ENGO winch issues - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-07-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ENGO winch issues

Bought a engo winch from river city off road. Great deal. 279 shipped…

Anyways, when the solenoid is centered like it should be, the cables are too short to get to the motor… So I had to slide it over to the side and got it to look crapy but fit.

Then I tried to get the cables hood up to the battery. Too short by about 6" unless I just drape the cable overtop the air box..

Anyone one else having these issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Wheeler

Yes and no, I made my own mount for the box which turned it 90 degrees and allowed the cables to fit properly. 10k here, not sure exactly what your model looks like but the standard mounting brackets were not working out correctly . I will be relocating that massive inconvenience to.......where ever I can get it to fit over the winter. Custom box too, mine has already started to lose its shape and is not very weather proof.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Rock God

10k engo here,100% out of the box worked and fit like a champ. Sorry you are having issues. :-/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-08-2013, 07:11 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-rated View Post
Bought a engo winch from river city off road. Great deal. 279 shipped…

Anyways, when the solenoid is centered like it should be, the cables are too short to get to the motor… So I had to slide it over to the side and got it to look crapy but fit.

Then I tried to get the cables hood up to the battery. Too short by about 6" unless I just drape the cable overtop the air box..

Anyone one else having these issues?
x-rated,

I've read that some people have had to switch the two cables that run from the winch body to the solenoid in order to get the solenoid to mount in the center of the winch. Hopefully this trick works for you! Report back and let us know...

As for the cables being too short to reach the battery, I haven't heard about that being an issue before. Your best bet would honestly be to call into Engo and see what they have to say about it. You could also give a shout to the dealer that you bought it from.

Good luck getting it straightened out and definitely hit me up if you have any questions in the future. We do a decent amount business with Engo and I might have a few here that we can take a look at to see if we can replicate the issue!

Ryan

Jake R. |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Off-Road Outfitters

Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PM me for our JKOwners Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
post #5 of 12 Old 11-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Granite Guru

I have a 10K mounted with no problems. I did have the winch fail over the summer but ENGO's customer service was top notch and sent me a replacement part double quick. They even gave me a number to call them on a Saturday for instructions on how to replace the part. He stayed on the phone with me the entire time while I fixed it. Pretty cool.

2012 Rubicon Unlimited, BDS 3" Springs, Bilstein 5100's, Metalcloak Front/Rear Control Arms, 35" Toyo Open Country MT on Mickey Thompson Classic II Black, Rugged Ridge XHD Stubby Front Bumper, Engo 10K Winch, Ace Rock Rails, PureJeep C-Gussets & Control Arm Skids, EVO Pro-Tek oil pan & Trans Skids, G2 Front Axle Shafts,Tera-Flex Front Sleeves
post #6 of 12 Old 11-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeMate View Post
I have a 10K mounted with no problems. I did have the winch fail over the summer but ENGO's customer service was top notch and sent me a replacement part double quick. They even gave me a number to call them on a Saturday for instructions on how to replace the part. He stayed on the phone with me the entire time while I fixed it. Pretty cool.
I had the same great support experience with them last month.

dan!
'07 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited
Latest mod: front RJ60, ARB, f450 outer knuckles, lockout hubs
post #7 of 12 Old 11-08-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Maybe I am trying to route the cables incorrectly. Anyone have a picture of where the mounted their cables?
post #8 of 12 Old 11-08-2013, 03:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sorry, I can't help with this, but I wanted to say... after I did the remote solenoid install for my current winch, I'll never run a solenoid outside the engine bay again. Take the time to mount it under the hood and you'll be glad you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #9 of 12 Old 11-08-2013, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I actually have the hood on the JK up right now looking for a spot. Don't see one at all. The engine bay in a 2013 JK doesn't have much room
post #10 of 12 Old 11-09-2013, 08:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah, I'm in an '09. I'm not sure where I'd put it in a '13. What about in the cab somewhere? There's probably room under the cowl (the piece that's replaced for the Rugged Ridge snorkel)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #11 of 12 Old 11-11-2013, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I got it in. Routed them differently… Used 1/2" rubber tube to insulate all the power wires to make sure they don't rub… Really happy with the install. Unfortunately once hooked up I powered out the winch and it sounded like gears were grinding apart on the inside… Powered it back in and it sounded okay… I am going to be pissed if I have to redo it all. Sent an email to Joel at engo, we will see what he says…

I read a post on here or on pirate where someone said he pulled the selector knob off and poured oil in the gear case. I know the gears are lightly greased from the factory… I wonder if the case would hold oil, or if it would just make a big mess
post #12 of 12 Old 11-11-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I called Engo. They seemed to think the noise might have been the brake and normal. This is the 4th winch I have owned, and none of them have ever made a different noise on power out than power in…. I will go do some test pulling and see if it doest it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode