Trans temp sender install location - 2012 JK Auto - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ
Question Trans temp sender install location - 2012 JK Auto

I'm looking for places to install the sending unit of an AutoMeter Transmission Temp gauge on a 2012 JKU with auto transmission. As you know, there isn't a drain plug on the the mercedes NAG1/Mopar WA580 transmission, and currently, there aren't any after market replacement pans that fit (there is the cross brace and exhaust under the pan) PML is designing one to fit with a boss for a temp sensor, but it will be a few months.
I don't want to pull the pan and braise a boss in the stock pan, so I'm looking for options.

1) There is are 2 threaded fittings where the steel fluid lines (out and return) attach to the transmission and transmission pan. I thought I could get some pipe fittings and install a T at the connection point. Not sure what thread/size those connectors are, and if the lines have enough flex in them for this to work.

2) Splice into the rubber section of one of the lines up by the radiator, install a T with the sender.

3) Cut one of the steel lines, flare the ends and install a T for the sender.

4) Other?

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-10-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze View Post
I'm looking for places to install the sending unit of an AutoMeter Transmission Temp gauge on a 2012 JKU with auto transmission. As you know, there isn't a drain plug on the the mercedes NAG1/Mopar WA580 transmission, and currently, there aren't any after market replacement pans that fit (there is the cross brace and exhaust under the pan) PML is designing one to fit with a boss for a temp sensor, but it will be a few months.
I don't want to pull the pan and braise a boss in the stock pan, so I'm looking for options.

1) There is are 2 threaded fittings where the steel fluid lines (out and return) attach to the transmission and transmission pan. I thought I could get some pipe fittings and install a T at the connection point. Not sure what thread/size those connectors are, and if the lines have enough flex in them for this to work.

2) Splice into the rubber section of one of the lines up by the radiator, install a T with the sender.

3) Cut one of the steel lines, flare the ends and install a T for the sender.

4) Other?

Thx
bump...I saw a write-up for option 2 (tap the line coming from the transmission fluid cooler); is that what everyone else is doing? Is there any gear head out there who can provide a convincing argument for tapping the line out of the cooler instead of the line in? The one I read was not convincing.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Granite Guru

Pan is aluminum right? I might just drill a hole in the side and weld on a threaded bung
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 AM
Granite Guru

What about running a aeroforce gauge? do they not work on the newer jeeps yet?

Quote:
-I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-03-2014, 06:54 PM
JKowners Vendor

The current Aeroforce gauge for the Jeep JK displays trans temp on the 2012 and newer Jeeps. On these newer Jeeps it also displays Trans slip, trans gear, and torque.

Todd
post #6 of 6 Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Granite Guru

I cut the steel line coming from the transmission to the cooler & a Swagelok compression tee fitting to install my temp sending unit. I think it was a B-500-3TTM fitting, you tubing size may be different. I've had it installed for a couple years now with no issues.

2008 Rubicon
Rugged Ridge XHD Bumper w/Warn XD9000i
315/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx, No Lift
Superchips Flashpaq
Flow Daddy Headers
Gibson Dual Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode