Steering Stabilizer (passive vs. active) question... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Steering Stabilizer (passive vs. active) question...

So while replacing my steering stabilizer I noticed that the stock unit will hold it's position when compressed or extended, while the aftermarket unit returns to full extension. I did not suspect the new stabilizer would have enough hydraulic force to cause noticeable difference when installed, but I was wrong. It actually pushes the steering slightly to the drivers side. It's not uncontrollable by any stretch, but its kind of irritating.
Does anybody know how these two different stabilization methods are indicated by the mfg? I doubt it's passive and active, but that's the only way I could explain it.

2012 JKU Altitude
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

The factory SS is a non gas changed twin tube. I would venture a guess you installed a monotube gas charged SS. The gas pressure is there to help reduce cavitation in the shock, and usually causes it to extend. Yes, it can be annoying.

Some mfg's suggest aiming the direction of extension (due to gas charge) to the driver side, working with the crown of most roads.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions as I don't run a SS.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
The factory SS is a non gas changed twin tube. I would venture a guess you installed a monotube gas charged SS. The gas pressure is there to help reduce cavitation in the shock, and usually causes it to extend. Yes, it can be annoying.

Some mfg's suggest aiming the direction of extension (due to gas charge) to the driver side, working with the crown of most roads.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions as I don't run a SS.
Well that was pretty damn insightful. I've read enough to know that a properly adjusted front end shouldn't require a stabilizer but I have not attempted it yet. Maybe that's the solution. Thanks red

2012 JKU Altitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCAJN View Post
I've read enough to know that a properly adjusted front end shouldn't require a stabilizer but I have not attempted it yet. Maybe that's the solution.
Yes, a properly set up front end does not require a SS, but they have a purpose. Shock to the steering linkage, on an offroad, will wear out steering components (especially our fragile POS steering boxes). SS's work to take the harshness out of that shock. Yes you can run without one, but I would argue you will wear TRE's quicker, as an example.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
Yes, a properly set up front end does not require a SS, but they have a purpose. Shock to the steering linkage, on an offroad, will wear out steering components (especially our fragile POS steering boxes). SS's work to take the harshness out of that shock. Yes you can run without one, but I would argue you will wear TRE's quicker, as an example.
10-4...got some thinking to do...thanks again.

2012 JKU Altitude
post #6 of 14 Old 10-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Granite Guru

Also, depending on the brand of steering stabilizer, it may just have too much pressure in it. If there is a schrader valve on it, you can adjust it. Typically around 20 psi is all you need for it to do it's job. Be careful though, stabilizers have a very small internal air volume and it is very easy to release all the pressure by checking it. Make sure you have a way to recharge it when doing this.

Chris Steimle
Product Manager

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-21-2013, 12:19 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

You might call me crazy, but after receiving dozens of inquiries about the Fox ATS stabilizer I finally broke down and bought one. That thing is worth every penny of the cost.

http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m...=21&ref=filter

It is true that you can run a properly set up Jeep or solid axle vehicle without a stabilizer, but they definitely serve a purpose.

The Fox is tunable with 24 clicks of adjustment and it also includes the brackets to relocate it to the top of your tie rod, which would normally cost about $90 plus the cost of a stabilizer. Once you put all that on paper, you're really only spending about $100 more for a much better unit than anything else out there.

My Jeep will drive down the road straight as an arrow with 37s at 28 PSI with a single finger on the steering wheel. It doesn't jerk or pull when you're in rough patches, and the grooves in the road don't affect it like they did before. I'm in love with this thing.

Marcus

post #8 of 14 Old 10-21-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllJumpStyle View Post
Also, depending on the brand of steering stabilizer, it may just have too much pressure in it. If there is a schrader valve on it, you can adjust it. Typically around 20 psi is all you need for it to do it's job. Be careful though, stabilizers have a very small internal air volume and it is very easy to release all the pressure by checking it. Make sure you have a way to recharge it when doing this.
No schrader on this one unfortunately..

2012 JKU Altitude
post #9 of 14 Old 10-21-2013, 01:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Go back to a cheap hydraulic steering stabilizer.

Before considering a SS over $50, I'd put the money toward a DIY ram setup and have a real "active" steering stabilizer for about $300 by the time you're done with it. ..I could do it cheaper if I had to do it again, that little guy is worth every penny!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 10-21-2013 at 01:57 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
You might call me crazy, but after receiving dozens of inquiries about the Fox ATS stabilizer I finally broke down and bought one. That thing is worth every penny of the cost.

http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m...=21&ref=filter

It is true that you can run a properly set up Jeep or solid axle vehicle without a stabilizer, but they definitely serve a purpose.

The Fox is tunable with 24 clicks of adjustment and it also includes the brackets to relocate it to the top of your tie rod, which would normally cost about $90 plus the cost of a stabilizer. Once you put all that on paper, you're really only spending about $100 more for a much better unit than anything else out there.

My Jeep will drive down the road straight as an arrow with 37s at 28 PSI with a single finger on the steering wheel. It doesn't jerk or pull when you're in rough patches, and the grooves in the road don't affect it like they did before. I'm in love with this thing.

Marcus

Does the clamp fit on a 1.5" tire rod? I have the Ruff Stuff HD tie rod. Might be my biggest hurdle.

MUST KEEP CARD IN WALLET...MUST KEEP CARD IN WALLET...MUST KEEP CARD IN WALLET...MUST... KEEP... CARD... IN... WALLET...!!

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
post #11 of 14 Old 10-21-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Go back to a cheap hydraulic steering stabilizer.

Before considering a SS over $50, I'd put the money toward a DIY ram setup and have a real "active" steering stabilizer for about $300 by the time you're done with it. ..I could do it cheaper if I had to do it again, that little guy is worth every penny!

Even more to consider...

2012 JKU Altitude
post #12 of 14 Old 10-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

I'm really happy with the Hydraulic Assist option.

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate

Last edited by DiscoBayJoe; 10-21-2013 at 03:28 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Granite Guru

Having driven with both the hydo assist/Fox ATS both offer a much improved driving experience over stock. My only complaint on the Fox(At stiffer settings.) would be that it makes bigger tires even harder to turn at slow speeds. The single complaint I have about the hydro assist is that there can be a slight lag when quickly changing directions at idle.
I had a bilstein Damper on my last JK, and while it did make the steering "feel" better, it created a slight pull.
With that said I will be going Hydro assist again with the new Jeep.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-23-2013, 01:32 PM
JKO Addict!

my bilstein does the same, i thought it would have gotten better over time but it hasnt...

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode