Carnegie SVRA stays open - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 03-27-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Carnegie SVRA stays open

I don't know why this isn't being more widely posted so decided to take a moment to do it myself. (Don Amador followed it http://thegeneralsrecreationden.blogspot.com/)

Here in California, Carnegie SVRA was under threat of closure from the environazi California Sportfishing Protection Alliance and Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility. Alameda County Superior Court judge Frank Roesch, who is known for his judicial activism, wrongly (but expected) ruled in favor of the groups in December.

The California's Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Commission with the help of the AG's office appealed. A stay on Judge Roesch's closure order was granted.

The 1st Appellate court gave its ruling about a week ago - throwing out the order of Judge Roesch and awards court costs to the California Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation division. It will be interesting to see if OHMVR requests any costs from the groups. I hope someone files a action if OHMVR does not request costs since it is taxpayer money that was wasted.

IMO, this was a rather obvious attempt to do a end around the California Water Board to gain a legal foothold that could be used in the Rubicon Trail dispute and elsewhere. The environazi law firm that helped conceive it, Lozeau Drury LLP, should have been sanctioned - but politics being what they are in California, perhaps the award of costs should be enough to send warning shot across their bow.

The court's opinion can be read here:
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/nonpub/A127134.PDF
http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.g...doc_id=1929498

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-29-2010, 01:05 PM
JKO Addict!

I was actually at Carnegie on Saturday. They have been doing some upgrade work on the 4x4 play area. Mud pit has been completley dug out and refilled (no more rocks or boulders) and the sand pit is being redone as well. The valley floor is now off limits to 4x4's but they are working to expand the 4x4 play area.

This is only a small victory right now, they are expecting several other lawsuits as well as those pending for the north 3000 acres that are still off limits to the public (they would like to open that to 4x4 use). I had a long talk with several of the rangers there and they are looking for all the voluteer help they can get right now, weather it be just maintanace or groups fighting for them. As of now, and for the near term it will be open, but the fight is not over. For those of you like me that are local we need to keep volunteering any way we can.

If anyone is interested in forming a "Friends of" type groupe for Carnegie let me know. I can get us some contact information for the Management Board there, and so far they seem extremely receptive!

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode