REI, Politics and Public Lands - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: Will you continue to shop at REI?
No 26 96.30%
Yes 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

REI, Politics and Public Lands

Word on the street is that REI gives a ton of money, to groups that really don't like what most of us do. Seems that the Federal Government, the Sierra Club and the like, would really like to see all off pavement trails closed to all motorized vehicles. Recently, the CEO of REI was made Interior Secretary, nominated by President Obama. This puts her in charge of National Park Service, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management. I've personally watched as more and more trails have been closed over the last ten years. The Federal government is spending millions of dollars to close trails that have been open for a very long time. I'm not just propagating anti-government paranoia hear. I've witnessed enough of this to believe what many are writing about on the internet. If you care see for yourself, drive Main Divide Road in Southern California. I can't imagine the cost to erect such great lengths of steel railing that closes off trails that have been there for decades. The BLM has taken over millions of acres of land in the last 15 years and is closing much of it off.

Why don't we see REI offering any motorized overlanding specific products? I enjoy dispersed camping. I'm concluding that they don't like what I do.

So what can be done?
REI, is a coop. They are owned by it's members. They spend money to support politics that I do not agree with. I'm no longer shopping there and am choosing to buy products from companies which are either not politically affiliated and or sell overland products. I'm going to support those who support me. I feel like the dollar is the strongest vote that I have.

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Rock God

I stopped shopping there over 10 years ago. They have always opposed motorized off-road use of any kind and I will not support those businesses if at all possible.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Granite Guru

^^^^^ pretty much what he said. I encourage people here to go to the land use section of pirate4x4.com to really get the low down on whats going on with our land. Its being taken away one trail at a time. F! REI and the Sierra Club.

Its not a fashion show

Last edited by Fueler; 06-24-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

Well I wish I knew this before I joined them. Won't spend another dime there though. Any recommendations on an alternate. The more direct competition to Rei the better as far as I'm concerned.

Unspoilt by progress.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-26-2013, 12:14 PM
JKO Addict!

About the only time I go to REI is when someone gives us one of their gift certificates.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #6 of 10 Old 06-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlyswine View Post
Well I wish I knew this before I joined them. Won't spend another dime there though. Any recommendations on an alternate. The more direct competition to Rei the better as far as I'm concerned.
Cabelas/ bass pro shops would be the best place to shop for camping gear and what not.

Fuck REI and the Sierra club can kiss my ASS
post #7 of 10 Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Rock God

I do my best to not support any company that is anti-offroad...I will hit the net and search if I am buying something I am not familiar with...I do not shop at REI...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, John 3:16
post #8 of 10 Old 08-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Granite Guru

I don't know who they think they are , like so many that think their way is the only way .I bought an REI membership card when they first opened there doors and I will NEVER shop there again . I even went to there facebook page and told them so .
post #9 of 10 Old 08-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Rock God

Garage

Mountain Equipment Co-op (Mec) does the same, as does Redwing Shoes/boots.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Granite Guru

I have never shopped there and probably won't. I am not a fan of the sierra club and i am an avid outdoors person and not just in my Jeep. The sierra club is crazy, much like PETA. I understand there are things that need to be preserved and there needs to be rules in place because of idiots but they take it to an entirely different level.

On another side note, REI house brand stuff sucks and their prices are pretty much straight MSRP and better prices can be found pretty easily on everything they carry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode