Next question: Control Arms ( Which & Why) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Next question: Control Arms ( Which & Why)

Replacing all my control arms on my 2012 JKU. Which do you guy's recommend & why?

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 04:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Any arm with a JJ
- Currie
-synergy
-Clayton
-etc

Metal cloak is making a strong run with their Duraflex joint,

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #3 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 04:50 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Rock Krawler. Not sure I need to explain, but black, big, thick & solid. I have the 2nd gen ends and they seem fine, but the new ones are supposed to be even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thx guys. How long do those Johnny Joints last?

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 04:58 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by edthesniper View Post
I think it depends on care and use, but mine are almost 2 years old with no issues. When mine wear out I will probably replace the joints with MetalCloak duroflex joints. I believe the MetalCloak arms are hollow, so no go for me and they are fucking ugly.

Quote:
Quote:
post #6 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 04:59 PM
JKO Addict!

MC's are new but the JJ's are tried and true and will last a very long time.

I did not care for RK's gen 2 but their new joint looks amazing as well.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #7 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 05:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
I think it depends on care and use, but mine are almost 2 years old with no issues. When mine wear out I will probably replace the joints with MetalCloak duroflex joints. I believe the MetalCloak arms are hollow, so no go for me and they are fucking ugly.
Rofl ... The zinc coating is kinda fugly.
Rocking their front links. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1382655649.726971.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  140.6 KB

post #8 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

RK, synergy or metal cloak..

a.k.a. Christian - 2011 Black Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
37" MTRK, RK 3.5 X-Factor (3-Link Rear) and other stuff..
Owner/Manager -
and other Web Properties

post #9 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 05:05 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Ed, where in Maryland are you. I wouldn't mind throwing some wrenches at your rig when you're ready to install everything, if schedule permits.

Quote:
Quote:
post #10 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thx for all the replies.

Semper Fi
post #11 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

In Balto. (city county line off of Ritchie Hwy). My neighbor and I do all the work, he has all the tools and lifts. But if needed I would not hesitate to give you a call. Just getting into the Jeep thing and luv it. We just did a lift on his friends 2012 2 dr. Not to bad. That was our 1st install. I could probably use your assistance on the BJ's when the time comes if your up to it.

Semper Fi
post #12 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 06:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I run metal cloak. They are awesome. No one ever said, wow gold control arms? All I hear is nice ride.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #13 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Rock God

Assistance on BJ's. I lol'd at that sentence.

I just put MC arms, all 8, on my 2 door. They are truly a difference in ride quality. The bumps over the road are almost non existent, including man hole covers that are not level with the road.

I didn't expect to feel this much better ride, but I have to say so far I am a believer. Hopefully they hold up well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2010 2 door manual sport
post #14 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 07:04 PM

Metalcloak for me to. So far best arms I've run. Very smooth on road and the flex is amazing without any binding.
post #15 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I have replaced all my joints in my Tera flex arms once and sometimes twice, including the front trackbar. Except the rear trackbar which is a currie and is a JJ BOTHENDS. I have not replaced that and it doesn't show any sign of sloppiness yet!

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #16 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yeah I did not think that one thru.

Semper Fi
post #17 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
Rock Krawler. Not sure I need to explain, but black, big, thick & solid. I have the 2nd gen ends and they seem fine, but the new ones are supposed to be even better.
Is this your criteria for control arms or something else....maybe you better explain?

2012 JKU Altitude
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #18 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Granite Guru

FWIW I went with Metalcloak arms. I read a very intriguing review by user name Imped about the duraflex joints and decided I had to have them. Since I needed arms as well it made sense to get the arms and the joints together. I have no personal experience with them yet as they literally just arrived today.

2012 JKU Altitude
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #19 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Wheeler

I have the new Rock Krawler joints on my LCAs. They are built very well. Machined housings with rebuild able joints offer lifetime expectancy. they are guaranteed for life but there is no way you could bend them. these things are stout.

from RK
"Here are the stats on those! For JK lower control arms; they have the following features!

* Fully machined chromoly housings versus as forged surfaces
* Obviously greasable, but they are still very well sealed from the enviroment. They have a grease groove machined in them like our current ones.
* up to +/- 30 degrees of misalignment for a total of up 60 degrees (crazy we know - this is the big thing we were after)
* Larger bushings and ball centers for improved ride quality and improved durability
* Machined to accept 9/16 hardware (That is right, we listen to our customers and Jeep community. It just takes time to go through development, testing and get them into production.)
* Heck, they just look better! This is our 10th year in business! Time to step up the game! The more enviroments we test in, the better we want to be. In our new facility we have new machines, so why not take advantage of them! Game on.

These are true spherical joints, not want to be spherical joints with off-road ability that cannot be matched by any other rebuildable, spherical, take apart joint!

The only draw back is, a tool is now required to adjust pre-load or rebuild them. "

Roads?

2010 2dr Rubicon
2.5 Rock Krawler Flex
Riddler Diff Covers
Ace Rock Sliders
Mopar Winch Bumper with Bull Bar
Smittybuilt XRC8Comp
Olympic Rear Rock Bumper
Rock Hard Skids

Last edited by SoCalJK2010; 10-24-2013 at 10:55 PM.
post #20 of 30 Old 10-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

No experience yet, but had decided a few months back on Metal Cloak when I get to that stage. Good to hear all the great reviews on them. And as far as the "ugly" factor, that's what paint is for. But to me, they look fine. What I'm after is the ride and the flex.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #21 of 30 Old 10-25-2013, 04:53 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
In Balto. (city county line off of Ritchie Hwy). My neighbor and I do all the work, he has all the tools and lifts. But if needed I would not hesitate to give you a call. Just getting into the Jeep thing and luv it. We just did a lift on his friends 2012 2 dr. Not to bad. That was our 1st install. I could probably use your assistance on the BJ's when the time comes if your up to it.
That's not far. Pm me when you're ready and I'll help out with the Jeep. You're on your own with the ladies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCAJN View Post
Is this your criteria for control arms or something else....maybe you better explain?
Um....your mind went there not mine, so.............

and just for fun.

Quote:
Quote:
post #22 of 30 Old 10-25-2013, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Damn beer.......

Semper Fi
post #23 of 30 Old 10-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Rock God

I have the metal cloak arms with duroflex joints on my JK. Rides great and does well offroad. No complaints here. As a matter of fact, I like the joints so much that I went with the Teraflex long arm and am using the metal cloak duroflex inners in the teraflex housing. Not rolling yet but I have high hopes.

Use ONLY the metal cloak grease with their joints. I have not yet had to rebuild one but they look very simple.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #24 of 30 Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJK2010 View Post
I have the new Rock Krawler joints on my LCAs. They are built very well. Machined housings with rebuild able joints offer lifetime expectancy. they are guaranteed for life but there is no way you could bend them. these things are stout.

from RK
"Here are the stats on those! For JK lower control arms; they have the following features!

* Fully machined chromoly housings versus as forged surfaces
* Obviously greasable, but they are still very well sealed from the enviroment. They have a grease groove machined in them like our current ones.
* up to +/- 30 degrees of misalignment for a total of up 60 degrees (crazy we know - this is the big thing we were after)
* Larger bushings and ball centers for improved ride quality and improved durability
* Machined to accept 9/16 hardware (That is right, we listen to our customers and Jeep community. It just takes time to go through development, testing and get them into production.)
* Heck, they just look better! This is our 10th year in business! Time to step up the game! The more enviroments we test in, the better we want to be. In our new facility we have new machines, so why not take advantage of them! Game on.

These are true spherical joints, not want to be spherical joints with off-road ability that cannot be matched by any other rebuildable, spherical, take apart joint!

The only draw back is, a tool is now required to adjust pre-load or rebuild them. "
Our new Pro Series or Krawler Joints were developed for racing and extreme applications, but also provide more vibration isolation as compared to previous units. These new joints combined with our bushing end at the frame provide the most amount of vibration isolation in the industry for arms featuring spherical joints. Not to mention, the high clearance feature, lifetime warranty and the fact that they are made in the USA.

Hope that helps and good luck with your build.

RK
post #25 of 30 Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Wheeler

I'm running the full Metalcloak game changer and love it. Joints are very smooth and quiet for daily driving. And the zinc coating is great if you live in a cold climate and they salt the shit out of the roads.

Project Saskuatch is underway!! 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
3.5" MC Game Changer, Genright Armour, Warn Winch, Fuel Wheels, 37" Nitto's, AEV hood, JW Speaker w/ Rigid Lights.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode