The Truth About Hatteras - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 09-05-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The Truth About Hatteras

Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreation Area. I ask that you take 20 minutes and look at the effect the Environmentalist closures are having on the residents of Hatteras Island. It is moving.

Same video in three formats. Facebook is getting bogged down due to bandwidth and hits. Comments are welcome. Your support in spreading the information, and supporting Beach Access, for all people, is even more welcome.

YouTube - Piping Mad: Fair People at the Mercy of a Government Gone Fowl - Part 1

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....7982139&ref=mf

Please go to these sites to join and voice your support:

http://obpa-nc.org/joomla/
http://ncbbaonline.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Garage

Wow... I had no idea this was going on.

THANK YOU for the post!

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
post #3 of 25 Old 09-07-2010, 05:25 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Holey Shit! I'll pass along the info.

In Sincere Aiki Spirt,

AikiJuan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 09-07-2010, 06:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I grew up in NC and going to these beaches and I hate to see this happening to them. Are the beaches closed year round or just certain times? What percentage of of them are closed and are they denying access to all vehicles and shore fishermen?

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣

Last edited by HOOLIGAN; 09-07-2010 at 06:25 AM.
post #5 of 25 Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Granite Guru

We were down in Avon (on Hatteras Island) in July/August for a week. I was absolutely APPALLED!!!! by the flagrant intent of the envionmentalists to shut down ALL access to the beaches, and in effect paralyze the economy and livelihood of the fine people who have inhabited that island for generations.

I am a member of UFWDA, believe fervently in the Tread Lightly program, and believe also that when the turtles are nesting, then you stay away from them and leave them alone............ but to completely close every beach is B U L L S H I T ! ! ! ! !

Upon returning home to Virginia I paid for membership in the Outer Banks Preservation Association, and donated money to assist the locals there to fight the battle that has been waged against them. I urge each and every one of you to do the same..............it is only a matter of time before these people will come after you and close the areas that you go for your off-roading recreation.

Rant over..........for now

If you're gonna be fucking weird, own it.

~SoCo
______
post #6 of 25 Old 09-12-2010, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
I grew up in NC and going to these beaches and I hate to see this happening to them. Are the beaches closed year round or just certain times? What percentage of of them are closed and are they denying access to all vehicles and shore fishermen?
Scooter - sorry for the delay in responding. Perspective:

During peak season (May-Aug), the Points and spits are closed to all human access - this is Oregon Inlet, Cape Point, Hatteras Inlet, north Ocracoke and Ocracoke Inlet. This is due to nesting shorebirds that are neither endangered, nor threatened. This year at the peak of the closure of approximately 60% of the approximately 70 miles of beach supported 9 pairs of piping plover, and other common colonial waterfowl. Meanwhile, hundreds of these species nested off-island on the Hatteras Inlet dredge spoil habitat - but these don't count since they were not in the NPS-responsible area.

The closures for active birds nests are 1000meters in diameter - 6/10ths of a mile in each direction. This far exceeds the recommended 200meter buffer by US Fish and Wildlife, the State of NC. It is implemented regardless of any special circumstance, or whether it is a plover or any other waterbird. It exceeds EVERY buffer distance used in the USA by at least 5X.

Offseason, the "wintering habitat" closes Oregon Inlet and Hatteras Inlet spits, although ZERO birds of concern have been documented as overwintering there in the last 6 years.

The net effect is it closes prime fishing grounds for the prime season, and much of the offseason. I hope this has helped in understanding the conditions and impacts of this mess here on island.

This is not about the birds. It is about the people. And, it is wrong.

Thanks for everyone's support. I realize we have battles at every turn, at every ORV area. This one is urgent and important, and not too late (hopefully).
post #7 of 25 Old 09-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Rock God

VOTE VOTE VOTE GET INVOLVED
post #8 of 25 Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Rock God

just watched the video, WTF Thats just nuts. This country is going to shit, seems like we have no rights any more.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #9 of 25 Old 09-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

Hloy S#$!..........Kinda sound familiar. Hang tough Folks...........

Method Motorsports

Email:
post #10 of 25 Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Please do not sit idly by. We have, and are, partnering with groups throughout the US in mutual support. From Massachusetts, New Jersey down through Florida. West to Arizona and California, we are hearing and receiving great support, returned in kind. This is not "just" an ORV issue, it is a prohibition of ALL human access.

For those on CALO and the Core Banks, you are next. It has been stated by the Park Service/DOI that this is the model that will be used as they move south through the barrier islands. Similar stories may be told unless we act, together.

Please join/contribute to the groups listed at the end of the video, as well as your local clubs and groups. We just lost the Critical Habitat case, after prevailing since 2003. Judges legislating from the bench, bought and paid for by the environmentalists, are having a seriously detrimental affect on public access to public lands.

I realize I am preaching to the choir here - but we have been silent or apathetic for too long. They are coming for you, next.

Thanks very much for the responses and support. Feel free to post up any additional areas where we can establish a cooperative Free&Open Access relationship.

Last edited by hatterasnc; 09-13-2010 at 03:24 PM.
post #11 of 25 Old 09-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Wheeler

As a lifetime supporter/ enthusiast/ and community member there I become so furious thinking about all this and have been for a long time.

As many have said if 1 bird can be a reason here then any 1 thing can be a reason somewhere else.

But the issue is deeper than just closing ORV access,that right helps stimulate OBX and the American economy. It supports schools, community, and programs in that area.

What happens when beach seasons over??? Fisherman flock down there staying in hotels, eating at resturaunts, buying gear and gas, etc.. to fish. If WE are not able to fish how are those business to survive . Please support this cause

2007 JK Unlimited Rubi
too much to list
post #12 of 25 Old 09-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Ipe
Rock God

I've been supporting this fight since I first heard about it well over a year ago. It makes me sick to see what our government is doing.

Hit - can this post be cross posted or moved to chit-chat? More people need to see this.

post #13 of 25 Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

WOW!!! That is so crazy.. I hate the Government.. A bird is more important then the lives of US Citizens.. Amazing..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #14 of 25 Old 09-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Rock God

The idiots don't realize that driving on the beach in those areas is safer for the birds because it keep foot trafffic away from the areas where the birds nest.
But Bureaucrats only know how to think in binary mode. They only deal with "worst case" total disaster and then declare the only way to avoid disaster is is total shut down.
They do this in national forests too. Some boys were lost for a few days. A helicopter searcher found them but was denied clearance to land and pick up the boys because of a federal ban on all mechanized travel in that area. The boys had to suffer another night a wait until a crew could hike in the the next day.
Closer of areas is responsible for the increase in disaterous wild fires. But managed use reduces wild fires by substantial numbers because dead wood and excess under growth is removed thus reducing fuel for wild fires and increasing fresh growth.
post #15 of 25 Old 09-15-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgutz View Post
The idiots don't realize that driving on the beach in those areas is safer for the birds because it keep foot trafffic away from the areas where the birds nest.
gutz - you hit one of the cornerstones directly on the head. The closed areas, without human recreation (pedestrians or ORVs), have become overgrown with invasive plants. This is unsuitable habitat for the birds, who require a clean beach for nesting. The growth of invasive plants drives them closer to the water and provides cover for their predators. This results in greater nest losses due to minor northeaster overwash and predation.

It also purposefully(?) creates greater conflicts between human uses of the shoreline and the nests, resulting in greater cumulative closures.

The Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreation Area is being completely mismanaged by decree of a judge and the assault of the environmentalists. NPS is helpless, and not helping.
post #16 of 25 Old 09-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Wheeler

Dont forget the fact that predators like the fox have killed more birds than vehicles since the fox can run free without vehicles.

I even heard that their hiring shooters to kill the fox's. So to protect a bird we will kill another animal!

2007 JK Unlimited Rubi
too much to list
post #17 of 25 Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB View Post
Dont forget the fact that predators like the fox have killed more birds than vehicles since the fox can run free without vehicles.

I even heard that their hiring shooters to kill the fox's. So to protect a bird we will kill another animal!

Start here:

The mammals targeted for annihilation include Raccoon, Otter,
Fox, Mink, Opossum, Muskrat and Nutria.
Over 700 of these innocent mammals have been killed since
2002. This does not include the death toll for 2009, which has
not yet been released by the National Park Service.

This also does not count the goose and gull count, since they are classified as nuisance and/or predators. In the Pea Island National Wildlife REFUGE, a separate place set apart just for birds at the north end of the island, they have trapped and gassed (using automobile emissions) hundreds of resident geese.

Then here:

http://www.preservebeachaccess.org/l.../comments.html

Your concern and help is greatly appreciated.
post #18 of 25 Old 09-17-2010, 06:19 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm afraid there's going to be a shooting revolution sooner than we may like to believe. The people have had enough and the spark to the whole thing will probably be some judge overstepping his/her bounds.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #19 of 25 Old 09-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Granite Guru

This shit has been happenin in California for decades....once they have total control, good luck getting it back!
post #20 of 25 Old 09-25-2010, 02:28 AM
Rock God

Wow! This is terrible, I felt sick to my stomach watching this. I'm not big into politics but I know this, by the time our kids have kids they will be told when they can drink, pee, eat, etc. I never knew this was going on down there.

White 2012 Sahara, Switchblade rear bumper, 5 35" mud grapplers sitting in my spare bedroom waiting on my lift.
post #21 of 25 Old 09-25-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

To all

Just got in from the North Carolina Beach Buggy Association (NCBBA) Operation Beach Respect. We cleaned up tons of trash and distributed trash bags and Beach Access information to all visitors at all beach access ramps all morning. One constant question was, "Have the environmental groups ever joined you in this?" The answer is No. They are not here, except for a few days a year for birder viewing events (admission $$ required). Getting their birkenstocks dirty is not well suited for the boardroom. They are experts from afar.
Yes, this sucks.
And we can watch it and say it sucks.
And complain about it on a message board.
Or, we can DO something about it.
Please help us. I attended the NCBBA Board Meeting this afternoon, and we have financial and physical help coming from the New Jersey BBA, United Mobile Access Preservation Alliance, and others.
Please go back and look at the video. Seek out the orgs that are called out at the end, and in my post.
Please help us.
Momentum is building.
post #22 of 25 Old 09-26-2010, 04:52 AM
Granite Guru

They also dont want you to drive on the dunes because of the grass, protect the environment, right
The dunes are man made with wind row fences.
The only thing i can think of would to help with storms but that would only work near homes

37s on Raceline Beadlocks 5.38 Yukon Gears
post #23 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Granite Guru

Looks like theTern & Plover is the new baby seal.

That's the avenue they use here for beach closures (humans & all)
Every year the seasonal closure gets bigger & bigger.
Don't mind the Federal preserve that's 4x times the size of the OHV accesible beach.

In our area these guys have been fighting the good fight:
www.oceanodunes.org
You might swap notes with the guys leading the charge.

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #24 of 25 Old 10-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Rock God

I borrowed this from stripersonline, a forum here on Long Island NY where the birds are always closing beaches...

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=386135

DEEP DISH PIPING PLOVER POT PIE

2 ¼ cups plover broth, defatted
3 cups cooked and chopped plover breast (probably have to kill a whole nest just to get this much scrawny meat...)

½ cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped onions
2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoon cornstarch
1 ¾ cups evaporated skim milk
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
¼ cup snipped fresh parsley
½ teaspoon dried sage
3 sheets fat-free phyllo dough

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a saucepan, combine 2 cups of the broth, the celery, onions, and carrots. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer roughly 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

In a large measuring cup, stir together the remaining ¼ of broth and the cornstarch until smooth. Slowly stir the cornstarch mixture into the broth-vegetable mixture. Then stir in the milk.

Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Then stir in the plover meat, peas, parsley, and sage. Transfer the mixture to a shallow 2 quart casserole.

Lay one sheet of the phyllo dough on top of the plover mixture you just created. Spray the dough with no-stick spray. Repeat layering and spraying the phyllo two more times. Fold or crumple the edges of the dough and tuck them inside the casserole dish.

Bake 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Enjoy with a

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #25 of 25 Old 12-20-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

This one's long, bear with me...good news!

After much preparation, three things have come together, and there is more to come.
(1) Fox News aired a segment this morning, albeit brief, regarding the unreasonable closures on Hatteras Island. A feature-length special edition is to follow - previewed in the Piping Mad video presented earlier.
(2) The State of North Carolina is in a position to move forward on replacing the Bonner Bridge, a vital Public Safety lifeline to the Island, which is 17 years overdue for replacement and has an overall safety rating of 2/100.
(3) The NPS has issued their Record of Decision (ROD) promoting Alternative F, with restrictive closures unsubstatiated by science, for their final Management Plan for Public Access.

Please see the information below:

http://ncbbaonline.com/forums.html

under the Beach Access and Legislation Forum.

Respectfully request that this be shared with folks that may share the same point of view regarding Public access to public lands, the urgent need for the bridge and the vital need to be involved in the Final Plan.

And let your appreciation be known for those that have been working tirelessly for Access to our Public Lands.

Thank You Mr. Couch, the OBPA and the Honorable Kay Hagan.

Join the NCBBA, OBPA, and support CHAPA, and Leadership organizations such as CHAC and supporting organizations such as NJBBA.

Let your voice be known and heard. The tide is turning.

Last edited by hatterasnc; 12-20-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode