south east PA, DE,MD,NJ anything besides rausch creek?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 11-21-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

south east PA, DE,MD,NJ anything besides rausch creek??

looking for something a little different! anything legal or even illegal! HELP I NEED MY OFF ROAD FIX...LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Rock God

I am not going to help you wheel anywhere illegal...I get frustrated that we have too few places to wheel legally, but I cannot condone wheeling illegally, that simply screws all of us....however, how about the New Jersey Pine Barrens? I know a lot of guys have gone out there....look in the trail reports section, that are lots of threads there...and its legal

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #3 of 22 Old 11-21-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i can agree with that!! ive heard of the pine barrens before but i dont know much about it. i googled it and i cant find anything! how to get there, when its open or what is needed on your jeep. Any idea, anyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Granite Guru

We usually start at the Atsion ranger station on Route 206. It's a good idea to have a recovery strap & waterproof hip boots or waders in case you get stuck! And, it's a good idea to go with a group or at least a 2nd vehicle in case you get stuck. If you go alone, DO NOT attempt any of those innocent looking puddles you will inevitably come across, they usually end up being deeper than you thought! I speak from experience... lol... Keep an eye on the Northeast section here, there are runs every couple of weeks & it's always a great group!

Boomer (aka Chris)
'07 X 2Dr, Steel Blue Metallic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.5" BB, Black wheels & 33's...
post #5 of 22 Old 11-22-2009, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

right on man thanks!
post #6 of 22 Old 11-22-2009, 08:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

JKkeebler check this out https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18672 that was yesterday a trip we did, posted in the Northeast section, down in Milleville, NJ. The Pines are also a great place, you can go alone if you stay on the larger "named" trails, a GPS is your good friend there. Like mentioned above,any "puddles" you might come across that are larger it's best to get out and check them before just running into them. As for checking it out put Atsion Lake, NJ into google earth and from there pan your screen to the east and you will see all the "safer" roads show up going into and through the Pines. Keep your eye on the Northeast section because, as mentioned, we always have something going on every month.

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
post #7 of 22 Old 11-22-2009, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

wow man this place looks amazing! i will for sure keep my out for next months ride! not many people here talk about the pine barens all they talk about is rausch creek! dont get me wrong i love that place but its getting a little old! thanks for the pics and info! take it easy
post #8 of 22 Old 11-22-2009, 03:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

No problem and any time you get the itch, just start a post in the Northeast section and see if anyone wants to head out. Usually someone is willing to head out!

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #9 of 22 Old 11-22-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

well to tell you the truth my itch cant wait....i am thinking maybe this saturday! i know its the holiday weekend and all but will see....
post #10 of 22 Old 11-22-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

hey how would i do in a stock sahara there? i dont have my lift and tires on yet, i am hoping after the new year!
post #11 of 22 Old 11-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Granite Guru

There are some cool trail oriented websites out there (if you are pretty good with search engines); and some neat books:
Chuck Wells
Backcountry Adventures
to name a couple.

for maps and help try:
www.outbackusa.com
and
www.4x4now.com
to name a couple.

Tap into State Association websites as well as national websites like East Coast 4WD Assoc., Amer. Motorcyclist Association (www.ama-cycle.org), and United FWDA (www.ufwda.org).

Del

Del Albright
Ambassador,
(BRC)
Founder, Friends of the Rubicon (
)
Del's
and

Building an Access Army to Save Trails -
post #12 of 22 Old 11-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKkeebler View Post
hey how would i do in a stock sahara there? i dont have my lift and tires on yet, i am hoping after the new year!
A stock Sahara will do fine back there. I've had mine there a few times. Just watch some of the puddles are deeper than they look or have deep ruts that you can't see.
His frame was on the mud and the tires just spinning in water took us about 2 hrs to get him out!

2008 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited (stock)

PAVED ROADS
A fine example of needless
government spending
post #13 of 22 Old 11-23-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

good deal, thanks for the heads up! dude these pics are crazy! a little funny though
post #14 of 22 Old 11-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Rock God

Quote:
good deal, thanks for the heads up! dude these pics are crazy! a little funny though
It was funny at first then wasn't so funny( after 2hrs) Now we laugh about all the time. We brought the kids and figured we do some small puddles. They were no fun tring to keep them preoccupied while we dug him out. Funny thing is he has a YJ with a 4 in lift with 33's and a winch but he wanted to see how the pathfinder was offroad. Next time he is going to use the YJ.

PAVED ROADS
government spending
post #15 of 22 Old 11-23-2009, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i think that would be a good idea...lol was his pathfinder screwed up after that?
post #16 of 22 Old 11-23-2009, 07:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to njjk08

hey keebler.. If you want to wheel the pine barrens... get on 70, 72 or 206(south of 70) and pick a trail. Just be careful if wheeling alone. You can get lost really easy out there.. Its a huge section of woods. There are no times or fee's either. the whole place is free. There are some restricted areas but you can see the signs if it is illegal. For the most part you can pass through these spots and continue to a new spot. Most of the pines is fire trails that will lead out to ghost towns, abandoned factories, bogs, etc... its a cool place to explore. Pick up a weird NJ book and you can find some of the spots back there too..

Chris.....

Building a BIGGER and BETTER Jeep
post #17 of 22 Old 11-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Rock God

Quote:
i think that would be a good idea...lol was his pathfinder screwed up after that?
Got a little muddy water on the air flow sensor. I don't know how it got past the filter and didn't do any damage to the eng. Just cleaned the sensor and it ran fine.

PAVED ROADS
government spending
post #18 of 22 Old 02-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
looking for something a little different! anything legal or even illegal! HELP I NEED MY OFF ROAD FIX...LOL
Reading Anthracite allows a limited amount of memberships annually to ride on their property. I've never been there personally but there's more info ...

http://www.readinganthracite.com/access-permits/

2013 Unlimited Rubicon - Billet Silver
2.5" Teraflex coil lift | 35" BFG AT KO2s | AEV Pintler Wheels - Onyx

post #19 of 22 Old 02-06-2010, 07:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi View Post
Reading Anthracite allows a limited amount of memberships annually to ride on their property. I've never been there personally but there's more info ...

http://www.readinganthracite.com/access-permits/
I know a member on the LOST boards that rides there. Nothing too technical but looks like fun anyway. Good scenery too.

MikeP

post #20 of 22 Old 05-23-2010, 05:37 AM
Rock God

Just watch for the Jersey Devil he will pinstripe your rig if he gets his hands on you. He got us
post #21 of 22 Old 12-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Granite Guru

also look into nea4wd.com, get involved with an active club with them and you can cooperatively ride anywhere... for a little drive there's also Mettowee Off Road park in Whitehall, NY... a little drive up 87 but new trails and scenery, some pretty challenging stuff for everyone is always a bonus! their website shows a lot of mudding because that's what they started as but now there's lots more trails...

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Ian MacKenzie

Country Fabrications
post #22 of 22 Old 05-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Wheeler

over 22,000 acres of legal riding for $125. a year

Hey, just thought I'd bring this post back up again because the coal hills of PA are such a great riding area.

Just for your information... Most of the area (coal hills) around the Pottsville area are owned by a company called Reading Anthracite Company. They own over 22,000 acres, and for $125 a year, you can buy a permit that allows you to ride on all of their land.

To get your permit, it's located at 200 Mahantongo St, Pottsville, PA, 17901 (570) 622-5150. You'll need proof of insurance and valid Registration and your drivers license. Upon payying for your permit, they will give you a parcel map with the tax id numbers you can look up online. Not sure where you are in NE PA, but I take 78 into PA and get off at the Cabelas exit and then take 61 north for about 15 miles. One of the areas is not far from where you get the permit. After the permit, take 61 south into a town called Arnots Addition (which is a very small town). Make a left onto E Hancock St and take that road east for a little bit then it turns into Burma Rd. Once it turns into Burma road, you will notice a pull off on the right side of the road that says no parking (it's a dirt, gravel are). Then you will see on the left one of the quarrys with the big huge dump trucks, directly across the street is a rock gravel road where you can pull in and park. That road goes about 1 mile or more into the woods, but we just parked off to the side near the entrance near the road. Once you unload, you can take the gravel dirt road which is really wide down to the track and then get access to miles of fire road trails (which I haven't explored yet). Or you can cross Burma road and go into quarry, but stay to the left cause they don't wont you riding near where they are actively mining. From there you continue north on the trails, going around the quarry and behind a home depot, and a smaller trail will take you up the mountian to the power lines (which where we road).

So you basically can ride about 4 miles north till you hit 81 on your 4 wheeler, and about 4-5 miles east of the home depot. There are so many trails and miles of trails to cover there as well. I want to go back there as soon as possible, but prefer to ride with someone or a group. So if you ever want to go riding with me, PM me and we can meet up on Rt 78 in PA, perhaps near where Phanton fireworks and TNT fireworks stores are off that exit. I want to especially go riding this time of season during the rainy season, because I like the mud. I saw on google maps that north of where I was riding (about maybe 1-2 miles) there are a couple of small lakes there and there must be some streams to ride in. We found one small stream, but had alot of low lying trees and logs that fell across it that made it inpassable. I have a feeling that, that stream had to feed into the lake, or feed from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode