axle truss install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 11-04-2013, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

axle truss install

what would one expect to pay getting the axle truss done when lift is installed?

Im just curious. I would prob do it when they did the lift or gears. I assume the lift would be better.

Anyone paid to have this done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtHoodJK View Post
what would one expect to pay getting the axle truss done when lift is installed?

Im just curious. I would prob do it when they did the lift or gears. I assume the lift would be better.

Anyone paid to have this done?
I haven't been quoted, but my recommendation to lighten the cost is to drop the axle, pull the knuckles, replace the OE ball joints at the same time and have it welded off the vehicle. More work, but will make the install easier there by reducing cost. Also, the welder in question will do better work being able to position the housing for full access to the tubes, center, and C's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 11-04-2013 at 10:46 PM.
post #3 of 31 Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 PM
JKO Addict!

I got quotes for $400-600, so I got a buddy to do the truss and c gussets for $150.

So the cheapest and best bet would be to just pull the axle and take it to whomever you get to do it.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 05:04 AM
JKO Addict!

I've done full Artec kits for $350 fwiw. That's in my garage, pulling the axle, etc.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Rock God

We charge $400 for the truss and if you have the whole kit with gussets, control arm skids, and TB mount we charge $600. This includes labor to replace the ball joints also since most of the time you will want to replace them after welding the gussets on.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #6 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 AM
JKO Addict!

The last Artec full truss/front end set up I did I think I charged like $600.00 for it.

That included pulling the axle, pulling the ball joints and pulling the carrier. I also installed new lower control arm mounts, heavy duty trackbar bracket and a johnny joint housing kit as well as new inner seals and the new ball joints and of course all the gussets that came with the truss kit too then primed and painted it and reinstalled it along with an alignment.

As everyone knows, that's a shit ton of work and takes a hell of a lot of time to complete. Anything less than $600.00 and you are honestly getting a hell of a deal in my opinion. I have done 10 full Artec truss set ups and they are really awesome. And if you do the truss you should also do the ball joints as well as add the johnny joint housing kit. I really feel that those 2 things should always be added to the job no matter what.

I feel like spending $750.00 in labor and consumables for the above mentioned work is more than a fair price when you figure everything involved in doing it. That's my .02 cents anyway...

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #7 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadjeeper View Post
We charge $400 for the truss and if you have the whole kit with gussets, control arm skids, and TB mount we charge $600. This includes labor to replace the ball joints also since most of the time you will want to replace them after welding the gussets on.
good deal, we are close too. I might be giving you guys a call then.
post #8 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Granite Guru

Man i got a heck of a deal. SBC offroad in gainesville ga did the full truss, c gussets, lca skids on the front and the truss in the rear. Both axles were removed for install and then repainted for 485.00
post #9 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 05:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrockjeepin View Post
Man i got a heck of a deal. SBC offroad in gainesville ga did the full truss, c gussets, lca skids on the front and the truss in the rear. Both axles were removed for install and then repainted for 485.00
Yes you did

I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #10 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Wheeler

JJ housing kit

JJ housing kit What dat ?? What it do ?? and where do you get one ??
post #11 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 07:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjeepguy View Post
JJ housing kit What dat ?? What it do ?? and where do you get one ??
Poly Peformance, replaces the front upper control arm bushings on the housing with Johnny Joints. Currie makes the joints.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #12 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Wheeler

welder

Thanks.

This would be the time to buy a welder if you were thinking about it !!
Would be mostly paid for after a truss project. Do the C's and housing take special care, rods, etc ??
post #13 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 07:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Thanks.

Would be mostly paid for after a truss project. Do the C's and housing take special care, rods, etc ??
No on special rod/filler, pre and post-heating would be the special care.

But I would certainly not "learn" how to weld on a axle housing to cover paying for the work!

post #14 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 07:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Thanks.

Pre & post heat and cover with blanket to slow cooling waaayyy down. Best thing on cast dif is to use nickel rod or wire if at all possible.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #15 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

lots of great info here guys, thanks
post #16 of 31 Old 11-06-2013, 05:23 AM
Wheeler

Are they holding up to 37's in wheeling like in M&M and Goody's signature pics ??
post #17 of 31 Old 11-06-2013, 06:29 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtHoodJK View Post
good deal, we are close too. I might be giving you guys a call then.
Anytime. We are here to help.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #18 of 31 Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Wheeler

I did one for a #5 from Whataburger and another one for a rib-eye and beers.
post #19 of 31 Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08jetvette View Post
I did one for a #5 from Whataburger and another one for a rib-eye and beers.
Add a shrimp kabob and you got a deal...

post #20 of 31 Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Are they holding up to 37's in wheeling like in M&M and Goody's signature pics ??
The answer to that question is yes. At this point my weak link is the rear end. I go through rear passenger axleshafts like they were candy. Time to get million dollar rcv's or a 60 or 80 for the rear.

As far as front goes, sleeved, trussed and all gussied up like I am I'd throw 40's on there with no concerns at all except in time the unibearings would toast out but they are cheap and easy to deal with. With 37's it will hold up just fine. I have absolutely no issues whatsoever. Ram assist is a must to keep from busting boxes right and left not to mention steering the damn thing.

post #21 of 31 Old 11-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Wheeler

Well son of a beeeeeeetch! Why are all these awesome labor deals outside of California?! Oh wait, that's because it's shitbox California! I have an Artec truss kit sitting on a shelf in my garage waiting to be installed but I can't pull thte axle and all that jazz because I had some back surgery and crawlin' around under the Jeep is a big "no-no" according to my surgeon.

My old man told me he'd teach me how to weld (finally) after I got all healed up however I agree with above posts, I'm not certain it would be a good idea to learn how to weld on my front axle. Instead, I am going to learn by welding metal legs onto the cat. I imagine it would work, and if not, well, it's a fucking cat.

So, anyone know of a shop in Sacramento that will do my front truss for the crackhead deals that you all seem to be getting?? I'm jealous.

Joe

P.S. I intend to retire to Texas when the time comes, but I'm afraid that they aren't too kind to "outsiders", even though I share the same views as most of Texas!
post #22 of 31 Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Granite Guru

You will fit right in here in Texas provided you like guns and are not a liberal yuppie.
I was quoted $350 labor here in Dallas for the front armor kit to be set up.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
post #23 of 31 Old 11-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Wheeler

I love Texas, and now their labor rates!! I also love guns, bacon, the death penalty (none of this bitchin' over the "coctail" and how it's "inhumaine"), tits, ass, and the Constitution!

OP, sorry to hijack your thread... back to topic.

I got an Artec truss kit and a shitload of beer. Maybe it's the best time to learn to weld with dad! HAHA!
post #24 of 31 Old 11-06-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I can't wait to be back in Texas....
post #25 of 31 Old 11-06-2013, 08:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Y'all come on back, you can replace some idiots that have found their way to TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode