wobble but not death..maybe - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-24-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

wobble but not death..maybe

So when I apply brakes, I get a bad almost violent wobble. This does not happen all the time and I can not come up with a pattern.

Did not happen before I moved to 35s and 1.5" wheel spacers. I don't recall it doing it right after the move either.

I have determined that the yoke on my front drive shaft is going out and I am going to replace it as soon as I can, my question is.. could that cause the wobble or do I have a second issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Wheeler

Most of the time a shake in the wheel while applying the brakes (especially at higher speeds) is a sign of warped brake rotors.

2007 2 Door JEEP Green
Teraflex 2.5" Coil-35" Toyo M/T-ACE Sliders-Smittybilt 8K-Rigid Duallies-Ridler-Spidertrax
post #3 of 9 Old 09-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Granite Guru

A violent wobble will damage components creating death wobble so get it fixed really soon.

If it was already death wobble then taking your foot off the brakes shouldn't stop it. If it's a warped rotor the shaking would stop when you took your foot off.

Regarding your front drive shaft, I think you can just remove it. I would guess though if the drive shaft had issues it would be a problem all the time and not just breaking.

For fairness sake, I tried a hundred different ways to fix mine when it got death wobble and ended up wanting to burn my jeep to the ground. I ended up at 4wp and following their managers advice got my issues resolved for the last 30k knock on wood.

Last edited by Hitchhiker; 09-24-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-24-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yea, it doesn't stop when I take my foot off...and I definitely want ti burn it to the ground. I don't get why it just all of the sudden started.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-25-2013, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

so after reading a lot of posts on here, I am guessing what I have is actually the death wobble. Going to go home tonight and check bolts and make sure everything is torqued down tonight...maybe it is something easy like that.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Wheeler

Check and make sure that the plastic factory rotor retainer clips are off, then check your ball joints, if your spacers cant seat right then they will work loose after the retainer clips heat up and melt. If YOU removed them then check you bjs. Dont trust that someone else removed the clips...check for yourself. It happend to me. If you dont have an aftermarket adjustable track bar get one. The factory ones flex and the bushings are garb!

"WARRIOR"
post #7 of 9 Old 09-30-2013, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

My spacers have a cut out for those retainer clips also.

So stupid question, on removing the track bar, do I need to do that with the JK on the ground or jack it up? I would think with it on the ground, but just wanted to make sure.

This is such an annoying problem to try and fix.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-30-2013, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

track bar bolts have been upgraded and upon inspection it does look like the holes have become a little out of round. I have found that a few companies make reinforcement brackets for the top drivers side to correct this issue, however I can't seem to find one for the bottom/passengers side that does the same thing.

Suggestions??
post #9 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 03:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkyjku View Post
track bar bolts have been upgraded and upon inspection it does look like the holes have become a little out of round. I have found that a few companies make reinforcement brackets for the top drivers side to correct this issue, however I can't seem to find one for the bottom/passengers side that does the same thing.

Suggestions??
You can weld washers for a temp fix. Not sure if there's a bolt on axle bracket that keeps the factory TB height. Check ARTEC. You might have to cut and replace it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode