Installing a 2.5" suspension lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Installing a 2.5" suspension lift

So I'm about to get a 2014 4 door sport, and while I'm pretty mechanically inclined when it comes to replacing parts, I am not quite a genius in the upgrade department.

Therefore I want to know what lift kits are the best value (I'm on a budget), and also what other things should I think about upgrading in the suspension with doing a 2.5" lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 08:29 PM
JKO Addict!

What do you plan to do with your Jeep?

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #3 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Wheeler

2.5" and 33s.

call it a day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacabb View Post
What do you plan to do with your Jeep?
Mostly daily driver for a few years, but I will be doing some trail riding. I live in South Louisiana so there are a lot of mud holes.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Rock God

When you say budget, how much are we talking?
post #6 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavallini03 View Post
When you say budget, how much are we talking?
I would like to be under 600 with it.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 08:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardwel View Post
Mostly daily driver for a few years, but I will be doing some trail riding. I live in South Louisiana so there are a lot of mud holes.
I'd get a 2.5" budget boost, some nice shocks and call it a day.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #8 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacabb View Post
I'd get a 2.5" budget boost, some nice shocks and call it a day.
What about Daystar 3 in budget boost with scorpion shocks?
post #9 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Granite Guru

If you can spend 600 bucks, I would go with a Rock Krawler 2.5 kit and put it in yourself. (That is if your shocks are still in good shape.) It isn't very hard to instal and the benefits of being able to upgrade later is worth it. I have a budget boost on mine (I bought the Jeep used with the kit on it) and want to switch it out to a Rock Krawler as soon as possible. But if money is an issue, then the budget boost is a good option.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the options. If I do a budget boost with shocks and 35s what should be the next suspension upgrades?
post #11 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Wheeler

with 2.5, you really should go 33s
post #12 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Granite Guru

jcadwel,
Budget boosts and 35s don't work well together. Also, to have 35s you'll need to gusset the front end, cut the fenders (or buy flat fenders), re-gear both axles and flash the computer. I would go with a great lift kit and 33s before getting a budget boost and 35s. You'll save money and work on the JK until you complete the build for 35s.
post #13 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikey32 View Post
with 2.5, you really should go 33s
Why? If you want to save money on tires and gas then go 33s. You can do that now without a lift. Go with a leveling kit and you are way under budget. 90% say I should of gone with 35s right after getting 33s so if you want the bigger tires then spend your money accordinly.
post #14 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
jcadwel,
Budget boosts and 35s don't work well together. Also, to have 35s you'll need to gusset the front end, cut the fenders (or buy flat fenders), re-gear both axles and flash the computer. I would go with a great lift kit and 33s before getting a budget boost and 35s. You'll save money and work on the JK until you complete the build for 35s.
What would you consider a great lift kit to start with, to end up with a build for 35s. Basically I don't want to buy a lift kit and then buy another lift kit later on.
post #15 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
jcadwel,
What? Never knew I needed to gusset my d30 with 35s? The only thing I agree with is that you will want to get a programmer to fix your speedo and to turn off all the crap that comes on the dash with new tires. Many run bb with 35s and have no issues

Last edited by JAM JK; 11-05-2013 at 10:26 PM.
post #16 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Rock God

Quote:
jcadwel,
Wait so if you try to run 35's without doing those things your rig is going to have a catastrophic failure? Shit, we better inform half the people on this board they're in danger.

To the OP: If you just plan on daily driving with light trails you'll be fine with a budget boost and 33's or 35's. A lot of people recommend Teraflex's kit, although I haven't run it so I can't comment on it myself.
If you're looking for a bit more than a budget boost and want new coils then I highly recommend This. Synergy makes kick ass products that you can't go wrong with. You can pair it with stock shock extension brackets or if you wanna fork up the cash then pair it with the Fox IFPS.

Dirtman has an awesome write-up regarding suspension, I'm not sure if he posted it on this forum as well but you can find it Here.

Last edited by Cavallini03; 11-05-2013 at 10:41 PM.
post #17 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardwel View Post
What would you consider a great lift kit to start with, to end up with a build for 35s. Basically I don't want to buy a lift kit and then buy another lift kit later on.
Save your money until you can afford a more complete kit. Spending less money now will cause you to spend more later if handeling, ride quality and offroad capability is what you desire. If not go with a budget boost and put your 35s on and call it done.

Ps. Been with 3.21s with the 3.8 and 35s for a year. Ya its a dog but its livable until I can afford a gear swap.

Last edited by JAM JK; 11-05-2013 at 10:27 PM.
post #18 of 23 Old 11-06-2013, 06:58 AM
Granite Guru

Shit, I didn't know people would get upset with my post... On my first JK, I had 35s and within 6 to 7 months I bent the front end. I wish I would have spent the money to gusset first instead of having an expensive repair. As for re-gearing... acceleration and hills sucked! Jam-jk said it better then I did. I would save my money for a more complete kit.
post #19 of 23 Old 11-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

1st things first, when you get your 2014, make sure and get 3.73 gear ratio. Other than that if you want 35’s, then get 35’s. You will regret 33’s. You can absolutely run a 2.5” budget boost and 35’s. 4.10 will suit you better for 35’s, however you can’t get that ratio on a sport and you can’t get them in the aftermarket. 3.73 will do for now (better off than the 3.8L and 3.73) with 35’s. When you are ready to re-gear, 4.56 will do a body good. As for axle strengthening, it is recommended that you do at least inner C-Gussets but it isn’t needed. Just go easy, however they are inexpensive (about $70? Been a while), you would just need to pay someone to weld them on for you unless you can weld.

You can get something like this http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_0000.htm and even throw in an AEV Procal and come in right at budget. Now, is your tire budget separate from the $600 lift budget? 35’s aren’t cheap either. Please note, quadratec linked for info purposes, a better deal can probably be had from a vendor here Krawl Offroad or River City Offroad.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #20 of 23 Old 11-06-2013, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
1st things first, when you get your 2014, make sure and get 3.73 gear ratio. Other than that if you want 35ís, then get 35ís. You will regret 33ís. You can absolutely run a 2.5Ē budget boost and 35ís. 4.10 will suit you better for 35ís, however you canít get that ratio on a sport and you canít get them in the aftermarket. 3.73 will do for now (better off than the 3.8L and 3.73) with 35ís. When you are ready to re-gear, 4.56 will do a body good. As for axle strengthening, it is recommended that you do at least inner C-Gussets but it isnít needed. Just go easy, however they are inexpensive (about $70? Been a while), you would just need to pay someone to weld them on for you unless you can weld.

You can get something like this http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_0000.htm and even throw in an AEV Procal and come in right at budget. Now, is your tire budget separate from the $600 lift budget? 35ís arenít cheap either. Please note, quadratec linked for info purposes, a better deal can probably be had from a vendor here Krawl Offroad or River City Offroad.

-Dan
Dan, thank you. My tire budget is different from my lift budget.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #21 of 23 Old 11-06-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavallini03 View Post
Wait so if you try to run 35's without doing those things your rig is going to have a catastrophic failure? Shit, we better inform half the people on this board they're in danger.

To the OP: If you just plan on daily driving with light trails you'll be fine with a budget boost and 33's or 35's. A lot of people recommend Teraflex's kit, although I haven't run it so I can't comment on it myself.
If you're looking for a bit more than a budget boost and want new coils then I highly recommend This. Synergy makes kick ass products that you can't go wrong with. You can pair it with stock shock extension brackets or if you wanna fork up the cash then pair it with the Fox IFPS.

Dirtman has an awesome write-up regarding suspension, I'm not sure if he posted it on this forum as well but you can find it Here.
This is a great write up. I now have interest in piecing together my own kit. (after more research of course)
post #22 of 23 Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 PM

I put the Teraflex 2.5" budget boost with shock adapters on my 2014 sport. I installed 33" tires under it. While it looks great, I can't recommend the kit. The instructions on the Teraflex kit are the worst crap I've ever read in an instruction manual.

I was missing some key hardware from the kit that I didn't realize until I was well past the point of returning so the vehicle sat until I collected up the hardware I needed.

My biggest concern with the Teraflex kit was the use of grade 5 hardware when it should be minimum grade 8 (sae) or grade 10.8 (metric equivalent). I've replaced all the grade 5 I could with higher grade stuff but some of the hardware is custom and no way to replace. At some point I'll pull the budget boost and get a real 2.5" lift with adjustable control arms to remove the "flightyness" from caster in the front affected by the lift.

On the 2012-2014, the front brake line bracket has to be removed. There was nothing in the instructions on what to do with the bracket once removed so now it just sits there and dangles. It'll get tangled at some point, rip loose, and I'll have no brakes. I've ordered a crown +2.5" stainless steel kit that includes new brackets to mount in the OEM location so the brake line (and the ABS line attached to it) is out of the way.

Last edited by kenn; 11-14-2013 at 10:28 PM.
post #23 of 23 Old 11-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Wheeler

I've got a 2014 JK Unlimited Sport and I just bought a teraflex performance leveling kit with the new coils and 305/70/17 Nitto Tera grapplers. It'll be here and I'll have it on a week or so. I'll let you know how it works out and looks. I wanted to go 3.5" rock Krawler and 37's like my last JK but I'm in the same situation with a 90 mile round trip to work with moderate wheeling until I've got a shorter drive. Definitely give him a call. He'll treat you right with price and information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode