JK Unlimted Baja suspension - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JK Unlimted Baja suspension

Help me - guide me!

I am looking to build a baja worthy suspension on my JKU.

YES, I ready in contact with Jeepspeed and Score. I have to run the 3700 class.

I am thinking I need coilovers not just really good remote res shocks.

Rockkrawler makes a front coil over kit.

Gen Right makes a complete kit - 10K. Don't mind if this is best.

Also Rebel Off road makes a conversion kit I can use with any long arm kit. I like this idea.

I was thinking a Rubicon express, Teraflex or RockKrawler or any body else anyone can suggest. Then using a coil over conversion like the Rebel Off Road kit.

I also will add either King or Teraflex Speed bumps too.

Will be installing a Dynatrac 44 up front with the HD tubing too. If money permits may do a rear 44 instead of trussing the factory Rubi 44.

I want guidance, not anybody deterring me. The gentleman from Jeepspeed I spoke with was excited about a JKU build. He said the wheel base will be wonderful out there in the desert. He said just build the suspension and driveline as I am describing and I should have a successful finish. That's what I want to do - finish. Not looking to win.

I am starting my child hood dream of running the Baja. I am doing it the comfort of a built Jk, that's what I know how to build so that's what I am doing!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Rock God

I think Evo makes a whole kit that is more geared towards the go fast crowd as well.

I dunno much about the whole Baja thing, but I think if I were to be going bombing through the desert at high speeds I wouldn't want a semi-float rear.

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
post #3 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 08:30 AM
JKowners Vendor

In 2014 we are going to be working on some real go fast systems for 4 doors and 2 doors with coil overs and bypass shocks at all 4 corners. They should be pretty nasty. We are waiting on our axles to start the 4 door project and our 2 door is on order to be sent to the body shop. We will start a build thread when we get started. We are returning to Jeepspeed in 2014 for a few races with our LJ now that we have our bypass shocks…

No matter what, good luck with your build.

RK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Granite Guru

I don't think that a cookie cutter kit would help you that much in a Baja race, you'll definitely need to fab most of your set up, like RK said, you'll need coil over and bypass at least up front, best if had on all 4 corners.

Even though you said you just want to have the Baja experience and not looking to win, once you get inside those long miles of washboards and endless whoops you'll be glad you have them on your rig. And not be thinking of slowing down because you might break something.

Have fun with your build! Good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 Sahara Unlimited, D44´s Supercharged LS on 37´s....
post #5 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

@RK

I have an email into you guys. I can wait. I heard about your new kits coming.

Talk to Bridgette, I'm the one emailing from Pgh.

I am more than likely going to replace both axles.
Jim

I need as much "production" stuff avail as I don't fab. I can install etc.. But fabbing brackets and stuff like that- I have to outsource.

My email is [email protected]

Last edited by Milkman3371; 10-29-2013 at 02:09 PM.
post #6 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Granite Guru

I think I would find a way to outboard the shocks (coilovers) in the rear. Maybe french the frame, or maybe a wider axle. Something that will give you some additional stability.

And as it's been said, A cookie cutter kit here may not be what's best. Perhaps there is some sponsorship money here too. Just an idea.

Chrome will not get you home............but it will get you dome

And sometimes that's all that matters if you have a bad day on the trail!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 02:47 PM
JKowners Vendor

We are definitely going wider in the rear as well as out boarded shocks and coil overs. Some levels of customization will be available. If you are going fuel cell, you will be able to run our adjustable anti squat triangulated 4 link rear assembly. If you are sticking with the OEM fuel cell, the independent 3 link with track bar will be all we have to offer. They will be bad ass kits.

But, keep in mind, if you are truly going to race this rig, custom is the way to go as you can incorporate a lot of mounting points for the coil overs and shocks into your cage, etc. That is if you are looking to truly race. If you are not, but looking for a great suspension to handle this kind of work, we hope to fit that bill….

Good luck with your build. It sounds killer and expensive!

RK
post #8 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Rock God

There are numerous suspension vendors that would suit your needs. You could also roll your own, or even fab up your own if you were so inclined.

I would think you'd want to go with four links front and rear.

Regarding shocks...

Even though RK doesn't have a rear coilover "kit", there's nothing stopping you from running RK coilovers in the rear of your rig. I am. The guys at RK can make you shocks to your specs. Travel, valving, spring rate, fittings ... the list goes on and on. I have been extremely impressed with my RK remote resi coilovers, and would recommend them to anybody.

P.S. RK, do you guys need another test rig for your bypass shocks? I know I've said it before, but I'd gladly help you guys out if you need some user feedback.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Rock God

I have no input here to say what you should do. But, when you get started, you better post your f'in build up. I'd love to do this to my 2 door when time, money and family permits.

Good Luck!

2010 2 door manual sport
post #10 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 04:07 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Cool thread topic... My .02 is that coil overs are over rated. The Fox 2.5" NON IBS units are my personal choice and recommendation. As far as kits go, there is a TON out there so do your homework. Our stuff from Synergy is pretty nice so make sure to check it out.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #11 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 04:40 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by illyb View Post
There are numerous suspension vendors that would suit your needs. You could also roll your own, or even fab up your own if you were so inclined.

I would think you'd want to go with four links front and rear.

Regarding shocks...

Even though RK doesn't have a rear coilover "kit", there's nothing stopping you from running RK coilovers in the rear of your rig. I am. The guys at RK can make you shocks to your specs. Travel, valving, spring rate, fittings ... the list goes on and on. I have been extremely impressed with my RK remote resi coilovers, and would recommend them to anybody.

P.S. RK, do you guys need another test rig for your bypass shocks? I know I've said it before, but I'd gladly help you guys out if you need some user feedback.
Thanks for the support and the offer. We will keep that in mind as they get closer to being ready for consumers.

RK
post #12 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Granite Guru

Another piece of advise is to keep your apple to apples and orange to oranges , if you want real Baja advise ask the Baja runners.. (I.e. Baja racing forums) .

You don't need to have the skills to fab your stuff, there are many shops that really know their stuff .

If you need any extra info or help I'll be glad to assist you.

I am a local in Baja, and can guide you in any sense you need!

post #13 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 04:52 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSrubi07 View Post
Another piece of advise is to keep your apple to apples and orange to oranges , if you want real Baja advise ask the Baja runners.. (I.e. Baja racing forums) .

You don't need to have the skills to fab your stuff, there are many shops that really know their stuff .

If you need any extra info or help I'll be glad to assist you.

I am a local in Baja, and can guide you in any sense you need!

That is a great piece of advice. Or maybe check in with some Ultra 4 guys over on Pirate 4x4. If you are truly using it for racing, like we said, there will be tons of customization that will need to be done and very little off the shelf stuff will truly work. Look at some of the builds on JKO for guys that have turned their Jeep into an Ultra 4 rig…. Our Victim Build is on here, PSC is building one right now and soon our LJ build will go up. The amount of custom work is just amazing…

RK
post #14 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Wheeler

Look at the Evo Double Throw Down suspension, has coilovers and bypass shocks and is made for going fast in the desert KOH type stuff. Its a proven system. I'm not sure your 44's are going to last, I would look into some Dynatrac Prorock 60's if your serious about racing. None of this is cheap to do but I'm sure you already know this for what you plan to do.
post #15 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Granite Guru

Have it fabbed....no kit is going g to have trailing arms up to the whoops sections at 90+ mph and take an hit...triangulated lowers with either tubing or internal plates.
Coil overs for the ease of base tuning and use of a sacrificial spring set up to via. It in and a bypass shock to tune (all 4 corners bypass/coil overs) and hydraulic bumps...if your hammering then 4tube bypass beginning and end stroke on rebound and compression if your crawling then 2 tube works fine....
Its a lot easier to spin dials then crack a shock open and revalve.

Race desert, desert rangers, pirate ultra 4 crowd, jeep speed forums....
Ultra 4 is probably one of the better setups to help because of the solid axle front versus the traditional a-arms and I-beam set ups we use in the desert.

Look forward to seeing what you end up with, I was working my 7u truck 16+ years ago and dig desert trucks.
Love building em and driving them.....

A good person to talk to is john brindell over at fox he was at ORW for years and knows a lot about the scene as well--.
Mike (Bajamike) has been in the scene as long as I have or longer as well he is at the ORW location in Marietta and aside of knowing everyone in the industry as well was at kartek etc....the Baja scene is DEEP seeded here in socal.....

Just some areas to possibly help.

Last edited by BRUT4CE; 10-29-2013 at 10:04 PM.
post #16 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I appreciate all the responses. I am gathering info right now. I am doing this and it more than likely will be a several year build.

I have been in contact with a few guys from Jeepspeed and others. I have shared some of my ideas via email and I get positive responses.

I am in no hurry by any means. This jeep has to make it through the Baja 500 once. After that it will turn one bad ass local wheeling machine.

I don't want to start racing all of the time. This is a bucket list item and I just want to do it in a jeep. Keep in mind I don't have to run as hard as those trophy trucks!

I was talking to a guy via email that ran a Rubicon Express LA with coilovers. Worked and survived.

I guess I should be clear on my intentions. I am not going to keep going back and back for more.

This is just something I want to do. I am anxiously awaiting an email from Rock Krawler!!!

Talk To ya all soon!
post #17 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 AM
JKowners Vendor

Whom did you email? If you sent it to our tech line, that will be back up today, but you might want to give us a call and ask for engineering. That system is in full concept and development mode right now.

RK
post #18 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I emailed sales.

Bridgette responded and we chatted a few times back and forth. She is bery pleasant.

She told me you were getting ready for Sema. She said a justin would email me.

Thanks
post #19 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I also was looking at the rebel off road kit. EVO also has a kit that will work with any long arm kit.

The double throw down looks cool it just seems like a lot of moving parts?? Am I looking at that right?

It just seems like a long arm kit of my choice plus coil overs may be the way?

Again, I need this to survive Baja once. It will then be retired to "one hell of a local wheeler"

I say that now...LOL I also don't want to go too crazy. I am still studying Jeepspeed rules. And who knows... I may want to keep it milder.

Again I am in gathering info stage. Wife is on board. I have the green light. That was half the battle. I wanted to possibly do the suspension first and get a production kit and get some other little stuff done first. I was then thinking about the axles into next fall/2014. I want to take my time. I just don't want it so off-road worthy that I can't drive it.

I know some of you will disagree and say you can't have both. I disagree and say you can.
post #20 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman3371 View Post
EVO also has a kit that will work with any long arm kit.
Actually, I dont think it works with a 3 link. You may want to double check that...

post #21 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 10:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #22 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

I am disappointed with that set up. Cant run a coilover and bypass up front and its like 10" wider than a stock JK

post #23 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
That right there looks about right!!

post #24 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Can't run that! Jk needs to fit in my enclosed trailer for the trips out west!
post #25 of 41 Old 10-31-2013, 09:25 AM
JKowners Vendor

If you have the patients, we are hoping to be testing and tuning our 4 door version of our new system at Easter Jeep Safari in Moab in 2014… At least you will get to see it that way before jumping to any conclusions. We guarantee it will be the closest thing offered on the market to a true Ultra 4 style suspension system for JK's.

RK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode