6.1 Hemi conversion error code. Help! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-18-2013, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

6.1 Hemi conversion error code. Help!

I have a 2007 JK unlimited w/ a 6.1L Hemi conversion. It has ran fine up until two weeks ago when it threw an error code. It started running rough and smelled very rich. The code was p0202. Which is #2 cylinder injected problem or an open ground in the wire. I have switched the injectors and the code has stayed the same. I can hear the injectors ticking so I don't think it's the injectors. Not really sure how to check all the wiring. The conversion is from Burnsville Offroad. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Granite Guru

Give Burnsville a call?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 Sahara Unlimited, D44s Supercharged LS on 37s....
post #3 of 12 Old 10-19-2013, 03:34 PM
MGV
Wheeler

Check your coil connections to cylinder / plugs...they can. They can come loose - happened to me on my 5.7 hemi...same code - easy fix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-19-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

I gave Burnsville a call and they weren't much help at all.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-19-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I will try that. If it was pulling the same code, was it the cool pack from that cylinder or another one? I have taken that cool pack off ad out it back in and nothing has changed. Could it be a spark plug issue?
post #6 of 12 Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

How can u make sure the coil oaks are connecting well? All u can do is push the coil packs down onto the spark plugs and tighten bolts. Can u pull on the springs inside to help make the connection better? Just wondering.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-22-2013, 07:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lift6in View Post
One would think for what a Burnsville Hemi conversion costs they'd be more helpful. It's feedback like that that keeps me from considering them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lift6in View Post
Can you elaborate on this?
Did you try calling Dakota Customs and asking for Dan?
http://dakota-customs.com/
post #9 of 12 Old 10-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Rock God

Mr Google Says

What does that mean?P0202 means that the PCM detected a fault in the injector or the wiring to the injector. It monitors the injector and when the injector is activated, the PCM expects to see the voltage pulled "low" or close to zero. When the injector is switched off, the PCM expects to see a voltage that is close to battery voltage or "high". If it doesn't see the expected voltage the PCM will set this code. The PCM also monitors resitance in the circuit. If the resistance is excessively low or high it will set this code.

Potential SymptomsThe symptoms for this code will likely be a misfire and a rough running engine. Poor acceleration. The MIL will also be illuminated.

CausesThe causes of a P0202 engine light code could be any of the following:

Bad injector. This is usually the cause of this code but doesn't rule out the possibility of one of the other causes
Open in the wiring to the injector
Short in the wiring to the injector
Bad PCM
Possible SolutionsFirst, using a DVOM check the resistance of the injector. If it isn't within specs, then replace the injector.
Check for voltage at the fuel injector connector. It should have 10 volts or more.
Visually check the connector for damage or broken wires.
Visually check the injector for damage.
If you have access to an injector tester, activate the injector and see if it operates. If the injector operates, then you likely have either an open in the wiring, or a blocked injector. If you do not have access to a tester, swap the injector with another one and see if the code changes. If the code changes, then change the injector.
At the PCM, remove the driver wire from the PCM connector and Ground the wire. (Make sure you have the correct wire. If you're not sure, do not attempt) The injector should activate
Replace the injector
post #10 of 12 Old 10-23-2013, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Yes. That is who I talked to. He is w/ Dakota Customs now. He says he has never had a PCM of his come back bad. As for the other post, if someone is on the fence to use them, all I can say right now is I talked to the guy I bought this jeep from. He has never had the engine light come on and has never had a problem w/ the set up at all. He drove it from southern Ohio to Florida and back and has had it in high altitudes in Colorado trail riding. No over heating or anything. I'm just hoping this is a dumb problem that I haven't been able to track down just yet. I'm going today to have the computer read by a more capable computer that my hand held code reader. We will see what that and a mechanic w/ more electrical knowledge comes up with. With any luck I will let you know what the problem is. Thanks for the input.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-31-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

The fix

Well, after a lot if research, taking the jeep to a friends shop with a good scan tool here's what I have found. Unrealated but the battery should have been putting out 750 cold cranking Amos and was only putting out 150. Got a new battery. I rented a nous light tester to check if I had a pulse going to the #2 cylinder and it was just a constant light which I was told either u have a wire grounding somewhere or it's grounded in the PCM and your computer is shot. However I was able to get a pulse while moving the wire harness so I took the Harness apart and started moving every wire. I noticed a little running on the harness on the fuel rail but wires didnt look bad. I never pin pointed the problem like I would have liked to but I rewraped the worn area and I now cannot replicated the problem. I've tried everything to get it to do it again and nothing so I'm back in business. Thanks for all the help.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-03-2013, 07:33 AM
jss
Rock God

You might need to check the wiring gauge, it might be to small?

["jeep speed shop The GuineaPig Build"]
VVT Truck Hemi Conversions
The ONLY CARB LEGAL JEEP ENGINE CONVERSION

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7911 Redwood Dr, Cotati, Ca. 94931
707-338-3154
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode