Anyone seen a Magnum V8 swap in a JK? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-05-2013, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Anyone seen a Magnum V8 swap in a JK?

As cheap as I am, I have a short block 5.9L +0.020" in my garage that was intended for the 'Cuda. I've seen a few TJ Magnum swap kits, but a Magnum with a factory TBI would be more than enough for me in my JK. Stand-alone and stroked would be even more fun though

Anyone seen one done with links or any info on the electronics? I'd need to look into state inspection requirements as well. But I'm just tossing it out there to see if it's been looked into at all.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Rock God

I doubt it, because the last year that engine was in production the JK wasn't even close to being produced yet.

I'm still curious why no one has tried a 4.7 yet. It's smaller and lighter than a Hemi and makes just a few HP less. I've heard that it's an electronics issue, but if it can be solved for the Hemi, couldn't it be solved for the 4.7?

And I'd think you can probably find 4.7's cheaper.

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
2010 Jeep JK Sport 2dr/6spd/3.73's

Go visit
...and tell your friends!
post #3 of 18 Old 11-05-2013, 07:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfJK View Post
I'm still curious why no one has tried a 4.7 yet. It's smaller and lighter than a Hemi and makes just a few HP less. I've heard that it's an electronics issue, but if it can be solved for the Hemi, couldn't it be solved for the 4.7?

The 4.7 was rated at 230 HP. The 5.7 hemi is ~345 HP. Thats more than a "few"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-05-2013, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I doubt it, because the last year that engine was in production the JK wasn't even close to being produced yet.

The bolt pattern for the bell housing of a small block Mopar is the same of the Hemi. So I'd imagine similar parts there between whatever the Hemi swaps use. Clutch/crank/pilot bearing dependent.

A Hemi ecu with a custom tune doesn't necessarily know what engine it's talking to. Sequential efi on the magnum wouldn't be difficult, rig a similar crank sensor to that of the Hemi and retrofit the evaporative emissions and it may be somewhat happy with a custom tune.

I could do an easy 500ft/lb for $2500 or so in the engine, rebuilt.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #5 of 18 Old 11-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Granite Guru

A couple of my friends had 4.7 liters in a Dakota & GC. I could walk away from them with my 5.2 liter in the Dakota I had. Both were rated at 230 HP. Those A-block really did run good. I think the pushrod engines produce more useable torque throughout the powerband.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
The 4.7 was rated at 230 HP. The 5.7 hemi is ~345 HP. Thats more than a "few"
The original version of the 4.7 was rated at 230hp.

In 2006 an H.O. version was rated 265.

In 2008 it got another revision to 310hp.

I'd say 310hp and 345hp is a few HP different. Especially given the weight savings of a 4.7 over a 5.7 Hemi.

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4

Go visit
post #7 of 18 Old 11-06-2013, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:

I'd say 310hp and 345hp is a few HP different. Especially given the weight savings of a 4.7 over a 5.7 Hemi.
What is the weight savings?

post #8 of 18 Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Rock God

I've seen (googled) as little as 485 for a dry hemi.

I've seen (googled) as much as 422 for a wet 4.7

All said and done, probably 75lbs.

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4

Go visit
post #9 of 18 Old 11-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Rock God

i too would like to see this go somewhere, an actually affordable (5-6k max) v8 swap
post #10 of 18 Old 11-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Slow and Low

Stop talking about it. Just do it!
post #11 of 18 Old 11-06-2013, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
Stop talking about it. Just do it!

I'd need to get someone to work with me on a Hemi ECU I can work with and basically make it think my 5.9L is a Hemi and run accordingly.

So far one response from a Hemi swapper was that I am not able to put an older engine in my vehicle and keep it legal..That's fairly new to me, especially if I tag it in a non-emissions county. But I haven't gotten that far yet.

I'd love to just chuck it in there and say screw it, but I do need to tag and register it.

Rough BOM
Getrag 238 is ~$350
Shortblock I have is $500 +0.02"
Eddie magnum heads $1600 [cheaper could go for Magnum R/T heads - $1000]
bumpstick - $300
junkyard ram TB/EFI manifold w/harness- $300?
serpentine accessory mounts I don't have and brackets $200?
Playable Hemi ECU w/harness $1000?
Distributor + MSD box for ignition $250

I'm at $4500, throw $1500 at anything I forget [manifolds/headers, radiator exhaust, material, clutch stuff, etc] and we're not doing too bad..

+$1400 for a 408 stroker kit

Probably a bit of a pipe-dream assuming a lot of the other components can be retrofitted like the A/C and such..but a ~$7500, all done, easy 400hp & 450ft/lb+ engine would be quite lovely. I doubt I'll be in a position to just "try it" anytime soon however...

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 11-06-2013 at 02:19 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

i've asked around about the 4.7 also. never had anyone give two seconds of thought to it.

i will say that i've had some experience with the 3.7 v6 in the liberty. its essentially the 4.7, but shorter. is compact... but more complicated. they lifters like to wear out and spit the rocker arms off. not an expensive fix, but annoying.

also had coworkers and friends that had multiple mechanical issues (internal) with the 4.7 engines in trucks and jeeps. not as clean of a record as the 5.7

for those who never have to see inspections of any kind, i dont think anyone cares. you could gut the electronics and put a SBC in there if you wanted. there was a guy here doing just that with a TJ.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #13 of 18 Old 11-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Rock God

If it can't meet inspection, then most any motor could be done. And for a hell of a lot less than one that does. But, you better want to keep it for a long time. The resale would take a big hit being that your restricted to non-inspection states only to be street legal.

Not to mention the fact that it would take gutting the JK like a fish to do it. And if your going to do that, then you might as well go full retard and pull it off the street.

And that is the point. Most of us what to retain all the functions and keep it a DD.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
i've asked around about the 4.7 also. never had anyone give two seconds of thought to it.

i will say that i've had some experience with the 3.7 v6 in the liberty. its essentially the 4.7, but shorter. is compact... but more complicated. they lifters like to wear out and spit the rocker arms off. not an expensive fix, but annoying.

also had coworkers and friends that had multiple mechanical issues (internal) with the 4.7 engines in trucks and jeeps. not as clean of a record as the 5.7

for those who never have to see inspections of any kind, i dont think anyone cares. you could gut the electronics and put a SBC in there if you wanted. there was a guy here doing just that with a TJ.
My reasoning for the 4.7 is that it's lighter. It's more fuel efficent. It makes decent horsepower (300hp) and can still support other mods (bigger TB, short headers, etc) if you wanted more HP.

I've seen 4.7's get 22-25mpg in a grand cherokee. I drove a 4x4 Ram for a couple weeks and it got 17-18 running back and forth to work. That's what I get with the 3.8 in my JK currently and it's about 100hp down.

Plus, I want to keep my stick shift, and there are plenty of 4.7 stick shift Ram pickup's out there.

If I had the time and money, I'd make it happen. But alas, I don't.

One thing that I fail to understand is why Chrysler didn't use the 4.0 SOHC 250hp V6 in the JK. The 4.0 was just an enlarged version of the 250hp 3.5 SOHC V6 with more torque and easier tuning.

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4

Go visit
post #15 of 18 Old 02-07-2016, 11:39 AM
Wheeler

So I am wondering has anyone put the 5.9 in a jk yet? I have the opportunity to pick up a 2000 ram with the off road package (d60s) for a few $$$. But I want to do the whole swap, engine, trans t-case and axles. What did you find out if any.
post #16 of 18 Old 02-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Gib
Rock God

The off road package didn't have D60's. I had one back in 01 new off the showroom floor. The front is a factory gusseted D44, and IIRC the rear is a Chrysler 9.25
post #17 of 18 Old 02-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1114 View Post
So I am wondering has anyone put the 5.9 in a jk yet? I have the opportunity to pick up a 2000 ram with the off road package (d60s) for a few $$$. But I want to do the whole swap, engine, trans t-case and axles. What did you find out if any.
I think you'd be better off swapping the JK body onto the truck frame and running it like that.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I'd need to get someone to work with me on a Hemi ECU I can work with and basically make it think my 5.9L is a Hemi and run accordingly.

So far one response from a Hemi swapper was that I am not able to put an older engine in my vehicle and keep it legal..That's fairly new to me, especially if I tag it in a non-emissions county. But I haven't gotten that far yet.

I'd love to just chuck it in there and say screw it, but I do need to tag and register it.

Rough BOM
Getrag 238 is ~$350
Shortblock I have is $500 +0.02"
Eddie magnum heads $1600 [cheaper could go for Magnum R/T heads - $1000]
bumpstick - $300
junkyard ram TB/EFI manifold w/harness- $300?
serpentine accessory mounts I don't have and brackets $200?
Playable Hemi ECU w/harness $1000?
Distributor + MSD box for ignition $250

I'm at $4500, throw $1500 at anything I forget [manifolds/headers, radiator exhaust, material, clutch stuff, etc] and we're not doing too bad..

+$1400 for a 408 stroker kit

Probably a bit of a pipe-dream assuming a lot of the other components can be retrofitted like the A/C and such..but a ~$7500, all done, easy 400hp & 450ft/lb+ engine would be quite lovely. I doubt I'll be in a position to just "try it" anytime soon however...

Harness and ECU from Hotwire is $1400. if you found it for $400 cheaper please share.

My buddy did one of these in an XJ. it turned out great except he is hell bent on keeping his manual trans and cannot find a manual trans ECU to use so his auto ECU keeps looking for a shift and it runs like ass. lol

2008 JKU: continual work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode