Anyone installed a shift kit? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-04-2013, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Anyone installed a shift kit?

Just curious if any of you have put a shift kit in our 42rle trans? I searched it a bit and didn't come up with much. I am about to replace me torque converter with an ATS one. I will be adding a aux cooler and perhaps aux filter at the same time. I see that TransGo has one for the auto but haven't found anyone running it in a JK yet.

Thoughts?

-Living the dream - Didn't say it was mine-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-05-2013, 08:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i think a programmer does thesame thing, my trail dash firmed up the shifts quite a bit

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #3 of 6 Old 10-05-2013, 08:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Tell a little more about the replacement torque converter?

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-05-2013, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Tell a little more about the replacement torque converter?
I have been chasing a shudder/vibration in the Jeep for awhile. I noticed it when I bought it but thought it was just the old tires. After replacing and upgrading a number of parts I weeded out a ton of small issues and have now found the tc to be slipping around 35-45 mph when in OD under light throttle.

I know there are a number of threads dealing with TC issues in the 42rle. I started looking into a better aftermarket one because I didn't want another Chrysler unit.

I've known about ATS for awhile because they are big in the diesel power world. I was surprised when they came up in my searching for the JK. They make a nice 42rle for the JK to handle the hp and abuse of engine swaps and such. Along with that they make a good TC, valve body and controller. I called them and talked to Adam because I wanted to know what feedback they have gotten from their TC being used in JKs with the stock motor. He said they have a number of people running them and loving it. Given my talk with him and what I already know about them I ordered my TC. It arrives on Tuesday. Cost was a little over 800$ But there is a 400$ core charge refunded when I send mine back in. I plan to do the instal next weekend once everything is here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #5 of 6 Old 10-16-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Red face

Well... I got the new torque converter installed over the weekend. Never had such a rough time getting a trans out in my life! But doing it in the driveway when it starts to rain doesn't help matters any either. I had to laugh because when I was unbolting the converter to flexplate bolts I found 2 of them that came loose by hand. It was obvious that they never put loctite on those 2 but the other ones where tight as hell... When I pulled the trans back I found a sticker on the torque converter from 3/12. I can only assume that the PO was having issues, had it replaced with another stock Mopar POS and then traded it in because the vibration was still present. Either way, now the Jeep drives nice and smooth. MPG's went up a bit as well. Didn't get the aux cooler mounted in because the parts didnt show up in time so I will probably get to that next week when I am back at home. Dealing with the people at ATS was great and I would recommend them to anyone looking. Next on my list is a programmer of some sort. I opted NOT to get a shift kit. I didn't see anything great about them in any of the searching I did. Since it seems the line pressure is all computer controlled on these I fogure a programmer is probably the way to go.

post #6 of 6 Old 10-16-2013, 08:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Good stuff^^^^^, thanks.

I have an issue when my tranny shifts to 3rd gear send I don't really know what it may be. Like a flat spot after it shifts to 3rd and when I give it more throttle I get no response. When I give more and more throttle the rpm's finally jump up but I'm not sure if it's down shifting or what. Thought it could be just a 3rd gear issue or possibly a TC issue...but do t seem to have syn issues in 1st and 2nd.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode