BLM and trail usage - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-21-2014, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

BLM and trail usage

Unfortunately, I hate to say I don't know a thing about how the BLM operates along with the various groups out there that keep our off road trails open. Being from Texas, I just don't have the first hand experience as all our land is damn near privately owned. I've been to Utah and Colorado several times and have spent lots of time on BLM land.

With that being said, I was under the assumption that the BLM was a good thing as I didn't have to go to a private off road park to wheel. Or when I hit the Alpine Loop in Colorado and climbed some 14ers and camped out on BLM land, I thought all was good.

So with the ongoing issues between the BLM and the western states fighting about property rights, where do our groups line up? If states such as Utah reclaim land from the BLM, how would that affect currently open trails?

I hope I don't sound too ignorant. Just trying to figure out what's best for our sport.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Rock God

saw your comment on sams post and didn;t want ya too feel lonely...I know a bit about land mgt

blm land use has always been one of the more liberal, meaning you can do what ya want, camp, hide, live, graze cattle, harvest trees, shoot, drive anything, hunt, rockhound. Public use limits happen when contracted users overstep and forget its still public and not just a resource cache for private business interests. IMO

Quote:
BLM MISSION STATEMENT
The Bureau of Land Management is responsible for the stewardship of our public lands. It is committed to manage, protect, and improve these lands in a manner to serve the needs of the American people for all times.
Management is based upon the principles of multiple use and sustained yield of our nation’s resources within a framework of environmental responsibility and scientific technology. These resources include recreation, rangelands, timber, minerals, watershed, fish and wildlife, wilderness, air and scenic, scientific and cultural values.
complaining that most all land in texas is private and unnaccesible is the opposite of the complaint out here, too much public land. I don't agree but that's what many say.

Last edited by Catfish; 06-17-2014 at 10:54 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-17-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for responding.

So, generally speaking, does our hobby benefit by having the BLM around, or would we be better off if states started to reclaim the land from the BLM? What side of the fence should we be on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Granite Guru

If you really want answers, go to Blue Ribbon Coalition . com and tread lightly!.com. There are many more that actually fight the fight to keep trails open but these are the best. Del Albright is leading the fight for blue ribbon and has devoted his life to the cause. Please ask there if you want real life answers.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Rock God

I think it will vary state by state AND local BLM officials. There is tons of state land in az, mostly mismanaged to provide income for schools. On state land here it's kind of a free for all as they rely on local law enforcement who generally don't like OHV users and have very few staff of their own. Most use there is restricted to roads like the NFS, unless your hunting. BLM adopts their own rules and has staff including field officials. If you play by the rules there is a lot of public open space to enjoy how you wish, some of which they designate for OHV use. I work for a county and can tell you we are not that open to OHV use on county preserves. Horses yes.....BLM lands are some of the best accessible IMO, my confidence in the state is well absolutely nil. Wheelers must work with land managers or hide from them, otherwise like you said the only place to wheel is in your buddies field. I for one don't see state takeover of federal public land as a fix.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-18-2014, 08:17 AM
Granite Guru

Sucks to see them try to take back the BLM land... I love all the BLM areas in AZ and it is 1 of the reasons I am moving back to AZ from TX.

However, I have seen people really abuse their "right" to use BLM land. The Jeep club I am in in AZ does a trail cleanup every year and the amount of trash we get out of an area of maybe 50 acres is RIDICULOUS! If people continue to use these areas as trash dumps we are going to lose the privilege to enjoy them...

Amp'd 14 JK Unlimited Rubicon | RE 2.5 Lift | RK Control Arms | Poison Spyder Brawler Bumper & Narrow Crusher Flares | JW Speaker Headlights and Tails | Vision-X LEDs | Adams Shafts | Method Mesh Wheels | 35x12.50x17 General Grabber AT2's | SuperChips FlashPaq | Pioneer 8100NEX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-22-2014, 09:44 AM
Granite Guru

Public land administration is a slippery slope sometimes....personalities do come into play, as to personal biases, SOME times. But many landuse managers, BLM and USFS to start with, are just plain good folks trying to do a job under difficult circumstances. Their mission changes with the Administration in DC it seems like. Political appointees have rule over ground pounders who deal with us in the field....making things touchy sometimes....I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's probably not fair to generalize.

We need BLM to manage many chunks of the West. We need the USFS to manage the millions of acres of Forest land. Privitization of some of the public lands may be appropriate in some areas; but public land should stay PUBLIC in my book, as much as possible and practical. Available to us all.

The BEST solution is to be part of the solution. JOIN BRC, Join your regional and state groups/associations. And read the literature from these groups. You'll have a head start on how we can all help manage our public lands the right way.
Del

Del Albright
Ambassador,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(BRC)
Founder, Friends of the Rubicon (
)
Del's
and

Building an Access Army to Save Trails -
post #8 of 12 Old 06-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Rock God

For some reason these guys (United Four Wheeel Drive Association ) get left out. Blue Ribbon and tread lightly are not the only big names in defending our rights to wheel on open public land.

http://www.ufwda.org/

The way a TRUE!! 4 wheeling club should run. and by that I mean should as in the the best interest of fighting for public lands. is.

All REAL!! offroading clubs should be apart of UFWDA and or Blue Ribbon Coalition. Then if their state has an state wide 4wd club or association it shoud be affiliated with one of the above. then to local etc....

This is just my opinion. Just bothers me when I see off-road clubs that charge for membership but that membership does not pay into the fight for public lands in any way shape or form. The club I was affiliated with in Virginia only had club dues just to solely pay for UFWDA & or Blue Ribbon coalition. that was it nothing for club profit or some dude to get money out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahreno View Post
If you really want answers, go to Blue Ribbon Coalition . com and tread lightly!.com. There are many more that actually fight the fight to keep trails open but these are the best. Del Albright is leading the fight for blue ribbon and has devoted his life to the cause. Please ask there if you want real life answers.

2014 JKU Rubicon, 2007 Superbee #692/1000, BMC Hooligan (my chopper yea it's a Rigid)
"There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit."
- Ronald Reagan 40th President of the United States (1981-1989)
post #9 of 12 Old 06-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
but public land should stay PUBLIC in my book,
yup
post #10 of 12 Old 06-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Granite Guru

azoth 99 is correct, as I said, there are many more out there to fight the battle to keep our lands open, please seek them out and donate.We go out a lot and pick up trash just on our own. We don't need to be part of a group just to do that. We also go out as a group several times a year and pick up trash in huge areas.It's a good feeling to be part of the solution and the feeling you get to be part of the big picture is great. I recently went on a site and asked if any one picks up trash while 4 wheeling and out of over 50,000,00 people looking at my post, three people remarked that they have picked up trash.It's not hard, just do it.

Last edited by dahreno; 06-23-2014 at 04:15 PM.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Rock God

The park ranger stations in Virginia wanted to know when wheeling clubs picked up on public land. They had forms that as a club we could fill out stating the day we went out wheeling and picked up trash etc... on said public land. This helped us in keeping our rights to public land for the fact that the rangers could show proof of 4WD groups helping out.

Not sure if every state or area has that but it would be something to bring up in your local area.

2014 JKU Rubicon, 2007 Superbee #692/1000, BMC Hooligan (my chopper yea it's a Rigid)
"There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit."
- Ronald Reagan 40th President of the United States (1981-1989)
post #12 of 12 Old 06-24-2014, 04:05 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Public land administration is a slippery slope sometimes

major understatement and not even being fully locked will help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode