Johnson Valley Update!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-20-2008, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep
Johnson Valley Update!!!

Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center (MCAGCC) located in Twentynine Palms, CA has submitted a withdrawal application to the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to essentially put a hold on 422,000 acres while it studies those areas for possible acquisition into the base.

A large portion of the Johnson Valley OHV area is being considered. Johnson Valley OHV area is approximately 189,000 acres and is located in the high desert of California, just east of Los Angeles. The area is a Mecca for off-road recreation and is home to many events including off-road racing and competitive rock crawling.

For the past six months the OHV community has been aware that the Marines are studying this area for possible expansion. As a result, a small working group of OHV leaders has been working with the Marines to help them understand just how important this area is to the Southern California OHV community. It is the largest open OHV area in the country, and home to a myriad of competition events such as motorcycle races, 2- and 4-wheel drive off-road races and extreme rock crawling events. Jerry Grabow, President of the American Motorcyclist Association District 37, Off-Road, stated "Over half of our race program occurs on land within the Johnson Valley OHV Area. We have been racing in this area for over 50 years; there is simply not another open area large enough to hold these types of races."

The withdrawal application the Marines submitted requires that the BLM prepare a "Notice of Proposed Withdrawal and Opportunity for Public Meeting." When this notice is published in the Federal Register it starts a 90-day public comment period and segregates the public land identified in the application for two years. Uses that are currently allowed in the area will continue, but no new uses or projects will be permitted. "We are hopeful that another solution or compromise can be found that fulfills the training needs of the Marines while still allowing OHV recreation to continue in this area treasured by so many off-road enthusiasts," stated Meg Grossglass, ORBA Land Use staff member.

08 Rubicon Unlimited-Just about stock!
I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money... You keep "The Change"!
Ask me about SH!TTY companies like Full Traction, Pure Jeep, and others!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-21-2008, 07:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the info!

HUNDY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #3 of 7 Old 12-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Rock God

We are in desperate need of attendees at the below mentioned meetings. Last nights meeting didnt have near the number of attendees we needed to show how serious we are about saving Johnson Valley .

If you are able to show up, your presence would be greatly appreciated.

Help Save Johnson Valley!

Attend A Public Scoping Meeting on Proposed Marine Base Expansion

Working together everyone can help save Johnson Valley . However, your participation in the public decision making process is critical. You can help save Johnson Valley by attending one of the three Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Base expansion scoping meetings. Just walking through the door of one of the meetings to ask questions and gather information sends a loud and powerful message that the future use of Johnson Valley by the public is important to you!

Meeting Dates

December 3, 2008, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Twentynine Palms, CA (Twentynine Palms Junior High, Hays Gym, 5798 Utah Trail, Twentynine Palms, CA)

December 4, 2008, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Victorville, CA (Hilton Garden Inn Victorville, 12603 Mariposa Road, Victorville, CA)

December 5, 2008, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Ontario, CA (Convention Center, 2000 E. Convention Center Way, Ontario, CA)

The Marine Corps is studying it's needs to meet the Marine Corps Expeditionary Brigade (MEB) sustained, combined arms, live-fire and maneuver training requirements. The scoping meetings are designed to solicit input from stakeholders, the affected public and agencies regarding issues or interests that should be studied or the reasonable alternatives that should be considered for the study moving forward. Each of the three scoping meetings will consist of an informal, open house session with information stations staffed by Marine Corps representatives. Public comment forms will be available and gathered at the information stations, and a stenographer will be available to take oral comments for inclusion in the record.

At this time the Marine Corps is studying five potential base expansion alternatives and a No Action Alternative. These study alternatives include:

Alternatives 1 & 4 Add 188,000 acres West of the base and 22,000 acres South of the base. These alternatives effectively include expansion in to all of the Johnson Valley OHV-Multiple Use Area. Training movements and live-fire exercises differ between Alternative 1 and 4.

Alternative 2 Add 122,000 acres West of the base and 22,000 acres South of the base. This alternative includes most of the Johnson Valley OHV-Multiple Use Area.

Alternative 3 Add 228,000 acres East of the base and 22,000 acres South of the base. This alternative does not include expansion into Johnson Valley .

Alternative 5 Add 188,000 acres West of the base only ( Johnson Valley ).

No Action Alternative Marine Corps will seek no additional lands, MEB exercises would occur on existing base.

Take Action Now Attend at least one public scoping meeting and encourage your family and friends to do the same, and pass along this information to others you think are interested in Johnson Valley s future. Visit the Partnership For Johnson Valley at www.pfjv.org for additional information and the latest updates.

Current Mods:
  1. Cleghorn tailpipe mod
  2. Cleghorn side step ventilation with Gold Mtn. enhancement
  3. Heartbreak Ridge bumper scuffs
  4. Goler gas tank skid mod
  5. Miscellaneous pin striping
  6. Woods evap cannister relocate (Wow, an intentional mod!)
  7. 2"BB and swapped in stock Rubi coils and shocks (thanks Seth!)
  8. Calico fender realignment and texturing
  9. Calico "explodey the side step" ez removal kit
  10. Stock Rubicon rails courtesy of JackTuttle (Thanks Jack!)
  11. Solid Axle dif covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Rock God

not to be a dikc here, but do you really need 198,000 acres all for an OHV park?
post #5 of 7 Old 12-05-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnaught6 View Post
not to be a dikc here, but do you really need 198,000 acres all for an OHV park?
you give an inch and they take a mile

see what happens around here is they take all the land that gives access to the areas that are LEGAL. making it impossible to get to the free land...

08 Rubicon Unlimited-Just about stock!
I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money... You keep "The Change"!
Ask me about SH!TTY companies like Full Traction, Pure Jeep, and others!
post #6 of 7 Old 12-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnaught6 View Post
In California, the Gubment in one form or another (state, blm, military, feds whatever) have been steadily closing hundreds of thousands of acres of public lands for many years. Without passing judgment on whether the Marines actually need more room, (I will leave that to the experts) many out here view this as just another land grab. Take out a map of Southern California and you can see how much has been closed off.

Current Mods:
  1. Cleghorn tailpipe mod
  2. Cleghorn side step ventilation with Gold Mtn. enhancement
  3. Heartbreak Ridge bumper scuffs
  4. Goler gas tank skid mod
  5. Miscellaneous pin striping
  6. Woods evap cannister relocate (Wow, an intentional mod!)
  7. 2"BB and swapped in stock Rubi coils and shocks (thanks Seth!)
  8. Calico fender realignment and texturing
  9. Calico "explodey the side step" ez removal kit
  10. Stock Rubicon rails courtesy of JackTuttle (Thanks Jack!)
  11. Solid Axle dif covers
post #7 of 7 Old 01-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Rock God

Johnson Valley Shut Down

I don't ever, ever, pass things along because they're annoying and I'm lazy, but....... This is important and, as I can see, others are aware of, and care about this also.

I got this from the My Jeep Rocks guys today (Jan 21, 2009):
As many of you know (and hopefully by now many of you have already signed or sang hehe), Johnson Valley OHV is being seriously considered by the US Marine Corps as their new training area. The public scoping meetings and studies have been completed. The Public Comment period ends on January 31st, 2009.

Five of the options that were offered took all or a portion of Johnson Valley, the sixth was to do nothing at all (which is unlikely).

Based upon Brad Mitzelfelts letter to Dianne Feinsteins office, we have drafted a new more specific petition that outlines an option that would de-designate a portion of wilderness area that is acceptable to the Marines. The wilderness area in question is not considered quality wilderness area, AND has already been used for military training in the past.

We need the public's support for the Marines to even CONSIDER this option.

It is imperative that you read and sign, including your email and mailing addresses. Upon the end of the comment period, this petition will be submitted initially to the Marines, and then we will forward the signatures and addresses to each local legislator.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS LINK TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW WITH AN INTEREST IN SAVING OUR PUBLIC LANDS.

http://www.ipetitio ns.com/petition/ SaveJohnsonValle y-SpecificPlan

Thank you for your time and support! ~

~Richard & The Goddess~
Current Mods: 2.5 BB Teraflex Lift, 35" Nittos, 16"X8" MB Wheels, On-Board Air, Flo Master Exhaust, Power Inverter (800w), Evap Canister Relocation, WOODS S. S. relocation bracket, WOODS Rear Axle, Mopar Hitch, CB, Happy Bunny mud flaps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode