Hemi Headers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question Hemi Headers

With all the Hemi Jk's I have seen here, why isn't anyone running aftermarket or custom headers ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Rock God

Clearance issues. Cost vs benefit issues. I have never seen aftermarket headers targeted at hemi conversions. Maybe they exist, but I doubt it.

The clearance issues are numerous. Its so tight that on 2011 (I think, maybe 2010) and newer hemi's AEV's kit requires you to replace the exhaust manifolds with the old style "log" ones that were used on hemis from 2005(?) thru 2010. (I may be off a year on either end.) Now, I have seen people maintain the factory exhaust manifolds on the 5.7 vvt motors and even a couple that have kept the 6.4 vvt manifolds. But doing so requires some trimming, fitting and creative custom exhaust work. And let's not forget that you need cats on the exhaust and you need them as close to the exhaust ports as possible so they achieve the required temperature to function correctly. (This of course assumes you need to pass a real smog test.)

Interference with aftermarket lifts, control arms and skids has to be factored in as well.

In the end, I think it is more cost effective to maintain the factory 5.7 vvt or the 6.4 exhaust manifolds. From what I have read, the 6.4 manifolds flow pretty damn well. I think doing that would get you 90% of what headers would get at substantially less cost. Thus the cost vs benefit part. Not to mention that adding headers may impact other areas of the performance envelope. And given the limited aftermarket support in general of the hemi motors, I don't think many people have the desire to go blindly into something like headers on a JK conversion. While not likely, it is possible you could actually do more harm than good. You may need a cam change to take full advantage of the headers. And changing the cam in a hemi is no small expense. One thing leads to another.........where does it end?
post #3 of 12 Old 06-17-2016, 12:09 PM
Rock God

Gonna bring this one back to life.

Has anyone attempted an upgrade from the 5.7 GC exhaust manifolds? Anyone use the stock 6.1 SRT headers? Not saying i aint happy but...why not if it is a reasonable cost. If you have done anything better than the 2010 GC 5.7 exhaust manifolds please give details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-18-2016, 06:56 AM
Granite Guru

I looked at that on mine and the frame would need a pretty good notch cut in it because the 6.4 exhaust flows out toward the inner fender. I figured it wasn't worth the hassle for me. We have strict emission testing here in the Front Range of Colorado so I want it to look stock when I have to go in for the first test after he seven year period.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Rock God

I spoke to Dan at Dakota/Burnsville. The other day and he said that he used the 6.1 headers on the 5.7's up until a couple years ago. He now has a set made by Borla. He said they will provide a noticeable gain. I have also been to,d by Todd at JSS believes they should fit. I also spoke to Artington Performance and they also said they will provide noticeable gains. Some said they will be a pain to install but Karrington when presented with the question of what the hassle is. He relied that the upper control arm mounts made it tough. I don't have that any longer. I found a set of 6.1 headers from an 08 SRT Grand Cherokee I am gonna give a shot. We will see.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-19-2016, 06:43 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by da20captain View Post
I spoke to Dan at Dakota/Burnsville. The other day and he said that he used the 6.1 headers on the 5.7's up until a couple years ago. He now has a set made by Borla. He said they will provide a noticeable gain. I have also been to,d by Todd at JSS believes they should fit. I also spoke to Artington Performance and they also said they will provide noticeable gains. Some said they will be a pain to install but Karrington when presented with the question of what the hassle is. He relied that the upper control arm mounts made it tough. I don't have that any longer. I found a set of 6.1 headers from an 08 SRT Grand Cherokee I am gonna give a shot. We will see.
Sounds good, let us know how it all turns out. I just had a couple PCV seals replaced on mine. There was an annoying oil leak that I could never find at the back of the engine. They were located under the intake manifold! I learned something on that one and would never have looked there for a PCV. There is a lot about these new electronically controlled motors that I have yet to learn!

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-19-2016, 06:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Why not go with the 6.4 stock manifolds? AEV must have a truck load of them sitting around!!
post #8 of 12 Old 06-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Rock God

I read somewhere they angle into the frame. I spoke to Rubitrux and they even said they put the 5.7 manifolds on. I know a guy with a 6.4 that said he was going to give it a whirl with the 6.4's. We shall see. In the mean time I think I am gonna scoop up the 6.1's. Not sure when I will get to install them.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Granite Guru

I have shortie headers on mine with custom exhaust.
I used truck headers and modified to make them fit.

After the fact I found out that the 06-08 Chrysler 300 headers bolt right up. I have not tried but seems that is the way to go.

Hope that helps
post #10 of 12 Old 06-19-2016, 07:00 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I read somewhere they angle into the frame. I spoke to Rubitrux and they even said they put the 5.7 manifolds on. I know a guy with a 6.4 that said he was going to give it a whirl with the 6.4's. We shall see. In the mean time I think I am gonna scoop up the 6.1's. Not sure when I will get to install them.
They do. I saw one at Trail Jeeps on a conversion they were doing and it required a pretty good notch in the frame. Looks like 5.9LJ has the answer.

post #11 of 12 Old 06-19-2016, 07:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9lj View Post
I have shortie headers on mine with custom exhaust.
I used truck headers and modified to make them fit.

After the fact I found out that the 06-08 Chrysler 300 headers bolt right up. I have not tried but seems that is the way to go.

Hope that helps
Is that the stock 6.1 headers from the 300 or will something like the JBA shorties work? So are saying the ones from the 300 a better fit than the ones from the 6.1 Grand Cherokee? The more info the better.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-21-2016, 02:50 PM
Granite Guru

The 2011+ grand Cherokee manifolds are an inch bigger than the 2010 manifolds.
I like factory reliability
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode