Coilover questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 11-13-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Coilover questions

I got a used set of fox 14" coilovers off of a CJ-7 crawler with a V8 off the front, I bought them for $400, I do not know the spring rates on them but one, and its a 250. Will I be ok running the spring coils on the front of my JKU? Also sent the coilovers to get rebuilt, turns out all the internals r bad along with the collar locked up and bent shAfts and among some other things. The shop told me to just buy new ones the cost of the repairs equaled the price of two new ones $650. What shall I do? Also I'm running a 1.25" BL and I'll be using synergy coilover mounts up front; should I use 4.5" or 5.5" synergy rear spring to level this out?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 JKU rubicon Built, Turbo , 14"king coil overs ect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 11-13-2013, 11:59 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexacon View Post
I got a used set of fox 14" coilovers off of a CJ-7 crawler with a V8 off the front, I bought them for $400, I do not know the spring rates on them but one, and its a 250. Will I be ok running the spring coils on the front of my JKU? Also sent the coilovers to get rebuilt, turns out all the internals r bad along with the collar locked up and bent shAfts and among some other things. The shop told me to just buy new ones the cost of the repairs equaled the price of two new ones $650. What shall I do? Also I'm running a 1.25" BL and I'll be using synergy coilover mounts up front; should I use 4.5" or 5.5" synergy rear spring to level this out?

Call rebel or Evo and ask them what they recommend spring wise...Orw in San Diego has an idea as does john brindell at fox....
post #3 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Granite Guru

Sounds like the actual coil overs are far beyond repair, according to your shop.

The springs might still be good, on another set of coil overs.

Now are they the correct spring rate, all depends on the weight of your rig. Thinking the CJ weighs much less than the jk, so you might need different springs as well. I have a bunch of different springs sitting around from setting up the co's on my tj.

'17 Unlimited
'03 TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 AM
JKowners Vendor

250 over 350 is what we run on our 2 5/8 for the front. For 2.0 - 14 you are going to sit pretty tall with the Synergy Mounts. You will want to go with the tallest rear coil they have…

RK
post #5 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Do you know the sprung and unsprung weight of your JK? If yes, there are a couple spring calculators online from reputable companies that can give you an idea of what rates to go with. I also think there is an old thread on here were people share what they are running.

As for getting shafted with busted coilovers, if the money is the same, just buy new ones in my opinion...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 AM
JKO Addict!

You should start out by getting the weights of the corners on your jeep and decide how much lift you plan on running. Off road evolution typically uses 250/250 on their 12" travel shock. I did not care for the 250/250.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #7 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Rock God

I just got a set of 14's for my two door. I am starting at 200 over 300 with helper coils for the front and 175 over 250 with helpers for the rear, but plan to tune more from there. What mounts you are using and ride height will make a big difference. Get ready to start reading, because there are a ton of threads on coilover setups. Check out pirate.

post #8 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 01:32 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
You should start out by getting the weights of the corners on your jeep and decide how much lift you plan on running. Off road evolution typically uses 250/250 on their 12" travel shock. I did not care for the 250/250.
250 over 250? That would yield a straight rate with no transition. Are you sure? One of the big benefits of coil overs is that it is easy to add in a transition between rates.

RK
post #9 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6 View Post
Sounds like the actual coil overs are far beyond repair, according to your shop.

The springs might still be good, on another set of coil overs.

Now are they the correct spring rate, all depends on the weight of your rig. Thinking the CJ weighs much less than the jk, so you might need different springs as well. I have a bunch of different springs sitting around from setting up the co's on my tj.
That's what I don't know, the rate number are rubbed off. Yea I figured but I was hoping it would be close enough.
That would awsome!

post #10 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks guys great suggestions, I will run Synergy mounts up front, I talked to synergy they said I'd be about 6" of lift.
300/250 is what I'd want run from what I read. I know I have the 250 on them just not sure about that other. I'll check out Pirate just thought I'd run thing over here be4 going there.

post #11 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Btw guys I'm at 43" of flex right now with 3" on coil springs, would I be possible to get 60ish with 14" coilovers and 6pack shocks in the rear with 5.5" springs in the rear

post #12 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
250 over 250? That would yield a straight rate with no transition. Are you sure? One of the big benefits of coil overs is that it is easy to add in a transition between rates.

RK
Call me crazy but wouldn't that be an initial rate of 125 stepping up to 250 after the dual rate stop?
post #13 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 03:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post

RK
Yes that is what they sent me for the front, I thought it was kinda strange as well and it rode to high and too rough for a daily driver/rockcrawler.

Some build info here:

post #14 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 03:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexacon View Post
Btw guys I'm at 43" of flex right now with 3" on coil springs, would I be possible to get 60ish with 14" coilovers and 6pack shocks in the rear with 5.5" springs in the rear

Does this make any sense to anyone else?

Some build info here:

post #15 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 03:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I am guessing he is measuring the distance under one tire when the JK is at full stuff like a fork lift flext test and he is trying to gain an additional 17" of "flex" by only raising the JK ~3" more inches...

post #16 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 03:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
Call me crazy but wouldn't that be an initial rate of 125 stepping up to 250 after the dual rate stop?
Dont think so. I think its like one long 250 spring. If the two springs were parallel to each other, than each one gets half the weight and they would be 125 springs. Just me though

post #17 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 03:41 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Maybe he is talking one front wheel on a ramp or fork lift before any other wheel comes off the ground?

RK
post #18 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 03:42 PM
JKO Addict!

I was talking about the section that asks about running 5.5" coils, 6 pack shocks, and coil overs all on the rear. I would be curious on his definition of flex as well.

Some build info here:

post #19 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 03:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I was talking about the section that asks about running 5.5" coils, 6 pack shocks, and coil overs all on the rear. I would be curious on his definition of flex as well.
No Poly brackets and 14" coilovers up front. 5.5" coils and six packs in the back...

post #20 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Not really.

I think if you were able to get every inch of travel out of the suspension you would have something like:

14x4= 56"

That would be fully bottomed out at opposite corners and fully extended at the other corners.

I think you usually want to limit the extension about an inch via limiting straps and full compression by an inch or so via bumpstops

So realistically probably something more like:

12*4=48"

I might be thinking about it wrong too, because tire size plays into this as well.

post #21 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 03:58 PM
JKO Addict!

I would think it would be more then 14"*4 to determine max suspension travel. Wheel base and track will have an effect on it as well. I would really doubt 60" running 14" coil overs and 6 packs.

Some build info here:

post #22 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Rock God

This chart indicates WB doesn't really have an effect on the amount you can lift one tire while others remain planted (at least in stock configuration)

2 door vs 4 door with stock suspension

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/wrangler...html.html.html

post #23 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Dont think so. I think its like one long 250 spring. If the two springs were parallel to each other, than each one gets half the weight and they would be 125 springs. Just me though
But its not 1 long spring, its two springs each rated at 250lb/in. If you stack them and put 250lbs on top it will compress both springs, 1" each for a total of 2 inches or 125lb/in
post #24 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 04:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
But its not 1 long spring, its two springs each rated at 250lb/in. If you stack them and put 250lbs on top it will compress both springs, 1" each for a total of 2 inches or 125lb/in
so if I am holding 100 pounds over my head and stand on your shoulders, you are only supporting 50 pounds (excluding my own weight)?

post #25 of 41 Old 11-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
so if I am holding 100 pounds over my head and stand on your shoulders, you are only supporting 50 pounds (excluding my own weight)?
No. If you stack two 250lb/in coils and put 250lbs on top each coil will compress an inch. The top coils has to hold 250lbs, the bottom coil has to hold 250lbs plus the other coil. They will both compress an inch. That means your shock will compress 2". If 250lbs compresses your shock 2" your spring rate is 125lbs.

If you put the two coils side by side and put 250 pounds on top of both they would only compress .5"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode