seeking the Skunkworks fender flare look; opinions sought before the effort begins... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-28-2013, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
seeking the Skunkworks fender flare look; opinions sought before the effort begins...

So, I really dig the look of those two or three Skunkworks / Mopar Underground rigs like "Jeep JT" or "Lower-Forty" and, as I have been wheeling quite a bit harder ( it's a progression to more advanced trail and difficulties , to me anyway) lately and while I never rub any place since the 3" Synergy coil spring install , I ultimately plan on moving to some 36" Maxxis or IROKs as my next tire choice once the 35" STTs wear down past 33" ...
I plan on regearing this winter to 4.88s and I am thinking I'll stubbify the OEM bumper until I save enough for a Synergy front with the trail bar surround...
I have been taping-up my flares and bumper this past few weekends and mocking up the proposed trimming to steal the Mopar Underground Jeeps front fenders . In the edit photo you maybe cant tell but I would trim the rear along it's edge line ( already gutted in real life the lining)

I suppose I just want some opinions or input on what I am looking at doing.....I have the current OEM setting image beside an edited "proposed mod" version in below image .....I think it looks better . I have no solution for the turn signal lights as of now....just a jigsaw , a grinder, a soldering iron and some desire......
gimme some feedback, guys .....
thanks!

>>> EDIT HERE for URL to the comparison image I had to pull for attachment space requirements of another post made me have to delete the initial photo in this post:

http://imgur.com/AslOceT

<<<<

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 09-29-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: edit to add URL of delete attchment to comply with space availability
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-28-2013, 05:51 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I have no idea what you are talking about... but if you are interested in trimming your factory flares.. go for it. I trimmed mine three years ago as a temporrary mod and still rock them !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 11 Old 09-28-2013, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about... but if you are interested in trimming your factory flares.. go for it. I trimmed mine three years ago as a temporrary mod and still rock them !
it seems I fail miserably at getting my point across when using a forum ,lol.
I am familiar with trimming but specifically want the look of several Jeep concept vehicle fenders like these ...
http://imgur.com/DjtAJ6O.jpg
http://imgur.com/J7V5kwh
http://imgur.com/CH3bpTu

just wanting to see if they look too subtle for the effort required ...thanks for input

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 05:00 AM
JKO Addict!

They definetly look better in the second shot imo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #5 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 05:21 AM
Wheeler

If you're looking to get the look of the pictures flares you'll have to get around the side markers. you won't be able to get that flat look with those lights in the way.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 06:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yep I think you nailed it. Probably have to fill the chunk of light hole that will be left. As for keeping a side marker, the little rectangular trailer light tucked up in there looks good to me.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

I'm using these for my marker:

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/LED-Tur.../41-02-075.htm

I say go-for it! If you don't like how they come out, getting another set of fenders is easy, as many just throw them away when upgrading.

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #8 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
They definetly look better in the second shot imo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
thanks for the feedback; I am gonna do it. I "slept on it" and like them better that way.

post #9 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
Yep I think you nailed it. Probably have to fill the chunk of light hole that will be left. As for keeping a side marker, the little rectangular trailer light tucked up in there looks good to me.
I am going to go just a tad-bit higher than the concept Jeeps; Like, RIGHT on edge of top of the turn indication light. I appreciate all your feedback; that is what I sought.....

post #10 of 11 Old 10-01-2013, 10:41 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Run a line of tape and step back and check it out, adjust accordingly til you have the desired look, that way you can get a pretty good idea with the tape of what the end result will be.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #11 of 11 Old 11-02-2013, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
Run a line of tape and step back and check it out, adjust accordingly til you have the desired look, that way you can get a pretty good idea with the tape of what the end result will be.
ive done so three times; I have even used built up dust and wiped off the part that would be the cut after measuring it and still think they (Mopar)are using some mold that excludes the turn indicator because where the light assembly is is right where they have a critical turn down angle and if I match it perfectly there would be a semi circle it that spot. It is hard to explain and to be honest, if ya check my images, these 35" ( now after 8,000 miles more like 34") stuff right up into my wheel ( Thanks to PIG's and other member suggestions, I have my bumpstops perfect right now) well without the slightest touch of front fender. The only time I get ANY rub is at max stuff with front hard turned to full ; the front right will slightly meet the front bumper wing so it is getting hacked today*.

(*stubbified)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode