RCV's and Ram setup questions. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-22-2013, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

RCV's and Ram setup questions.

Well I went to the RCV's a while ago. When I steer it I was just careful at full turns L and R. Now I am getting ram assist. I was asked to measure the steering travel. I expected 6"s as that is what redneck ram expected but thought I should get a measure either way. It measured 5"s. I can't get to the stops. I had read here that no adjustment is needed but that is incorrect on my stock axle sleeved with gm1 ton tre's. I am adjusting the stops and going with 5" ram.

Any questions?
Anyone running this setup experiencing the same things?

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
Well I went to the RCV's a while ago. When I steer it I was just careful at full turns L and R. Now I am getting ram assist. I was asked to measure the steering travel. I expected 6"s as that is what redneck ram expected but thought I should get a measure either way. It measured 5"s. I can't get to the stops. I had read here that no adjustment is needed but that is incorrect on my stock axle sleeved with gm1 ton tre's. I am adjusting the stops and going with 5" ram.

Any questions?
Anyone running this setup experiencing the same things?
From my experiance (I've measured the stroke on 6 different jeeps, 4 and 2 doors), the steering box will give a tie rod stroke of 5.5".

Steering stop to steering stop with the axle disconnected from the steering box is 6.75".

The PSC JK kit provides a 6.75" ram.

I have two friends with 6" PSC rams (5.625" of total stroke) that can turn lock to lock without issue.

I run an 8" ram that I plan to limit to 6", tho I've been to lazy to get around to it. I run RCV's with no bind or issues of any form.

To my knowledge, RCV's have more turning radius than the factory stops allow.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Rock God

i have a pr44 with RCV's and use a 6" ram. zero issues

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-22-2013, 11:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
i have a pr44 with RCV's and use a 6" ram. zero issues
Do you hit the knuckle steering lock on the differential at full turn?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-22-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Yeah I figured I was hitting the stops but I believe the joint it binding at that point preventing that it from doing so. There has to be some difference. I am going to contact rcv to see what they know. This is causing a lot of confusion and the illusion of misinformation.

Edit - ok got off the phone with rcv performance. Talked with Sean. Short version of the call with him is the shaft has no problem going stop to stop on stock setup. We determined that I need to find what's binding. Asked me to call him back once I know.

Well I have not confirmed it yet but on initial inspection it appears to be the axle sleeves I put in are the cause for interference. I don't want to take the knuckles out right now to do some grinding but that appears to be the fix.

Can anyone confirm this that is experiencing what I am. Take a close look and you will see what the problem is. More work.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

Last edited by JeepUpKeep37s; 10-22-2013 at 12:13 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Rock God

I have the 6" stroke redneck setup on my JK and I actually did not get lock to lock on the steering stops with it. I had to add a washer behind each one. For me this wasn't a big deal as I'm running 40's so it helps keep the tires out of the frame and grille. I'm also running RCV's so it gives me a little additional piece of mind.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #7 of 12 Old 10-22-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

That's a nice setup you have there. Nice.

Is your front diff sleeved? That's what I am interested in is that I think those who are sleeved are not getting to the factory stops with rcv's and perhaps other axles.

post #8 of 12 Old 10-23-2013, 05:44 AM
Rock God

Garage

Wat do the sleeves have to do with getting lock to lock steering? There should be next to no movement in the part of the shaft that is in the axle tube. All of your movement should be at the joint. The rcv's should move freely until the bell hits the shaft.

Last edited by spedly; 10-23-2013 at 05:47 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-23-2013, 07:04 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
That's a nice setup you have there. Nice.

Is your front diff sleeved? That's what I am interested in is that I think those who are sleeved are not getting to the factory stops with rcv's and perhaps other axles.
It is sleeved, trussed, and gusseted. None of which should have anything to do with hitting the steering stops. The movement within the axle tube is minimal. The only issue I have seen is when trying to use 35 spline RCV's and certain sleeves. This still doesn't affect reaching the steering stops but the 35 spline RCV shaft did rub the sleeve lightly at full lock.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #10 of 12 Old 10-23-2013, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadjeeper View Post
It is sleeved, trussed, and gusseted. None of which should have anything to do with hitting the steering stops. The movement within the axle tube is minimal. The only issue I have seen is when trying to use 35 spline RCV's and certain sleeves. This still doesn't affect reaching the steering stops but the 35 spline RCV shaft did rub the sleeve lightly at full lock.
Well I will confirm but it is either the sleeve or the gm offset tre's or the rcv itself that is limiting travel. I don't have the answers to my problem yet. Just seeing what others have experienced. There is movement slightly in the axle when turned. Sean at rcv acknowledged that possibility. I didn't think I was going to look at this till the weekend but I may have some time this morning to check it and at least rule out the axle sleeve or not.

Edit - ok I made a mistake but I am open enough to listen to you guys and what you have to say.

When I first checked my steering travel I had it on the ground. Today I put the front axle on stands. Bottom line it goes from lock to lock. There is some axle movement side to side and it's not an issue when sleeved. Get the wheels unweighted and it will go lock to lock. I spun the wheels and as expected there is no binding.

There myth busted then!

I have 6.5" steering travel. So Texas off-road will limit it to that.

Last edited by JeepUpKeep37s; 10-23-2013 at 08:05 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadjeeper View Post
I have the 6" stroke redneck setup on my JK and I actually did not get lock to lock on the steering stops with it. I had to add a washer behind each one. For me this wasn't a big deal as I'm running 40's so it helps keep the tires out of the frame and grille. I'm also running RCV's so it gives me a little additional piece of mind.

using ram assist you dont want your steering stops to be your turn limiter.

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #12 of 12 Old 10-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
no, but that was my intention, to not hit the stops.

i had an 8" ram before and when it hit the stops the ram would try to keep turning. i know some people say the steering box will automatically stop pumping once it hits hydraulic stop, but that wasn't true with my box (PSC). after my steering would hit full turn on the box, the ram would jerk it beyond the turning radius of the box and slam into my steering stops. PSC even specifically states that the ram should be the stopping point, no where else

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode