Rebuilding rear end internals, suggestions? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rebuilding rear end internals, suggestions?

So It looks like I will be building my rear end a little sooner than I thought. I recently discovered water in the diff that caused uneven wear that is now making a terrible whine and making me question it's integrity. I plan on running Yukon or Superior 5.13's, the Superior master install kit, a locker of some sort (ARB probably), and Ten Factory 30 Spline Axles. Unfortunately I will remain open until I can afford OBA . . unless I rig some sort of CO2 bypass for temp use. I have a couple of questions before I continue planning.

1. Do I need a master install kit if I purchase an ARB locker? the only difference is the bearings right? and the ARB comes with it's own that you have to use i believe.

2. Is there a significant difference between 30 and 32 spline? I'm coming from stock (27 spline?) and will not go over 37" tires. I live in Florida and will probably go to Ocala when I move more North next year but most of the time it will be mild Florida trails and mud. unfortunately I will rarley see anything fun but I would like to survive in the event I do. Point is I will not be making weekend trips to fun places like many of you fine 'gents get to.

3. I'm an axle n00b. can I get longer axles so I can rid myself of my spacers? . . . Longterm plan is to run recentered HMMWV Wheels and corresponding cheap 37" tires.

4/5. Are there any other brands/better price/performance parts out there that are recommended? Also any parts I am missing? I would like to stick with a selectable locker to make it the most streetable (read: no Detroit)

I cannot afford to go too overboard at this time. The only reason Im locking/ axles is because I'm in there already and would be a waste of money to hold off just to do it another time.

Thank you for your help. This will be a next-year project due to unexpected maintenance costs on my wife's car and the holidays.

2009, 2 Door X, Rancho 4" Sport Lift w/ 9000xl shocks, 35" Firestone Destination MTR on Spidertrax spacers Bulldog Front Bumper w/XRC8 Winch, LoD Rear Bumper, FinishLineWest Rock Sliders, 5.13 G2's, ARB Rear diff cover, LineX'd tub, JL Clean Sweep, JL 900/5 Amp, JL C5 components in front, JL Marine MX-770's in soundbar, JL FS-110 Marine sub, Tuffy security deck, HID's in Cibie's, Piaa 520s
jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 02:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If you are set on ARB you can do a 30 spline or 35 spline. Either way, you'll need new axle shafts as you have 27 spline now. 30 is stronger than 27, 35 is stronger than 30.

No, you can't get longer axle shafts that would get ride of your spacers.

Another good selectable locker is Ox.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 03:38 PM

If the OP is talking about the rear axle in a non-Rubicon, he has 30 spline axles already. He could upgrade to the ARB with 35 splines. The ARB comes with new carrier bearings included.

Last edited by 14JKU; 11-17-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Granite Guru

Run your stock 30sp shafts, and use that money toward a 30sp locker. Then when you get around to upgrading shafts, you have your stock shafts as trail spares.

G2 rear shafts might be an option. They are under $300, and have the same specs/warranty as Ten Factory. (I guess when they run out of their own, they buy some shafts direct from Ten Factory and slap their sticker on top)

Do you need full lockers? A pair of TrueTracs can be a great alternative for people who don't spend a lot of time with tires in the air, and you can get a pair of them for less than a single selectable locker.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 04:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14JKU View Post
If the OP is talking about the rear axle in a non-Rubicon, he has 30 spline axles already. He could upgrade to the ARB with 35 splines. The ARB comes with new carrier bearings included.
I must have been thinking 27 spline for the non rubi front. You're correct, non rubi rear, 30 spline

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14JKU View Post
Awesome . . I thought both front and rears had 27 spline . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJK View Post
Run your stock 30sp shafts, and use that money toward a 30sp locker. Then when you get around to upgrading shafts, you have your stock shafts as trail spares.

G2 rear shafts might be an option. They are under $300, and have the same specs/warranty as Ten Factory. (I guess when they run out of their own, they buy some shafts direct from Ten Factory and slap their sticker on top)

Do you need full lockers? A pair of TrueTracs can be a great alternative for people who don't spend a lot of time with tires in the air, and you can get a pair of them for less than a single selectable locker.
$$ is in short supply right now. If I have 30 spline in the rear and it isnt make or break (literally) to a 35 I would rather upgrade at a later date and not put the excess on the CC. I was only going to upgrade because I thought I had to w/ the spline change.

I would like fully selectable to make it more versatile. . . or else I could keep the stock limited slip. I was considering Detroits but the noise concerns me as does excess wear on tires. . . . I tend to take corners a little aggressively

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
I must have been thinking 27 spline for the non rubi front. You're correct, non rubi rear, 30 spline
so I was 1/2 right . . .27 in front, 30 in rear good to know.

2009, 2 Door X, Rancho 4" Sport Lift w/ 9000xl shocks, 35" Firestone Destination MTR on Spidertrax spacers Bulldog Front Bumper w/XRC8 Winch, LoD Rear Bumper, FinishLineWest Rock Sliders, 5.13 G2's, ARB Rear diff cover, LineX'd tub, JL Clean Sweep, JL 900/5 Amp, JL C5 components in front, JL Marine MX-770's in soundbar, JL FS-110 Marine sub, Tuffy security deck, HID's in Cibie's, Piaa 520s
post #7 of 12 Old 11-18-2013, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm trying to stay in-site with vendors when it comes time to order. Do ARB Lockers or Yukons ever/regularly go on sale? . . . I have some time but i'd hate to order/install to find out they tend to go on sale ever 60 months or so.

post #8 of 12 Old 11-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Granite Guru

ARB offers a free small compressor (lockers only) with one locker, and a free middle sized compressor (lockers and tire inflation) with two lockers. I think it ended in May or June this year?

Zip had a $75 rebate last year, don't recall seeing one this year.

Prices for the arb jumped $150 or so over the summer, don't know if they will go back down, but watch for the free compressor deal.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Wheeler

If you are doing a new set of gears, it is always a good idea to start at ground zero and install new bearings and races as well.

ARB is a good choice, and tough as nails. Ox is also a good choice, and tough as nails as well. Given choice between the two, I would go with ARB, expecially if you are going to offroad a lot. That push-button on/off for the locker is awesome, and the added bonus of onboard air is great to have. The OX can be finicky with cable adjustment if you dont get jam nuts super tight and the overall adjustment correct, bu tnot too bad with the new designs.

I wouldnt waste time with the ARB compressors, save up and go viaair or something that is a better duty cycle and allows faster air up for tires.

Good suggestion on keeping your stock axles, unless money permits to upgrade to 35 spline. I am of the philosophy of run it til it blows, because you are going to replace all the internals anyway. That would allow a little extra time to save up for the axles and compressor, then BAM! Ur done all in one shot. It is already screwed, right?
post #10 of 12 Old 11-18-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
If you are doing a new set of gears, it is always a good idea to start at ground zero and install new bearings and races as well.

ARB is a good choice, and tough as nails. Ox is also a good choice, and tough as nails as well. Given choice between the two, I would go with ARB, expecially if you are going to offroad a lot. That push-button on/off for the locker is awesome, and the added bonus of onboard air is great to have. The OX can be finicky with cable adjustment if you dont get jam nuts super tight and the overall adjustment correct, bu tnot too bad with the new designs.

I wouldnt waste time with the ARB compressors, save up and go viaair or something that is a better duty cycle and allows faster air up for tires.

Good suggestion on keeping your stock axles, unless money permits to upgrade to 35 spline. I am of the philosophy of run it til it blows, because you are going to replace all the internals anyway. That would allow a little extra time to save up for the axles and compressor, then BAM! Ur done all in one shot. It is already screwed, right?
Yes they are and If I am not mistaken the Dana 44 30 spline ARB locker includes carrier bearings. Of course since I am not going with axles no I will need to purchase axle seals.

post #11 of 12 Old 11-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Wheeler

IIRC (been awhile since I installed my last ARB), yes, they include new carrier bearings, as one of em is "short" (the air collar side).

Since you are not changing axles, you shouldnt require new axle seals. BE CAREFUL WITH THEM. They tend to get fucked up pretty easy. But, they are typically an "in stock at OReillys auto parts" item. The pita is having to remove the bearing, plate, retention collar, etc to get em on, and having to press everything back together. So, with that, I will reiterate. BE CAREFUL WITH THEM...lol

Or, just be smart and get new stuff for the axle shafts and be ready to have to replace them anyway. Dependent on mileage, I would probably go ahead and do it anyway, just to be safe. I try to be prepared and keep at least one set of axle bearings, seal, etc on hand in case my ham hands screw something up. I hate finishing a gear job only to see the fluid all leaking out at the axle end...

Last edited by The Beast; 11-18-2013 at 08:06 PM.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-18-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
IIRC (been awhile since I installed my last ARB), yes, they include new carrier bearings, as one of em is "short" (the air collar side).

Since you are not changing axles, you shouldnt require new axle seals. BE CAREFUL WITH THEM. They tend to get fucked up pretty easy. But, they are typically an "in stock at OReillys auto parts" item. The pita is having to remove the bearing, plate, retention collar, etc to get em on, and having to press everything back together. So, with that, I will reiterate. BE CAREFUL WITH THEM...lol

Or, just be smart and get new stuff for the axle shafts and be ready to have to replace them anyway. Dependent on mileage, I would probably go ahead and do it anyway, just to be safe. I try to be prepared and keep at least one set of axle bearings, seal, etc on hand in case my ham hands screw something up. I hate finishing a gear job only to see the fluid all leaking out at the axle end...
Thats one of the reasons for this mission, my axles are leaking (probably due to improper care after mudding ) . . and unfortunately I dont have the time or space to do gears so a shop will be doing the bulk of this for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode