I've about had it!!! Needs fix or am selling - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-27-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
EWL
Wheeler

I've about had it!!! Needs fix or am selling

So I have a 2007 2 door rubicon that I have highly modified.

It has

Yukon 5.13 gears

Off road evolution sleeves and c gussets

Rock krawler 3.5" mid arm flex lift

bilstien shocks and steering stabilizer

Rock krawler hd drag link and tie rod

Moog tie rod and drag link ends

Poison spyder front and rear bfh bumpers, diff covers, crusher corners, rocker armor, an rocker knockers, tramp stamp, hood louvre

Warn m8000 winch with synthetic rope
Synergy hd ball joints

Trek armor seat covers

Daystar dash components

Best top trek top nx

Tom woods 1310 drive shafts

37" Goodyear mtr w/ Kevlar

4 ATX slabs beadlocks

MBRP off road exhaust

K&N air

Diablo predator programmer

Smittybilt flat fenders

Viair on board air

Hi-lift jack and accessories

Rugged ridge hi-lift mount

Dupli-color beadliner with Kevlar interior

Lube locker diff gaskets

Tuff Knucks gloves for off road use

Or-fab heavy duty crossmember

Truck litez LED headlights

Rigid industries duallies

However I still have this death wobble that comes and goes. All tierod ends an ball joints are new. The lift has 20,000 miles on it but everything else listed is new. I'm at my wits end.

To top it off it's started making a strange sound that almost sounds like it's coming from the t-case.

Anyone want to help?

EWL
2007 2dr Rubi
37" MTRs
17" Atx Slabs
Poison Spyder everything..
3.5" RK lift....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Granite Guru

Loose track bar? Have you followed Planmans "how to" for diagnosis?

2012 JKU Altitude
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #3 of 12 Old 10-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Rock God

First thing, put a little bit of Toe-out in the front of that thing, The caster is probably a little jacked up. Now if you adjusted the lower control arms (or upper) to get your caster fair then the angle on your front drive shaft might be a little jacked up and causing the drive-line vibration. So I would take out the front drive shaft or just take it from the axle end and tie it up and see if the vib sound goes away. Swap tires from front to back. These are things I would try. Also are the unit bearings good to go?

2010 JKUR, 4" Pro C., 3/4" f Daystar spacer, 5.38's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Rear Ten Factory axle shafts, 1.5" wheel spacers, Pro C. 17 x 9 wheels, 38 x 14.50 x 17 MTR's, SuperChip FP, no fenders, B&M Tranny cooler, Magnaflow, Fr./ Rr. frame hacked off, HD Balls

29,000 miles as of 12/13/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-27-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
EWL
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCAJN View Post
Havent seen plan mans how to. Do you have a link to it?

EWL
2007 2dr Rubi
37" MTRs
17" Atx Slabs
3.5" RK lift....
post #5 of 12 Old 10-27-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
EWL
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10jk View Post
First thing, put a little bit of Toe-out in the front of that thing, The caster is probably a little jacked up. Now if you adjusted the lower control arms (or upper) to get your caster fair then the angle on your front drive shaft might be a little jacked up and causing the drive-line vibration. So I would take out the front drive shaft or just take it from the axle end and tie it up and see if the vib sound goes away. Swap tires from front to back. These are things I would try. Also are the unit bearings good to go?
It's only got the adjustable lower control arms. It drove great after I did the lift 20k miles ago and never had an issue until recntly. All bearings are new in both axels

EWL
2007 2dr Rubi
37" MTRs
17" Atx Slabs
3.5" RK lift....
post #6 of 12 Old 10-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL View Post
It's only got the adjustable lower control arms. It drove great after I did the lift 20k miles ago and never had an issue until recntly. All bearings are new in both axels
Ok, then what could have changed? Tire wear, wheel balance, wheel bent, track bar hole or mount hole wallowed out or bolt came loose. Or, control arm bolts came loose, or bushings worn?????? Many things up front. I usually take a day out and check and re-torque everything, and when I say everything, I mean everything up front.

2010 JKUR, 4" Pro C., 3/4" f Daystar spacer, 5.38's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Rear Ten Factory axle shafts, 1.5" wheel spacers, Pro C. 17 x 9 wheels, 38 x 14.50 x 17 MTR's, SuperChip FP, no fenders, B&M Tranny cooler, Magnaflow, Fr./ Rr. frame hacked off, HD Balls

29,000 miles as of 12/13/14
post #7 of 12 Old 10-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Rock God

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30723

Planmans write-up. Should answer most of your questions
post #8 of 12 Old 10-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
First thing, put a little bit of Toe-out in the front of that thing, The caster is probably a little jacked up.

I thought the JK was supposed to have Toe-IN? I've got mine set at about 1/8" toed in....
post #9 of 12 Old 10-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookylynx View Post
I thought the JK was supposed to have Toe-IN? I've got mine set at about 1/8" toed in....
Correct.

People toe out when they have worn ball joints to band aid it until they replace them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 Old 10-27-2013, 11:04 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCAJN View Post
^ this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavallini03 View Post
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30723

Planmans write-up. Should answer most of your questions
^this will fix it !

reading this thread prior to ever experiencing death wobble I knew what the usual culprit was. After getting it after a wheeling trip I was able to climb under it and diagnose it in a parking lot in about five minutes. - track bar holes ovaled out - ordered an artec bracket for the axle and a poly frame side bracket, in the time it took me to get to them it happened a handful of times, resulting in new joints for the track bar being needed.

sometimes its as simple as retourqing the track bar, but willing to bet your bolt holes are ovaled out at the track bar, and there is play -

cliffs - get someone to move the steering wheel back and forth while looking at your trackbar, and you will most likely see the movement in the joint area prior to the wheels turning.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #11 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 06:56 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
10jk is right about the drive shaft. My 2011 just started making a squeaking sound. The girlfriend was driving it and told me about it - and from here description I couldn't understand what it was. Finally when I got back on the east coast and drove it, heard it, had her drive slow and I followed listening for the sound and I was 90% sure it was my front drive shaft (ds). Posting in a few groups they all concurred with my thesis so once I get it back from the dealership today (they couldn't tell where it came from - never going back to this dealership) i'm taking it to a shop and have them look at my ujoints on the front ds. Good way to tell is to remove your front ds and drive - if the sound goes away there's the issue. hope this helps.

LOD Rock Sliders, PSC rear bumper w/tire carrier and Brawler lite front bumper w/stinger, GenRight Alum Fenders, XRC 10 winch w/Viking Synthetic Line, RI 10" E-Series light, 4 D2 lights, 2 SR-M series, ARB front/rear air lockers, ARB compressor, Rock Krawler 3.5" MTS w/Blistein 5100 shocks 35" BFG KM2's on M/T Side Bitter Rims
post #12 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 07:20 AM
JKowners Vendor

Here is a link to our video as well. If you would like, give us a shout and we will try to walk you through some things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTpVF0jgF8o

Or you can take a road trip up to us and we will probably find it in about 5 minutes or less.

RK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode