JSS LS swap kit, who has actually done one? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

JSS LS swap kit, who has actually done one?

I'm still on the fence a bit about the whole LS swap. It appears as though the choices are Motech, which is the most popular and possibly the best, or JSS, which is cheaper but somewhat unknown.

My question is has anyone on here actually done the JSS kit? What are your feelings on it?

I'm really not looking to hear opinions of those who haven't used their products. I want real, hands on experience, if it exists.

TIA

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Granite Guru

If you read a significant amount of both party's posts, it should become clear why everyone uses MoTech and JSS is unknown.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 05:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Has anyone done a Motech kit, besides Motech?

JKUS Sort of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr002 View Post
If you read a significant amount of both party's posts, it should become clear why everyone uses MoTech and JSS is unknown.
I'm aware of many posts by both parties, but that's not the topic at hand in this post.

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
post #5 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR LIKA View Post
Has anyone done a Motech kit, besides Motech?
I know of a local shop that has done a few, Rock Solid Performance, and a member on here who's screen name escapes me at the moment. I believe there was another member on here who did a Motech kit, but did a Gen III w/ 4l60e.

post #6 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Rock God

jeff aka jeep2.0 did one in his garage, and just search ls in jk, there was a guy who just did his own in like 2 weeks

robbie's, customer service is top notch

Texas Complete Truck Center
5670 S Interstate 35
New Braunfels, Texas
(210) 412-6379

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Granite Guru

only people I know of on here that done them at home is me and jeep 2.0. it was a breeze and id be weary of jss kit it really is unknown, I did read of one person tring their kit on here and never got it running and had to get motech to help them out, but yeah its all hear-say right
post #8 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Granite Guru

i did a Motech swap in my garage, just waiting on some final parts to be finished up but it's been on a short test run and everything seems pretty good. A few phone calls here and there but the videos are a real help. I would say talk to both of them on the phone and you'll get your own idea which way to go (not talking anyone down, I think that you know your abilities best and you'll know if the savings is worth it).

It's pretty straight forward, I didn't know to send my electrical harnesses so that took an extra day or so to wire up but Robbies directions were good. I think if I had all the parts on hand I could do it in a little over a week, maybe less. I have a lift to take the body off so that helps tons.

Problem with waiting for parts is I get doing other thing like completely building my axles, adding locker, drive shafts, fenders, paint job etc.....to say the least I got carried away and should have just got the 6.2.

Got tons of pictures of the little things if anyone needs them. Just finishing up skid plates now.

Sean

******sorry, trying to shrink that down!!!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Sgo70; 10-14-2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: image sizing
post #9 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgo70 View Post
i did a Motech swap in my garage, just waiting on some final parts to be finished up but it's been on a short test run and everything seems pretty good. A few phone calls here and there but the videos are a real help. I would say talk to both of them on the phone and you'll get your own idea which way to go (not talking anyone down, I think that you know your abilities best and you'll know if the savings is worth it).

It's pretty straight forward, I didn't know to send my electrical harnesses so that took an extra day or so to wire up but Robbies directions were good. I think if I had all the parts on hand I could do it in a little over a week, maybe less. I have a lift to take the body off so that helps tons.

Problem with waiting for parts is I get doing other thing like completely building my axles, adding locker, drive shafts, fenders, paint job etc.....to say the least I got carried away and should have just got the 6.2.

Got tons of pictures of the little things if anyone needs them. Just finishing up skid plates now.

Sean

******sorry, trying to shrink that down!!!!!!
I'm interested in the pictures as I'm sure others are. Do you have a build thread?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
post #10 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Granite Guru

No thread, maybe I'll start one. Got a cold right now and nothing better to do.

Sean
post #11 of 15 Old 10-15-2013, 05:29 AM

I recently bought a LS swap from JSS. Todd is a nice guy and had answers to my questions. The only problem was that he lost staffing so everything took WAAAYYY too long. O and BTW, he doesnt have instructions for the kit yet!! still in the works. I'm going with Robbie now. Thank god Todd was cool enough to let me return the kit.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-16-2013, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

So that's that...

I just wanted to see a thread like this because from what I can tell there really is no one, or at least anyone on this board, that has ran the JSS kit let alone gotten it running good.

I kinda figured at least one person would chime in with some JSS experience.

BTW my mind was pretty well made up before I even posted this. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

While Motech seems a little hard to get ahold of at times for questions JSS is worse, and almost every question I asked was answered with "No problems, we can make it work, buy the basic kit and we will go from there". If my JK was like some of my older projects I guess I wouldn't mind being part of the R&D for this kit. But I don't want to be down for months and months on end while some guy 3000 miles away figures out what is going on.

Thanks

post #13 of 15 Old 10-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Rock God

If you take on the install, I can help on the weekend's.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-17-2013, 07:16 AM
Granite Guru

I have one of Todds kits.My is a 5.3 with the 4l65 trans and it runs great.I did the install myself and had it up and running in a couple of weeks.The engine that I purchaced was out of an 07 nbs silverado.It has all of the GM accessories instead of adapting the jeep accessories over.My thought is that anything on that engine is an 07 chevy truck.Although the JSS kit isn't as complete as Motech I have mine up and running for a little over 6000.00 Total including the cost of the engine and Trans.The only thing that I don't have working is the cruise control.Thats not much more the Robbies kit alone.I do have to say that mine ran hot with the stock radiator.

07 unlimited LS 6.2 6l80 auto 3" black diamond 37" TOYO MT Trailready beadlocks arb's frt & rear
post #15 of 15 Old 10-17-2013, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcodjk View Post
I have one of Todds kits.My is a 5.3 with the 4l65 trans and it runs great.I did the install myself and had it up and running in a couple of weeks.The engine that I purchaced was out of an 07 nbs silverado.It has all of the GM accessories instead of adapting the jeep accessories over.My thought is that anything on that engine is an 07 chevy truck.Although the JSS kit isn't as complete as Motech I have mine up and running for a little over 6000.00 Total including the cost of the engine and Trans.The only thing that I don't have working is the cruise control.Thats not much more the Robbies kit alone.I do have to say that mine ran hot with the stock radiator.
Other than the cost that is one of the things I liked most about their kit. First of all because as you say, GM stays GM. But more importantly my JK accessory drive has 135k miles on it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode