AEV fuel caddy - sans AEV tire carrier - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-21-2013, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

AEV fuel caddy - sans AEV tire carrier

Just curious... how hard would it be to fab something that could support the AEV fuel caddy - say off of the Teraflex tailgate hinges.

Do you think think hing side of the JK could support the weight, plus the weight of a 35" ?

Any other considerations? Or should one just try to fit the AEV tire carrier onto the Mopar bumper I have, and be done with it?

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-21-2013, 02:17 AM
Wheeler

I don't know how much the AEV fuel caddy weighs, but considering the teraflex hinge is designed to carry up to a 37" tire and they sell an accessory bracket for a hi-lift jack or rotopax, I would think that you would be ok.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

The gas would weight just under 90 lbs, say another 40 for the tank and bracket, and another 100 for the tire. That's 230 lbs. What's the heavier 37s weigh?

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Wheeler

Teraflex shows their bracket with a hi-lift jack (30lbs) and two rotopax (3 gallons of fuel each - 36 lbs) with a 37" tire (about 15 lbs more than a comparable 35). Figure 80 lbs + bracket and empty rotopax weight more than your 35" spare alone.

The AEV fuel caddy holds 10 gallons of fuel (about 60 lbs) plus the weight of the caddy and the bracket you fab. The difference in weight between the two applications probably won't be much, but the AEV setup is carrying that weight at the center of the spare, where the Teraflex bracket mounts close to the hinge point.

After looking at the AEV setup, I would be concerned about hanging that much weight that far from the hinge point. I think the Teraflex equipment will handle it, but I could see the Jeep side of the hinge giving way over time, especially if your bouncing around off road a lot.

Hope the info is helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode