About to lift... making sure I've covered the bases. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

About to lift... making sure I've covered the bases.

New guy here! Looking for advice and thanks!

'12 JKUR auto with Evo skids as it sits right now.

Going with the Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel system. Stock rims for now wrapped in 35/1250-17 Nitto TGs.

The kit comes with an adjustable front track bar and relocation bracket for the back to correct the axle shift.

Recommended bump stop extensions?? Haven't decided what to go with front or rear yet.

Got the spidertrax 1.5 to correct for back spacing. Should I get the 1.75 or will the 1.5 be sufficient?

Going to get Bilstein 5100 shocks as well. Not sure I know what length I should order for this. Never ordered custom shocks before. Help!

Front drive shaft is not going to be an initial swap. Going to keep an eye on it and take it from there. Anyone running this setup have a problem?

Anyone running a 35" tire on their stock tire carrier? Bumpers/tire carrier are in the future but just not at this stage.

AEV procal tuner to correct speedometer and computer.

C gussets eventually.

Alignment after were done.

Aaaaaaand go! Appreciate any and all thoughts/concerns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-11-2013, 10:11 AM

I am new to the forum as well, but not new to Jeeps...
Some thoughts - And I am sure you will have many!
You are going to be spending about $2,000 +- for the lift. Spend the extra money and get new wheels with 4" of BS and not spacers. Spacers are gonna be about $200? Wheels will be about $500. (only a 15% difference in cost of lift)
Bumpstops should be determined after you install and flex to see where you rub.

You have a Rubi so you will need to cut your slider and the pinch seam.
If you have stock rear bumper you may have to modify that. Not sure of front, but you will hit that plastic whatever it is up front...
Front drive shaft will probably need to get replace anyway (weather you lift or not, mine is leaking already on a 2012) so just budgit that in.

but FIRST!!! do you have a winch? A lift is great, but it will not get out if you are stuck!

2012 JKU Rubicon - 35x10.5 swampers (trail tires), Warn 9.5 cti-s, Pavement Ends Front and Rear bumpers, Teraflex Leveling Kit, and some others...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-11-2013, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! Wheels really arn't high on my list. I like how the stock ones look and we're are going to get them plasticdip'd for the desired look.

Bumpstop info is helpful. I was under the impression you just throw them on there with the lift and don't look back.

Slider and pinch seam will be cut. Forgot to mention that. Not sure what plastic thing you are referring to. Bumpers are in the next phase as is the winch. We are very conservative and humble wheelers. We have other recovery gear and on top of that 9 times out of 10 we are with other jeeps as back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-11-2013, 10:45 AM
JKowners Vendor

Maybe we can help...

Are you running stock fenders or flat fenders? When we do this setup, we do a 2" front and rear bump with stock fenders and a 1" with flat or cut fenders. It is always a good idea to check clearances though after you do the install.

For the shocks, we run the longer travel shocks in the front end on this lift. The RK lifts will use all it!

We also recommend front spring clips and exhaust spacers since your JK is a 2012+.

For the spare on the OE carrier, you can but I would make that your next project. The stock carrier is not designed for the weight and can damage it and the tailgate itself.

Let us know if we can help! We would be more than happy to put together a package deal for you!

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #5 of 12 Old 10-11-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Stock fenders for now. Haven't decided if I want to go flat or not yet. If I do go flat they will just be cut stock fenders.

Do you have a part number for the shocks you are referring to? These are what I have.
Front 24-146708
Rear 24-146715

The front spring clips will be installed. Once again, left those out.

Question about the exhaust spacers! Will these fully solve the problem of needing an aftermarket DS with a skinny shaft? No giggling...

The OE tire carrier will be short lived. Spring time for bumpers is my goal.

Thanks for the offer for the package! I however live in North Texas...
post #6 of 12 Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTall View Post
New guy here! Looking for advice and thanks!

'12 JKUR auto with Evo skids as it sits right now.

Going with the Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel system. Stock rims for now wrapped in 35/1250-17 Nitto TGs.

The kit comes with an adjustable front track bar and relocation bracket for the back to correct the axle shift.

Recommended bump stop extensions?? Haven't decided what to go with front or rear yet.

Got the spidertrax 1.5 to correct for back spacing. Should I get the 1.75 or will the 1.5 be sufficient?

Going to get Bilstein 5100 shocks as well. Not sure I know what length I should order for this. Never ordered custom shocks before. Help!

Front drive shaft is not going to be an initial swap. Going to keep an eye on it and take it from there. Anyone running this setup have a problem?

Anyone running a 35" tire on their stock tire carrier? Bumpers/tire carrier are in the future but just not at this stage.

AEV procal tuner to correct speedometer and computer.

C gussets eventually.

Alignment after were done.

Aaaaaaand go! Appreciate any and all thoughts/concerns.
TooTall

Thanks for choosing RK... It looks like you have been thinking about your build!

Check out the info under the system and it will explain shock and bump options very well for your reference!

http://www.rockkrawler.com/ProductDe...tCode=RKJK25MT

Your front driveshaft should be fine. What wheel are you mounting on the OEM carrier with the 35?

Give us a shout if you want to wrap JK. Good luck with your build...

RK
post #7 of 12 Old 10-11-2013, 12:21 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTall View Post
Stock fenders for now. Haven't decided if I want to go flat or not yet. If I do go flat they will just be cut stock fenders.

Do you have a part number for the shocks you are referring to? These are what I have.
Front 24-146708
Rear 24-146715

The front spring clips will be installed. Once again, left those out.

Question about the exhaust spacers! Will these fully solve the problem of needing an aftermarket DS with a skinny shaft? No giggling...

The OE tire carrier will be short lived. Spring time for bumpers is my goal.

Thanks for the offer for the package! I however live in North Texas...
We would do these shock numbers:
24-186995
24-146715

As for the shaft, you should be fine as RK stated. I would do the exhaust spacer though. Just keep a eye out for the boot. If it gets torn than you will need to look into replacing it.

As far as living in Texas, no worries! We have a LOT of friends in Texas! We have free shipping on all of this to anywhere in the lower 48! So your good my friend!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #8 of 12 Old 10-11-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

For the 186995 vs 708s is that solely due to the extra 1.5 of travel? I assume this extension is to maximize the lifts capabilities as far as articulation? With the exhaust spacers, the driveshaft shouldn't have a problem with this extra extension correct? Thanks for your help. PM sent.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Rock God

I have the exact set up you are looking at lift, tires, shocks, everything. I went with 2" bump stop extensions and I ordered everything through Marcus at River City Offroad and he knew the shock length's to order with it. Even with almost 4 inches of actual lift my front shaft has been fine for about 8 months and 15K miles so far.

If you get the RK bump stops you do not need the spring clips. With the shocks fully extended my springs can NOT fall out and the top of them will only unseat by about an inch. I have never had a problem with my springs going anywhere.

You will have plenty of backspacing with the 1.5" spidertrack spacers but you will need to throw a washer on your steering stops to stop that last little bit of rub on the control arms.

Hope this helps. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any more questions about this specific set up.

2011 JKU Rubicon
PSC Evap Skid
PSC Diff Covers
Dynomax Rock Crawler exhaust
ACE Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex W/ Bilstein 5100's
35" Nitto Trail Grappler's
post #10 of 12 Old 10-11-2013, 02:04 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19T View Post
I have the exact set up you are looking at lift, tires, shocks, everything. I went with 2" bump stop extensions and I ordered everything through Marcus at River City Offroad and he knew the shock length's to order with it. Even with almost 4 inches of actual lift my front shaft has been fine for about 8 months and 15K miles so far.

If you get the RK bump stops you do not need the spring clips. With the shocks fully extended my springs can NOT fall out and the top of them will only unseat by about an inch. I have never had a problem with my springs going anywhere.

You will have plenty of backspacing with the 1.5" spidertrack spacers but you will need to throw a washer on your steering stops to stop that last little bit of rub on the control arms.

Hope this helps. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any more questions about this specific set up.
I was going to type this almost word for word...same lift, shocks, same bump stops. My front springs will rotate and not reseat exactly when flexed. Almost always have to rotate them back into position when done wheeling. I have not done retaining clips, but its on my list.

recently changed my front driveshaft because the lift will use alot of flex, and the stock boot clip will come into contact with the tranny at full flex, which will usually tear the boot up. Also the shaft will sit on the crossmember at full flex. aftermarket shafts are smaller diameter and will not have this issue.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #11 of 12 Old 10-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsrebiff View Post
I am new to the forum as well, but not new to Jeeps...
Some thoughts - And I am sure you will have many!
You are going to be spending about $2,000 +- for the lift. Spend the extra money and get new wheels with 4" of BS and not spacers. Spacers are gonna be about $200? Wheels will be about $500. (only a 15% difference in cost of lift)
Bumpstops should be determined after you install and flex to see where you rub.

You have a Rubi so you will need to cut your slider and the pinch seam.
If you have stock rear bumper you may have to modify that. Not sure of front, but you will hit that plastic whatever it is up front...
Front drive shaft will probably need to get replace anyway (weather you lift or not, mine is leaking already on a 2012) so just budgit that in.

but FIRST!!! do you have a winch? A lift is great, but it will not get out if you are stuck!
Winch is a good idea but honestly the front needs to be beefed up.

Go gussets, sleeves, and artec axle truss. As well get a sector shaft brace. This will prevent headaches in the future. I didn't do all of this. My axl is a wet noodle over bumps as it is over stressed and the steering box is shot.

Good luck.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #12 of 12 Old 10-11-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
Go gussets, sleeves, and artec axle truss. As well get a sector shaft brace.
Good luck.
Will be going with the gussets. Leaving the rest out. Dont want to open the axles for sleeves and we're pretty conservative wheelers so I think the truss is overkill. Not going 37s or any higher lift so I think the stock d44 is tough enough for what we do. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode