Ring and Pinion Pattern....G2 gears help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ring and Pinion Pattern....G2 gears help

I'm installing my new ring and pinion after burning up the outer pinion bearing on my old one. I've got the pinion in with the set up bearings snugged down to require about 15 in/lb of force to turn. I put my ARB locker in with a good preload (dead blow hammer to get it in), I'm pretty confident it's good cause it took three tries to get the backlash set to 5-6 thousandths, and taking it out was about the same as original.

My problem is the wear pattern. It seems perfect on the drive side but quite far back on the heel on the coast side. Not sure if I should adjust it and loose the good drive pattern. Does it look like I need a thicker pinion shim or something else. I put a prybar into my welding glove to give it a good load to get the readings, pretty tough to turn that way.

Any help?????

Thanks,
Sean
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ok now I added shims to the carrier to increase backlash to about 8 thousandths and got these patterns:

Should I increase my pinion depth or does that look okay??

Thanks again.
Attached Images

post #3 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 04:26 PM
JKO Addict!

I liked the first pattern better.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yea me too and the backlash was in the lower end too.

I tried adding pinion shims and it went in too deep on the drive and was about the same on coast. I guess I'll go with the first set up unless someone has a better idea.

Thanks,
Sean
post #5 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I went back to the first set up for final assembly. Backlash is consistently 6-7 thousandths and this is my wear pattern, any input before I close it up??

Thanks,
Sean
Attached Images

post #6 of 11 Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 AM
CUNT

Location: The Land of the Polite, Where shits covered in Ice.

i think it looks ok to me now, but im far from an expert. ( only done 4 installs myself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMadole View Post
As previously mentioned, the key step in this process is saturating those whores in piss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maunder View Post
I just gotta say.. When you're being butt hurt by your fudge packer minions.. how do you decide which one gets to pull the pony tail n who's left to cup the balls.. If there is any..
post #7 of 11 Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgo70 View Post
I went back to the first set up for final assembly. Backlash is consistently 6-7 thousandths and this is my wear pattern, any input before I close it up??

Thanks,
Sean
I think you will be fine with this setting. If I remember correctly as long as you don't go over .010" on backlash it works OK.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks, a little input makes me feel better. I have specs that say 5-8 thous so I figured I wouldn't mess with it. Gonna close it up and do the rears now.

Sean
post #9 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 09:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Yukon supplies a very good reference guide to setup with their ring & pinion sets. One thing I chuckled about when I read through it, they urge the installer not to obsess over a "perfect" pattern. Looks like you nailed it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks, after burning up a pinion bearing on the last I decided to get as perfect as I could. I couldn't imagine a front end lock up on the highway during the winter as being fun. Gonna try to get the rear done so I can finally drive this thing.

Sean
post #11 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Looks good dude. "Tighter" backlash isn't always a good thing. 6-7 should be just fine. You could try to draw the coast in a bit, but your drive pattern looks good to me. I'd run it.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode