mishimoto radiator - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 11-07-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 22,016
Feedback: 8 reviews
mishimoto radiator

Anyone running a Mishimoto radiator?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51...FYM9QgodRHAADA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 Old 11-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Rock God
 
10jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: On the shitter with my Mega Blocks
Posts: 580
Feedback: 0 reviews

YOu gotta leak?

2010 JKUR, 4" Pro C., 3/4" f Daystar spacer, 5.38's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Rear Ten Factory axle shafts, 1.5" wheel spacers, Pro C. 17 x 9 wheels, 38 x 14.50 x 17 MTR's, SuperChip FP, no fenders, B&M Tranny cooler, Magnaflow, Fr./ Rr. frame hacked off, HD Balls

29,000 miles as of 12/13/14
10jk is offline  
post #3 of 35 Old 11-07-2013, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 22,016
Feedback: 8 reviews

No, but jeeep runs hot. Someone suggested maybe plugged radiator and since new ones are about 150 this looks like a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 35 Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Rock God
 
10jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: On the shitter with my Mega Blocks
Posts: 580
Feedback: 0 reviews

would do a coolant flush and a power washer to the front rad and A/C condensor

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...c318TgiWN7cutQ

2010 JKUR, 4" Pro C., 3/4" f Daystar spacer, 5.38's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Rear Ten Factory axle shafts, 1.5" wheel spacers, Pro C. 17 x 9 wheels, 38 x 14.50 x 17 MTR's, SuperChip FP, no fenders, B&M Tranny cooler, Magnaflow, Fr./ Rr. frame hacked off, HD Balls

29,000 miles as of 12/13/14
10jk is offline  
post #5 of 35 Old 11-07-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 22,016
Feedback: 8 reviews

Did those already, along with new spal fan and shroud and new water pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
post #6 of 35 Old 11-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Rock God
 
10jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: On the shitter with my Mega Blocks
Posts: 580
Feedback: 0 reviews

Thermostat?

Worth a try

https://www.google.com/#q=jeep+jk+thermostat

2010 JKUR, 4" Pro C., 3/4" f Daystar spacer, 5.38's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Rear Ten Factory axle shafts, 1.5" wheel spacers, Pro C. 17 x 9 wheels, 38 x 14.50 x 17 MTR's, SuperChip FP, no fenders, B&M Tranny cooler, Magnaflow, Fr./ Rr. frame hacked off, HD Balls

29,000 miles as of 12/13/14
10jk is offline  
post #7 of 35 Old 11-07-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 22,016
Feedback: 8 reviews

Yeah did that too. along with the temp sending unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
post #8 of 35 Old 11-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Rock God
 
10jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: On the shitter with my Mega Blocks
Posts: 580
Feedback: 0 reviews

Yeah, I'd be scratchin my ass also, wonderin WTF, anyway, you've done all that I would have. I guess your headed down the right path......, let us know

2010 JKUR, 4" Pro C., 3/4" f Daystar spacer, 5.38's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Rear Ten Factory axle shafts, 1.5" wheel spacers, Pro C. 17 x 9 wheels, 38 x 14.50 x 17 MTR's, SuperChip FP, no fenders, B&M Tranny cooler, Magnaflow, Fr./ Rr. frame hacked off, HD Balls

29,000 miles as of 12/13/14
10jk is offline  
post #9 of 35 Old 11-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Granite Guru
 
SSrubi07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 40
Posts: 129
Feedback: 0 reviews

Looks like a great product, the price ain't bad either.

I am running Griffin's HD aluminum rad, and it works great in the 200-220 range, even on 122 degree weather. And it's core is only 1.25", This one says its 1.50", so I'd expect to do a better job at it.

If you decide to purchase it, please let us know your feedback on it.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 Sahara Unlimited, D44īs Supercharged LS on 37īs....
SSrubi07 is offline  
post #10 of 35 Old 11-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Rock God
 
Chipewa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington Hills MI
Posts: 1,184
Feedback: 0 reviews

What temps are you running at and what are the air temps? I'm thinking about adding that rad since I have FI, even though mine typically runs around 204 during the summer with air temps in the 80s. I've hit 240 climbing the Rockies which is why I'm considering more cooling capacity. Temps climb quickly with FI under load.

LS3 2007 JKU X - Red Rock, 2012 JKU Rubicon - Deep Cherry Red, 2001 TJ - Black
Chipewa is offline  
post #11 of 35 Old 11-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Wheeler
 
maniacal_rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Age: 38
Posts: 77
Feedback: 0 reviews

Unless you are overheating, then a larger capacity radiator is useless. The T-Stat controls the temp, so you are still going to be sending 200* (or whatever your T-Stat is) coolant back to the engine. All a larger radiator will do is create a larger dT at the stat, which will just have the stat close a bit. You wont see any difference.
\
maniacal_rick is offline  
post #12 of 35 Old 11-08-2013, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!
 
thaduke2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Upstate NY (I'm back, baby! :))
Age: 35
Posts: 2,145
Feedback: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

^ Absolutely incorrect. A larger, thicker radiator WILL reduce coolant temperature. It will keep the coolant cooler longer prior to reaching the thermostat's opening temperature, and will cool the coolant more effectively with the same airflow. The biggest downside (besides cost) is reduced airflow through the engine bay due to simply more material (and often denser material at that) in the way. At crawl speeds, this is hardly an issue, and this would only be a problem at high speeds- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
thaduke2003 is offline  
post #13 of 35 Old 11-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Rock God
 
10jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: On the shitter with my Mega Blocks
Posts: 580
Feedback: 0 reviews

Hey USMC, there was one other thing I wanted to ask ya, and that is, did ya ever look at the radiator cap. Those seals on that thing has to be good to get some pressure build up in the system. Might be worth a try to replace or inspect yours pretty close.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/2007-2011-j...07-2011j1.jcwx

2010 JKUR, 4" Pro C., 3/4" f Daystar spacer, 5.38's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Rear Ten Factory axle shafts, 1.5" wheel spacers, Pro C. 17 x 9 wheels, 38 x 14.50 x 17 MTR's, SuperChip FP, no fenders, B&M Tranny cooler, Magnaflow, Fr./ Rr. frame hacked off, HD Balls

29,000 miles as of 12/13/14
10jk is offline  
post #14 of 35 Old 11-08-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 22,016
Feedback: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSrubi07 View Post
Looks like a great product, the price ain't bad either.

I am running Griffin's HD aluminum rad, and it works great in the 200-220 range, even on 122 degree weather. And it's core is only 1.25", This one says its 1.50", so I'd expect to do a better job at it.

If you decide to purchase it, please let us know your feedback on it.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipewa View Post
What temps are you running at and what are the air temps? I'm thinking about adding that rad since I have FI, even though mine typically runs around 204 during the summer with air temps in the 80s. I've hit 240 climbing the Rockies which is why I'm considering more cooling capacity. Temps climb quickly with FI under load.
I hit 248 a couple of weeks ago climbing some long steep hills. Usually though it tops out at 224 and then starts coming down quickly since I have the spal fan and shroud on. This all started about 8 months ago when we did an overnight trip and the temps hit 28 degrees at night. Ever since then under load temps rise quickly. When just sitting at a stop light temps normally run around 203 - 209. I do live in tucson so summertime temps top out around 110 degrees. But even then the temp only went to 226 then went back down after the fan kicks into high mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10jk View Post
Hey USMC, there was one other thing I wanted to ask ya, and that is, did ya ever look at the radiator cap. Those seals on that thing has to be good to get some pressure build up in the system. Might be worth a try to replace or inspect yours pretty close.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/2007-2011-j...07-2011j1.jcwx
Yep,

New spal fan with shroud
New radiator cap
New water pump
New coolant
New Thermostat
New temp sensor

gonna order this radiator next week along witht their radiator hoses. If that doesn't work I am going to relocate my powersteering cooler and trans cooler to get everything except the A/C condensor out of the way. If that don't work, I am gonna blow the motor and then send the jeep to MoTech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
post #15 of 35 Old 11-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Granite Guru
 
CashMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Age: 36
Posts: 366
Feedback: 0 reviews

This reminds me of mine, I still haven't figured it out, thinking about blowing it up and sending it to motech too haha

Quote:
-I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
CashMoney is offline  
post #16 of 35 Old 11-09-2013, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 22,016
Feedback: 8 reviews

Well I will post up some results after I get this ordered and installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
post #17 of 35 Old 11-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Peachland, Okanagan valley, BC
Posts: 1,060
Feedback: 0 reviews

When your heating up is the fan on? I get the occasional situation that I over heat when the fan does not come. The fix so far has been turn off the ignition and turn it back on again. Other than running through the wire harness, which I don't think is the problem, I have narrowed it down to the PCM. I live with it at this time by using superchips programmer to change the temperature that the low speed and high speed fan circuits are used. Seems to help a lot and I run cooler. Never over 200.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JeepUpKeep37s is offline  
post #18 of 35 Old 11-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Wheeler
 
maniacal_rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Age: 38
Posts: 77
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
^ Absolutely incorrect. A larger, thicker radiator WILL reduce coolant temperature. It will keep the coolant cooler longer prior to reaching the thermostat's opening temperature, and will cool the coolant more effectively with the same airflow. The biggest downside (besides cost) is reduced airflow through the engine bay due to simply more material (and often denser material at that) in the way. At crawl speeds, this is hardly an issue, and this would only be a problem at high speeds- Mark W.
You are correct, to a point. You have to remember what is controlling temperature. True, a larger rad will more effectively cool the coolant...but the t-stat still controls the temperature. Its no different that running 220* in the 95* summer and 220*in 25* winter. Just because the coolant exiting the radiator is cooler (whether it be from ambient temperature, or the size of the radiator) you are still going to be operating at what the t-stat says. Now, if you have a 220* t-stat and are running in the 245* range, then yes a more efficient radiator will help.
maniacal_rick is offline  
post #19 of 35 Old 11-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 857
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacal_rick View Post
You are correct, to a point. You have to remember what is controlling temperature. True, a larger rad will more effectively cool the coolant...but the t-stat still controls the temperature. Its no different that running 220* in the 95* summer and 220*in 25* winter. Just because the coolant exiting the radiator is cooler (whether it be from ambient temperature, or the size of the radiator) you are still going to be operating at what the t-stat says. Now, if you have a 220* t-stat and are running in the 245* range, then yes a more efficient radiator will help.
exactly what i was going to say. you can have a radiator the size of your truck, but if your Tstat is made to open at 220, then that's how hot it will run. and a over sized rad might not even be the best thing, is it possible to over-cool the coolant in the radiator? possibly shocking the block?

for example, if you are running the larger aluminum rad and it's in the middle of winter and it cools the coolant down to almost 100* while the block temp is 220*, would it shock the motor when the tstat opens?

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
chknkatsu is offline  
post #20 of 35 Old 11-09-2013, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 22,016
Feedback: 8 reviews

Fan comes on at 215 and then goes into high speed at 222.

Tstat is 195.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
post #21 of 35 Old 11-10-2013, 05:57 AM
Rock God
 
Chipewa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington Hills MI
Posts: 1,184
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Fan comes on at 215 and then goes into high speed at 222.

Tstat is 195.
I thought the stock high fan setting was 215. Did you reprogram your fan settings?

LS3 2007 JKU X - Red Rock, 2012 JKU Rubicon - Deep Cherry Red, 2001 TJ - Black
Chipewa is offline  
post #22 of 35 Old 11-11-2013, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 22,016
Feedback: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipewa View Post
I thought the stock high fan setting was 215. Did you reprogram your fan settings?
Nope, it has always been like this. Maybe I need to go have that looked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
post #23 of 35 Old 11-11-2013, 07:22 AM
JKO Addict!
 
ockgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,298
Feedback: 2 reviews

Up to a point running hotter is more efficient than cooler. An engine is nothing more than a glorified heat pump, the more heat that can be kept from waste, IE exhaust and coolant, the more heat is available to move the vehicle.
Eliminating the cooling system is the holy grail for some engineers. Adiabatic (sp?) engines (no cooling system) are in their infancy, usually single cylinder diesels with ceramic based blocks and heads.

A lot of modern cars have fans that don't kick in until 220+, hell GM wasn't turning some fans on until 236.

If anyone has some time to kill, go to dieselplace.com and search for "LBZ cooling ". Guess some duramax's were running hot but not really showing on the gages, some of the guys did some intricate research, down to air pressure changes through the cooling stack, air pressure changes from in front of grill to behind engine, coolant flow rates, radiator inlet and outlet temps, etc. Lots of good theory there too if you can get through the typical forum crap.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ockgator; 11-11-2013 at 07:26 AM.
ockgator is offline  
post #24 of 35 Old 11-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Peachland, Okanagan valley, BC
Posts: 1,060
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
When your heating up is the fan on? I get the occasional situation that I over heat when the fan does not come. The fix so far has been turn off the ignition and turn it back on again. Other than running through the wire harness, which I don't think is the problem, I have narrowed it down to the PCM. I live with it at this time by using superchips programmer to change the temperature that the low speed and high speed fan circuits are used. Seems to help a lot and I run cooler. Never over 200.
This may have got lost in my original post. Sorry for being wordy.

Your right about the factory fan programming to come on at 215 and high speed at 225. I am setup at 190 and high speed fan at 195. It's been working so I rarely see 200.

I also plan on putting in a 180 Tstat when I change the coolant if I move to a milder climate. My home is for sale and I have a job in interior bc waiting for me so it is close to being reality. Can't wait to get to the Rockies.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JeepUpKeep37s; 11-11-2013 at 07:50 AM.
JeepUpKeep37s is offline  
post #25 of 35 Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 AM
Jeepineer
 
JKred07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Comminecticut
Posts: 1,495
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
This may have got lost in my original post. Sorry for being wordy.

Your right about the factory fan programming to come on at 215 and high speed at 225. I am setup at 190 and high speed fan at 195. It's been working so I rarely see 200.

I also plan on putting in a 180 Tstat when I change the coolant if I move to a milder climate. My home is for sale and I have a job in interior bc waiting for me so it is close to being reality. Can't wait to get to the Rockies.
Yes, you can use the superchip's programmer to adjust fan timing, but as ockgator pointed out, to an extent more heat is mobetta (more heat=more efficient, too much heat = degredation of parts). 220ish is what these engines call for an operating temp (at least that's what some engineer decided).

IMO, if you are not having overheating issues, don't turn your fan speeds on sooner. However, if your radiator is inneffective at sustaining proper operation temp, boosting high speed earlier may be help keep coolant temps down.

EDIT: and yes, a more efficient rad will help if your current radiatior can not meet the tstat setting even with the fan on high.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.

Last edited by JKred07; 11-11-2013 at 08:05 AM.
JKred07 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome