Helped needed !! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-13-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Helped needed !!

I have a 2007 wrangler x, I'm currently running 35's , I have felt and rear 5.13 gears sitting in my garage. The reason I haven't gotten them installed is I simply don't fully understand the drivetrain, by upgrading the gears will I be adding stress to other key components? What other parts should I upgrade while doing this ? Also looking for input on lockers I have been doing some research and am starting to understand the function and the different kinda just still not sure on how to go about buying some in my case. Any help is appreciated ! Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecks10 View Post
I have a 2007 wrangler x, I'm currently running 35's , I have felt and rear 5.13 gears sitting in my garage. The reason I haven't gotten them installed is I simply don't fully understand the drivetrain, by upgrading the gears will I be adding stress to other key components? What other parts should I upgrade while doing this ? Also looking for input on lockers I have been doing some research and am starting to understand the function and the different kinda just still not sure on how to go about buying some in my case. Any help is appreciated ! Thanks !
Welcome. Installing gears isn't something you should tackle if you don't have the know how. I hope you didn't mean YOU were installing them.

It doesn't add any stress on other components. When I did my 5.13 I got a front locker, Teraflex diff covers for protection, and new gaskets (lube locker). I also got an AEV Procal to tell my auto tranny that my gear ratio changed and I am running 35's. I went with a lunchbox locker up front, Aussie, since I am in the desert and don't drive in snow it was perfect. The Aussie is undetectable in 2WD. Prior to selling my Jeep I was going to throw an air selectable in the rear, a Yukon Zip Locker.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #3 of 5 Old 11-13-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
Welcome. Installing gears isn't something you should tackle if you don't have the know how. I hope you didn't mean YOU were installing them.

It doesn't add any stress on other components. When I did my 5.13 I got a front locker, Teraflex diff covers for protection, and new gaskets (lube locker). I also got an AEV Procal to tell my auto tranny that my gear ratio changed and I am running 35's. I went with a lunchbox locker up front, Aussie, since I am in the desert and don't drive in snow it was perfect. The Aussie is undetectable in 2WD. Prior to selling my Jeep I was going to throw an air selectable in the rear, a Yukon Zip Locker.

-Dan
I also have aftermarket covers along with the lube locker gaskets, I'm just Wondering would it hurt to upgrade my axle? Would I need to look for a specific axle type I'm
Still in my research phase but am just really wanting to get it done before I put it in storage. As for the lockers I'm looking for something simple but will really help me on the trails or in the mud, any suggestions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Granite Guru

Gears won't add/remove much stress to the rest of the drive train.
The gears themselves do get a little weaker as you go higher since the pinion gets smaller, but it isn't much of an issue.

If your new to wheeling you will probably just want to get out there and ride as is with some other JK's, you'll learn first hand how various mods affect the overall performance and what limitations each type has.

If money is no object 35 spline ARB's front/rear is about the best setup you can get for a dual purpose rig IMO. That's what I'm running even though money is an object for me, I managed to get a good deal on a set someone was selling.

Jeepless
post #5 of 5 Old 11-13-2013, 06:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Running the 5.13 gears will actually reduce the amount of stress on your entire driveline from the engine to the transmission, transfer case, and driveshafts.
Type of lockers you use will be up to what you drive in and where, if you use 4wd during slick snowy driving on the road then you will want to run a selectable due to safety concerns.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode