Short stretch question on a 2 door - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Short stretch question on a 2 door

I'm starting to think about stretching my 2 door. I'd like to get to a point where I have a low COG 2D JK with great highway ride, and great stability on and off road. I'd like to keep it under 2" of lift with 37" tires and little cutting or trimming.

I like the stock look so I already have a set of the Wildboar high clearance fender flares which I plan to use to provide more opening for the 37" tires. It is described that I could get 35" tires in these fenders with no lift at all.

My question is how far can I move the rear axle back without the need for cutting the entire back off the panel and adding a new rear quarter panel? Any suggestions on a good system to use?

I also have read a lot on the forum that the front should only be moved forward about 2 inches if I don't want to deal with relocating the steering box. Any suggestions on the best system to use for the front?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 11:18 AM
JKowners Vendor

Sir

We make 3" rear stretch systems for 2 Door JK's at 2.5"/3.5" and 5.5" of lift! They are awesome and yield you with 99" of wheel base. It makes for a great rig. Allot of companies like PSC, RR, and Gen Right make stretch corners for the application already.

RK
post #3 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Sir

We make 3" rear stretch systems for 2 Door JK's at 2.5"/3.5" and 5.5" of lift! They are awesome and yield you with 99" of wheel base. It makes for a great rig. Allot of companies like PSC, RR, and Gen Right make stretch corners for the application already.

RK
This....

Great setup seen it and worth the coin....mild stretch and well build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 12:13 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I'm in the process of building a two door using RK's 2.5" long arm with the 3" stretch. This is the kit:

http://www.rockkrawler.com/ProductDe...=RKJK25XFLA-3S

You will have to cut the rear out a bit, but it isn't anything extreme, nor a complete comp cut.

Here are a few Jeeps running this suspension:

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Vehicles...4846&k=nz9vdDW

John @ sPOD's JK:

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Events-1...4472&k=2dMBJfT

Poison Spyder doesn't have the armor in final production yet, but you can see how they did it.

This is custom armor and my two door that is in the works. You can see about where the rear wheel will end up if you use your imagination. I need to start a build thread.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thank you all for the feedback.

RK - I'll be calling you in the next couple weeks to get a little more information.

It also seems like everyone who does a stretch mod adds stretch corners or armor. Is there a reason you need the stretch corners or armor. I'd perfoer not to add that but I'm in the learning and data gathering phase at this point.

Thanks
post #6 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 02:58 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax00 View Post
Thank you all for the feedback.

RK - I'll be calling you in the next couple weeks to get a little more information.

It also seems like everyone who does a stretch mod adds stretch corners or armor. Is there a reason you need the stretch corners or armor. I'd perfoer not to add that but I'm in the learning and data gathering phase at this point.

Thanks
The way the JK body is made, it really is required. Unfortunately it is not made like the TJ/LJ/ or YJ tub...

If you cut it open at all, you would end up with 2 seems which would look bad..

RK
post #7 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
The way the JK body is made, it really is required. Unfortunately it is not made like the TJ/LJ/ or YJ tub...

If you cut it open at all, you would end up with 2 seems which would look bad..

RK
Thanks for the insight.
post #8 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 03:50 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax00 View Post

Thanks
In the picture below I have cut out most of the rear pinch seam, all the way to the top of the tire area in the picture. My axle is still in the stock location. Imagine it being back 3" in the wheel well and you'll see that you don't have any up travel there.

Check out these photos of where this JK was cut for corners similar to mine.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Vehicles...N2NCw&lb=1&s=A

This picture shows the completed cutting for the suspension they put on there. It is way out there, but it is stretched about 3".

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Vehicles...5692&k=r6WPK6w

Marcus

post #9 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Granite Guru

Not to hijack the tread, but is it possible/recommended to do a 3" stretch and keep the mid-arm setup?
post #10 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 06:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Arm length really has nothing to do with stretch. That being said you will be mounting new frame side brackets and might as well just do a long arm while you are at it.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #11 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 07:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Are there any foreseeable problems with swapping out my rear mid arm for their 3" stretch long arm kit? Would keep the front their mid arm.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #12 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 07:53 PM
JKO Addict!

You should do more like a 8" stretch with long arm rears.

Some build info here:

post #13 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 08:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
You should do more like a 8" stretch with long arm rears.
would really like to go the 8" route, but having to do a comp cut on my dd will surely cause some problems with johnny law as i am sure you know.

PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #14 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 08:18 PM
JKO Addict!

You are already illegal in Illinois so whats the difference. I never had a problem even running without fenders in Illinois. The cop has to be a real dick head to pick on someone for lift/clearance laws.

Some build info here:

post #15 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 08:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
You are already illegal in Illinois so whats the difference. I never had a problem even running without fenders in Illinois. The cop has to be a real dick head to pick on someone for lift/clearance laws.
hmm, this is true. Cant be to expensive of a ticket. Ill have to look more into the 8" stretch and cut. Gonna have to read over yours and Co4Lo's thread a few times. Thanks

post #16 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 08:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Give Nate a call, I am sure he would help you out as well. He built his own corner armor.

With an 8" stretch on a 2 door you will climb like a billy goat.

Some build info here:

post #17 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 08:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Give Nate a call, I am sure he would help you out as well. He built his own corner armor.

With an 8" stretch on a 2 door you will climb like a billy goat.
Who is Nate? Ya I was at the BLs a few times you were there, extremely impressive!

post #18 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 PM
JKO Addict!

http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/showt...retched-2-door

Some build info here:

post #19 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Sweet thanks, Have talked to him at the BLs as well.

post #20 of 33 Old 10-21-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

This has really helped me understand strtches a little better. Thank you all for the comments.
post #21 of 33 Old 10-22-2013, 05:33 AM
Rock God

I did a 3" rear stretch and 1" front. I am right at 100" wb. It made a world of difference. In my opinion, by keeping it low, an 8" stretch would have you getting high centered on the belly more than with the mild stretch. I you were going big with 40"+ tires, then a true comp cut will yield the best results.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #22 of 33 Old 10-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
In the picture below I have cut out most of the rear pinch seam, all the way to the top of the tire area in the picture. My axle is still in the stock location. Imagine it being back 3" in the wheel well and you'll see that you don't have any up travel there.

Check out these photos of where this JK was cut for corners similar to mine.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Vehicles...N2NCw&lb=1&s=A

This picture shows the completed cutting for the suspension they put on there. It is way out there, but it is stretched about 3".

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Vehicles...5692&k=r6WPK6w

Marcus
Marcus, what brand rear corners are you using here?

NCSU WOLFPACK!
post #23 of 33 Old 10-22-2013, 08:59 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloman77 View Post
Marcus, what brand rear corners are you using here?
It is custom Poison Spyder armor that they built for me. It is 3/16" the whole way around! I will start a build thread later today.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #24 of 33 Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

that's what I thought, but had to ask. I wish they would come out with these corners, makes the 3" stretch so clean in the end. Other option is River Raider and cutting my own wheel wells, not out of the question, its just these corners fit so well.

Looks like I will have to wait until they release them.

NCSU WOLFPACK!
post #25 of 33 Old 10-22-2013, 12:33 PM
JKowners Vendor

We offer both an 8" stretch and the 3" stretch systems. That being said, the 8" stretch is only offered at a 5.5 lift height so people running it have to run BIG tires (40 and up). If not, the 3" stretch systems at 2.5 and 3.5" of lift with 37's or 38's will be more functional all the way around. That is just our opinion.

It does help that aftermarket support is starting to come around for 3" stretch systems like corners!

With TJ's and YJ's comp cutting was easy, but we still sell way more 5" stretches for TJ's and YJ's than we do big boy 8" stretches because it seems people want to keep their jeeps more "street-able"

This is just our opinion and our experiences..

RK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode