How many hours to install PR44? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-26-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

How many hours to install PR44?

I've had a plan to install a PR44 or Tera 44 but it got sidelined due to an injury. I'm still recovering from the surgery and wouldn't be able to do it myself until next Spring at the earliest. So, thinking of just farming it out and wondering what a reasonable shop time would be for the swapout. Any ideas?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-26-2013, 08:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Are you talking a totally built axle swap over or are you talking about swapping knuckles and shafts from the old axle?

It if is a complete axle I would think mb 2 hours provided nothing is seized up on it.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
I've had a plan to install a PR44 or Tera 44 but it got sidelined due to an injury. I'm still recovering from the surgery and wouldn't be able to do it myself until next Spring at the earliest. So, thinking of just farming it out and wondering what a reasonable shop time would be for the swapout. Any ideas?

Depends on if the PR or Terra is coming fully built, or do the gears need setting up etc.

You figure it goes on the lift, wheels, brakes, bearings come off, shocks, control arms, driveshaft undone on one end - 1 hour

New axle lined up, reverse of above - 1 hour

Whatever needs done to the axle like gears, ball joints, gear oil. 1-3 hours

4 wheel alignment - 1 hour

This is a pretty conservative rough guess. It assumes everything goes without any unforeseen problems and done buy someone who knows what they are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-26-2013, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Should have been more clear, I mean a bare housing with just ball joints pre installed. Its a Rubicon, so swapping over R & P, shafts and spyntec hubs.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Granite Guru

My guess is shop will charge gear set up, 4-6 hours avg shop book time. Plus 1-3 hours for swapping hubs. so prob in the 4-8 hour range
post #6 of 18 Old 10-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Rock God

The r/p setup is the same price around here on the bench or in the frame. And after you start factoring all the labor in, it really makes sense to get a built unit if your paying for the work anyway since you will most certaintly pay less to the axle company than the shop.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-27-2013, 01:51 AM
Granite Guru

Not really if he is using all his own internals.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Granite Guru

dont forget about new parts to install that r&p and fluid. possibly wheel bearings as well?

Daily driven and self sponsored

07 X RK X factor 5.5 long arm w/coilovers, Coast front ds, adams rear shaft, 5.13's, Detroit rear/ e-locker front, Ten factory front & rear shafts, artec c gussets, synergy ball joints, rockhard offroad cage, ipcw tails, aev corners, warn xd9000i, bestop element doors, 37" bfg km2's, 17" TR beadlocks
post #9 of 18 Old 10-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Rock God

im going to guestimate the install off of what i did / have done.

-remove stock axle and strip it down. 2 - 3 hr
-swap axle guts (i had someone do the r&p) no more than 4 hr for a good shop
-reinstall new axle. same as removal, should be 2 - 3 hr.

these times are me doing a lot of the work myself, and i usually take my time. the stuff i did a shop could probably do in half the time.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-27-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks all! If I had two useable hands & arms I'd do this in my garage, but that won't be happening any time soon. Local 4x4 shop is planning on a nice Christmas this year! ;-)

post #11 of 18 Old 10-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Granite Guru

My guy flat rated mine at $500 (pro rock 44). Swap everything over(rubicon). I got him an install kit just to be safe, don't know if he needed it or not, and install the pro-steers. Seemed reasonable enough to me.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Rock God

he did the ENTIRE job for 500? if so thats a freaking steal. some places charge twice that just for setting up the r&p.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon.l View Post
he did the ENTIRE job for 500? if so thats a freaking steal. some places charge twice that just for setting up the r&p.
Yup. It Was Josh West (Skinny Pedal) Over On Pirate.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-27-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Great price!

post #15 of 18 Old 10-28-2013, 05:44 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon.l View Post
im going to guestimate the install off of what i did / have done.

-remove stock axle and strip it down. 2 - 3 hr
-swap axle guts (i had someone do the r&p) no more than 4 hr for a good shop
-reinstall new axle. same as removal, should be 2 - 3 hr.

these times are me doing a lot of the work myself, and i usually take my time. the stuff i did a shop could probably do in half the time.
Pretty accurate numbers. I'd say more around 2 hours to strip down, even with pattern and backlask reading. 3 to reinstall since it will basically need a new alignment.

Can I ask a question/think out loud? Why bother with a new housing if you're already running spyntec's? With the armor options available today, you aren't really gaining any strength, doesn't sound as though you are going with any custom width, and caster is really a moot point since with the spyntec's you just run it in free spin and can run any caster you please without vibes. So I'm a bit lost (unless you bent the housing in some way)

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #16 of 18 Old 10-28-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

At five degrees caster there's only one degree on the pinion. You're right, with the hubs there's no issue with driveline vibration on the street. However, under certain amounts of flex or driver side camber the driveshaft hits the trans pan. Only way to correct that is to reduce caster. Having a corrected housing allows good caster, and raises the pinion enough that the driveshaft will clear the trans. The housing is in good shape. with Pro Steers, sleeves & gussets. Can probably be turned at a decent price, which will help reduce the overall cost of the PR44. If I wait until it's broken or bent, it's scrap.

I'll run the PR44 with the Spyntecs and may use slugs when in Moab, etc.

post #17 of 18 Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Rock God

had my prorock swapped for $150.

but thats with the ARB and gears already in. only parts that had to be swapped was the knuckle, brakes, caliper.

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #18 of 18 Old 10-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Wheeler

Im sure there are some guys in the local boards that would do it for pizza and beer. just sayin.

Roads?

2010 2dr Rubicon
2.5 Rock Krawler Flex
Riddler Diff Covers
Ace Rock Sliders
Mopar Winch Bumper with Bull Bar
Smittybuilt XRC8Comp
Olympic Rear Rock Bumper
Rock Hard Skids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode