Worried About the Rubicon Trail - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-25-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Worried About the Rubicon Trail

IS GOVERNMENT LISTENING TO THE USERS?

I left my leadership position in Friends of the Rubicon (FOTR) and the Rubicon Trail Foundation (RTF) a few years back, thinking that we had laid a positive foundation to continue these incredible efforts to keep the Rubicon Trail open to all of us...all year; for all types of rigs; with challenges for us all.

NOT THE CASE!!!

I am sorely disappointed in the way the trail has changed in the last few years, and I am not afraid to step up and say that government is NOT listening to the users. Not in this case. Something is wrong and we need to bring some slap down on the deaf ones who "govern" our use of public lands in the case of the Rubicon Trail.

From the blowing of the Gatekeeper, conducted like an ambush in war, unbeknownst to users and unspoken in public forums beforehand; to the resizing and near paving of Little Sluice in spite of comprehensive surveys and public input against such maneuvers behind the scenes; to the changing and possible closure of Soup (Bowl, Kitchen). It is NOT what the users have asked for and have said in public forum. Government is NOT listening.

And do we have some of our own supporting these insidious, sneaky, behind the scenes moves? I'm not sure; but I am sure that the folks I talk to, do NOT support these radical changes to the Rubicon Trail.

Oh, let's ask ourselves who has invested tens of thousand of hours in hard work, sweat, blood and back-breaking work in making this trail a trail for all? Friends of the Rubicon (FOTR), that is who. Since the first work party in the summer of 2001, and hundreds of work parties since then, every summer....FOTR has earned the key to this trail. Why does Government think they know best on this one?

FOTR earned tens of thousands of dollars in grant money for government agencies to help us manage the trail, maintain the trail, and mitigate the issues with erosion and use. So why would not government LISTEN to the users in how the trail should look in the future? YOU GOT ME.

Here's my suggestion for you if this does not wrap your winch the right way: 1) make sure your membership is current in fighting outfits like BlueRibbon Coalition and Cal4wheel; 2) make sure you're participating in Google groups for FOTR with your voice being heard; and 3) donate to those groups fighting for access THE RIGHT WAY, for you.
More on BRC here at http://www.sharetrails.org
More on Cal4 here at http://www.cal4wheel.com
More on Del at http://www.delalbright.com

Whatever you do; do NOT let your voice go unheard. Back it with donations and memberships. Be in the game. It is OUR public lands we are talking about.
Del

Del Albright
Ambassador,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(BRC)
Founder, Friends of the Rubicon (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Del's
and

Building an Access Army to Save Trails -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-26-2012, 06:59 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Thank you for chiming in on this Del.

And to clarify, are you suggesting that the RTF not be supported with our efforts?
post #3 of 9 Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I want folks to form their own opinions about who to support (or not), after doing the homework, research and question asking. There are mixed feelings about any group out there nowadays...sad to say.

One thing I WILL say, out loud and to anyone that will listen, Friends of the Rubicon (FOTR) is one group we should all support, encourage and say thank you to. And had it not been for BlueRibbon Coalition (http://www.sharetrails.org), I would not have been able to do my part to build FOTR. BRC rocks. FOTR moves rocks and mountains!

Del

Del Albright
Ambassador,
(BRC)
Founder, Friends of the Rubicon (
)
Del's
and

Building an Access Army to Save Trails -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Rock God

Well Del - I didn't know that this piece originated on JKO. I picked it up from the re-post over on Pirate.

I agree with the premise set forth in your thoughts and have been pondering ways to take appropriate action in 2013 and beyond. It is a prickly situation and I know that you know that too. How to de-construct and re-establish user influence now and for the future of the trail. I think the fox needs to be shown the door of the hen-house, and hopefully, he has the wisdom to take it, before irreparable damage to an important unity is done.

The Nor Cal users here are quite active on the trail but, not in the trenches or the politics. I am going to see if I can help change that up a bit.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I know how frustrated you must feel.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-04-2012, 06:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks Del!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #6 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 AM
'merica

Thanks for sharing Del.

Sent from Skynet

U.S. Army

KJ6OIT
post #7 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 10:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks! But in everything that i have read about all of this, I am not sure who are the good or bad guys over there! What a mess! Sad.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 08:18 AM
JKO Addict!

^^^^ Simply put. The bad guys: Wheelers who don't give a shit about anything other than themselves. Anyone using environmental tactics to alter or close the trail.

The good guy: Folks who have worked hard in the political process to keep the trail open. Folks who work to clean up the trail from above mentioned selfish users, Folks who donate to active organizations that fight for access. The many users of the trail who do care and take responsibility for themselves and others by packing out more than they brought in.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 08:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Worried About the Rubicon Trail

Things that happen like to the trail only happen for $$$ reasons period. Hardly ever for preservation or safety wtc. Look at Telico. Enough said. Their timing was just a little off with the economy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode