.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK07 View Post
wondering how much the cost of cutting, burning and finding a replacement and all that headache. unless you are doing it urself plus getting rid of the wrap after the burn?
I thought the housing is 1100 bucks but may be i am worng.
The housing with spindles is $1100 but it's worthless without the addition of the $1100 3rd member. He said a shop quoted him $350 to cut and burn in a new spindle.
post #11 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Rock God

I thought the 14B Third member can be reused along with all the other parts. In that case RuffStuff also has a housing which can accomadate stock parts.
post #12 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 PM
JKO Addict!

He has the wrong flavor of 14 bolt, it is a newer aam without the drop out third.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #13 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 11:54 PM
VKS Fab

There isn't an OEM 14 bolt drop-out housing other that the old eaton style and the aftermarket mfg's (torq, solid ect.). Changing the spindle is no big deal, that would be your best bet. As long as the shop doing the work as the proper tooling (alignment bar fixture) you'll be good to go.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #14 of 22 Old 11-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Granite Guru

just throwing this out there http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...g/14BSPIN.html

Quote:
-I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
post #15 of 22 Old 11-20-2013, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I wonder if the AAM 10.5 spindles are the same as standard 14 bolt spindles. I guess I need to do some reading.
post #16 of 22 Old 11-20-2013, 07:22 PM
VKS Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratM View Post
I wonder if the AAM 10.5 spindles are the same as standard 14 bolt spindles. I guess I need to do some reading.
What are your inner/outer/seal bearing #'s?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #17 of 22 Old 11-20-2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'll look tomorrow.
post #18 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Notice how the gage is contacting the threads in the first photo. I locked that angle in place and moved it over to the other side. Almost .25" from touching.

Last edited by PyratM; 12-18-2013 at 03:39 PM.
post #19 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 11:29 AM
CUNT

Location: The Land of the Polite, Where shits covered in Ice.

Quote:
Notice how the gage is contacting the threads in the first photo. I locked that angle in place and moved it over to the other side. Almost .25" from touching.
Fuck bro that sucks fucking balls, ive been watching your thread from the beginning and wish you the best.

I think your best bet is to get a new spindle machined and welded.

and to all the haters hating on this guy for doing his own work.....

go lick obama's nuts some more you fucking democrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMadole View Post
As previously mentioned, the key step in this process is saturating those whores in piss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maunder View Post
I just gotta say.. When you're being butt hurt by your fudge packer minions.. how do you decide which one gets to pull the pony tail n who's left to cup the balls.. If there is any..

Last edited by Matti; 11-21-2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: badd spelsslinggeeess
post #20 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 12:59 PM
WINNAR!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post

Andy

post #21 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Fuck bro that sucks fucking balls, ive been watching your thread from the beginning and wish you the best.

I think your best bet is to get a new spindle machined and welded.

and to all the haters hating on this guy for doing his own work.....

Thanks. That last part made me laugh. I'm going to get the bent spindle cut off and a new one welded on. I don't want to try to bend it back and then start eating bearings and wearing $625 tires due to a toe in condition.
post #22 of 22 Old 11-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Thanks. That last part made me laugh. I'm going to get the bent spindle cut off and a new one welded on. I don't want to try to bend it back and then start eating bearings and wearing $625 tires due to a toe in condition.
Smart move...

I don't know if you would get your torq stuff if you ordered it anyways

Texas Complete Truck Center
5670 S Interstate 35
New Braunfels, Texas
(210) 412-6379

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode