2013 Sahara Eaton E-Locker Install! Front & Rear (Toronto/Canada) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 10-28-2013, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2013 Sahara Eaton E-Locker Install! Front & Rear (Toronto/Canada)

Hey Guys,

I haven't found much information or reviews from guys with upgraded/Installed lockers on the Sahara so I figured I'd start a build thread.
I have a 2013 with 16,000km thats begging for mods...lol
My Jeep will never be a rock crawler or serious mud machine, it will be built as a daily driver that will handle the occasional off road trip and hunting weekends on back roads. The lockers being the first major mod for handling the snow covered roads going to the hunting camp.

I contacted "Rock Spyder 4x4" today (located in Toronto) and spoke to Jim. Great guy and after speaking with him I knew I found the right guy to complete the project. He quoted me a great price so the Jeep is scheduled in for Nov 18th after he gets back from SEMA and gets caught up. We talked about lockers and I decided on the Eaton E-Locker front & rear...I'm really excited to find out how good it will be in the snow after the install.

Jim is a great resource for anyone in the Toronto area wanting to get work done, at a great price. I know for me it was a struggle to find someone I wanted to give the work to.

I'll update the thread when its goes to the shop for the work. Here's a couple of pics of the "first" day when i picked up the Jeep....biggest snow storm in Toronto of 2013...I was grinning ear to ear driving around vehicles on the way home.

If anyone reading this has a Sahara with E-Lockers installed please share your thoughts and experiences so far.

Thanks,
Corey (a.k.a - First Jeep)
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstJeep; 10-28-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Rock God

looks like your going to need auxiliary heating and 0 weight gear oil!!

Texas Complete Truck Center
5670 S Interstate 35
New Braunfels, Texas
(210) 412-6379

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-28-2013, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Reserved for pics & Info...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
looks like your going to need auxiliary heating and 0 weight gear oil!!
Lol...it was cold but a pretty awesome day for the first experience driving it for more then a 10mins on a test drive. I couldn't be happier with the purchase. Its great on fuel and tows great.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Its great on fuel
post #6 of 19 Old 10-30-2013, 07:54 AM
CUNT

Location: The Land of the Polite, Where shits covered in Ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
LOL for now.... lets us know how u feel about that in 5 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMadole View Post
As previously mentioned, the key step in this process is saturating those whores in piss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maunder View Post
I just gotta say.. When you're being butt hurt by your fudge packer minions.. how do you decide which one gets to pull the pony tail n who's left to cup the balls.. If there is any..
post #7 of 19 Old 12-04-2013, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Lol....I have a Supercharged SRT GC putting down about 700whp that burns a gallon of premium going to the corner store....So the JK is a Prius to me...lol its wayyy more fuel efficient than the big hemi...
post #8 of 19 Old 12-04-2013, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

E-Lockers are now installed front & back...hoping to test them out this weekend on a real test but so far just playing and getting familiar with them on slick roads and grassy inclines have been awesome. The Install at "Rock Spyder 4x4" went off without a problem. Dropped it off Monday and picked it up yesterday so not much seat time yet.

I thought the Jk was already great in open diff 4x4 mode (only had driven previously on mild snow covered roads) so I'm totally blown away on what it can do now with the flick of a switch when you go looking for what normally would be trouble situations.

I'll post pic's and a video of them in use when i have the opportunity to really test them out.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Rock God

I'll be following along.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Wheeler

Where did you put your switches? At first I thought of the spare location in front of the auto stick, but did not like the possibility of activating the locker when reaching for the lever when in park or shifting the stick forward to Park. I then though of putting it on the lower left panel next to the steering wheel but I did not like my knuckles on the manual window crank being that close to the button when rolling up the window (I know you have a Sahara so no manual windows for you). My new location is on the driver pillar about a foot above the dash, highly visible and out of the way.

I added the e-locker to my two month old 2013 Sport JKU rear axle last month when they were offering the $100 rebate. Front locker to added soon, I don't have the pressing need in the desert that you have way up North.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I added the Pillar Pod during the install....The switches I had originally bought for the project need to have custom rocker caps done so they read horizontal instead of vertical. Should have new ones in the next couple of weeks. They are wired so they only light up when they are actually on...wanted it this way so I did not have an switch indicator light distracting me at night on the pillar.

I'm not a fan of pillar pods so surprised how good it looks on the JK and its one of the better solutions for budget and eliminated hacking up any interior panels or dash.

Added the extra switch and ran wires to the engine bay for future off road lights while the install was taking place...still have 1 place left over a future mod, but not sure what that will be yet.

I'm very impressed with the E-Lockers so far, REALLY fun in the mud with both ON!
Attached Images

post #12 of 19 Old 12-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I have a 2012 sport with an E-Locker front and Auburn ECTED rear. It's not an unlimited Sahara but it does have the same axles. I used the same pillar switch pod as you.

I've had mine in for months now and I'm happy I saved up for them. I daily drive my JK and having the front diff open is perfect every day. The ECTED has the limited slip in the rear which is a very good addition to a daily driver. The best part is when I do go off road and need the traction I just have to flip a switch or two and I have it.

If I had to do it over again I'd do it exactly the same way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper

- 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

Try out my

Last edited by grimmjeeper; 12-04-2013 at 07:14 PM.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-04-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmjeeper View Post
I have a 2012 sport with an E-Locker front and Auburn ECTED rear. It's not an unlimited Sahara but it does have the same axles. I used the same pillar switch pod as you.

I've had mine in for months now and I'm happy I saved up for them. I daily drive my JK and having the front diff open is perfect every day. The ECTED has the limited slip in the rear which is a very good addition to a daily driver. The best part is when I do go off road and need the traction I just have to flip a switch or two and I have it.

If I had to do it over again I'd do it exactly the same way.
Glad to hear you like your setup, front open diff on a switch is the only way to go for a DD...I wanted and planned for your exact setup, that was before I got such a good deal on both front and rear E-lockers installed. Could have went either way, both are great.

How do you find the turning radius with the front locked?

Last edited by FirstJeep; 12-04-2013 at 08:27 PM.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Wheeler

Garage

It's as bad as a welded front diff. It's a lot harder to turn the wheel and the turning radius stinks. I always remember that it's locked when I start to make a tight turn and switch it off so I don't know exactly how much bigger the turning radius is.

- 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper

- 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

Try out my
post #15 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Wheeler

Jim's a good guy. He has done some work for me. Top notch
post #16 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 01:43 PM

Nice pics in the snow..
What was the cost for installation of the locker roghly?
post #17 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo1 View Post
Jim's a good guy. He has done some work for me. Top notch
Great Guy, No complaints on the service & work. Its nice to meet a mechanic / installer who actually knows what they are talking about without boring you with bullshit.

Last edited by FirstJeep; 12-05-2013 at 02:26 PM.
post #18 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advantx View Post
Nice pics in the snow..
I don't want to post the prices he charged...Give him a call and I'm sure you will be happy if you decide to give them work...Ask for Jim personally, I'm sure he'd like to hear you saw the thread and wanted to get some pricing...mention a "white Sahara E-locker project for Corey", I'm sure he'll extend the same pricing on the complete job I had done or give you individual pricing on front and rear...

http://www.rockspyder4x4.com/
post #19 of 19 Old 12-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advantx View Post
Nice pics in the snow..
I paid $750 for the locker ($70 rebate calculated into that from manufacture)
$100 for aftermarket diff cover while they were in there.
$400 would of been labor price normally, I got it for $200 instead. Install did take about 7 hours for everything.
Lube, shop supplies, tax, etc my out the door price was roughly at $1350 to lock up the rear with an Eaton. Hope that helps for comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode