Save Wheeling in Moab, Wilderness Bill One Step Closer... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-24-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Save Wheeling in Moab, Wilderness Bill One Step Closer...

I saw this on another board, no not THAT board, and I wanted to post it here. I know that many of you are on Pirate as well, and probably already know about this, but for those of you that do not, well...here it is...

The Chairman of the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands of the U.S. House Committee on Natural Resources has scheduled a hearing on October 1 to consider H.R. 1925, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009. This legislation -- which will ban off-highway vehicle (OHV) access to public lands to those who live and recreate in Utah -- was introduced by New York Representative Maurice Hinchey.

However, not a single Representative from Utah is supporting H.R. 1925.

Specifically, H.R. 1925 would designate more than nine million more acres as federally protected "Wilderness," and directly affect the Moab, San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock areas (to name a few) in Utah. These popular OHV areas represent some of the most important remaining OHV recreation areas in Utah, and are some of the most popular with responsible OHV riders. The proposed Wilderness designation would also make the land off limits to ATV riders, mountain bikers and horseback riders.

As, I have said, saw this on another board, and I copied and pasted...of course, it would actually have to get out of subcommittee, committee, and then pass a floor vote, and then do the same thing in the Senate. I am not saying this is about to become law, but it IS one step closer. For those of you who have not gotten involved, now would be a good time, write your elected representatives, call them, whatever...most committee chairs do not hold hearings if they are not interested in passing the bill, etc...so please, get involved before we lose much of Moab forever...

I just got to go enjoy it last summer for the first time....lets make sure we all get to next summer and for many summers after that...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-24-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I guess I freak out too fast...nobody else seems to think this is a big deal...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #3 of 11 Old 09-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Granite Guru

Yes, it is early - wait to see what comes out of committee - but keep an eye on it.

OHV will eventually come under threat with very broad strokes as the enviromental groups are continuing to make the bogus case that sediment (a.k.a. dirt) is mobilized by OHVs and destroys water habitat. I figure we have ~3 years left. Here in California, even the state run Carnegie SVRA (State Vehicular Recreation Area) is under attack for sediment even though there is no water - the creek is dry for years but the theory is it will become wet and move sediment somewhere in the future - therefore it is under the Clean Water Act.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1925
H.R. 1925:
2009-2010 America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009
Sponsor: Rep. Maurice Hinchey [D-NY22] (+136 co-sponsors)
This bill is in the first step in the legislative process. Introduced bills and resolutions first go to committees that deliberate, investigate, and revise them before they go to general debate. The majority of bills and resolutions never make it out of committee. [Last Updated: Sep 19, 2009 2:52AM]

I would also keep an eye on the Senate, look at the sponsors:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-799
S. 799:
2009-2010 America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009
Sponsor: Sen. Richard Durbin [D-IL]
21 co-sponsors:
Barbara Boxer [D-CA] Roland Burris [D-IL] Maria Cantwell [D-WA] Benjamin Cardin [D-MD] Russell Feingold [D-WI] Kirsten Gillibrand [D-NY] Thomas Harkin [D-IA] Edward Kaufman [D-DE] Edward Kennedy [D-MA] John Kerry [D-MA] Frank Lautenberg [D-NJ] Patrick Leahy [D-VT] Joseph Lieberman [I-CT] Robert Menéndez [D-NJ] Jeff Merkley [D-OR] John Reed [D-RI] Bernard Sanders [I-VT] Charles Schumer [D-NY] Debbie Ann Stabenow [D-MI] Mark Udall [D-CO] Sheldon Whitehouse [D-RI]

4/2/2009--Introduced.
America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009 - Designates specified lands in the following areas of Utah as components of the National Wilderness Preservation System: (1) Great Basin; (2) Zion and Mojave Desert; (3) Grand Staircase-Escalante; (4) Moab-La Sal Canyons; (5) Henry Mountains; (6) Glen Canyon; (7) San Juan-Anasazi; (8) Canyonlands Basin; (9) San Rafael Swell; and (10) Book Cliffs and Uinta Basin. Sets forth administrative provisions regarding: (1) filing by the Secretary of the Interior of a map and a legal description of each designated wilderness area with appropriate congressional committees; (2) the exchange of state-owned lands within such areas; (3) federal reservation of water rights; (4) measurement of setbacks for roads with wilderness; (5) authorized livestock grazing; and (6) withdrawal of such lands from disposition under certain public land laws.

SEC. 104. MOAB-LA SAL CANYONS WILDERNESS AREAS.
(a) Findings- Congress finds that--
(1) the canyons surrounding the La Sal Mountains and the town of Moab offer a variety of extraordinary landscapes;
(2) outstanding examples of natural formations and landscapes in the Moab-La Sal area include the huge sandstone fins of Behind the Rocks, the mysterious Fisher Towers, and the whitewater rapids of Westwater Canyon; and
(3) the Moab-La Sal area should be protected and managed as a wilderness area.
(b) Designation- In accordance with the Wilderness Act (16 U.S.C. 1131 et seq.), the following areas in the State are designated as wilderness areas and as components of the National Wilderness Preservation System:
(1) Arches Adjacent (approximately 12,000 acres).
(2) Beaver Creek (approximately 41,000 acres).
(3) Behind the Rocks and Hunters Canyon (approximately 22,000 acres).
(4) Big Triangle (approximately 20,000 acres).
(5) Coyote Wash (approximately 28,000 acres).
(6) Dome Plateau-Professor Valley (approximately 35,000 acres).
(7) Fisher Towers (approximately 18,000 acres).
(8) Goldbar Canyon (approximately 9,000 acres).
(9) Granite Creek (approximately 5,000 acres).
(10) Mary Jane Canyon (approximately 25,000 acres).
(11) Mill Creek (approximately 14,000 acres).
(12) Porcupine Rim and Morning Glory (approximately 20,000 acres).
(13) Renegade Point (approximately 6,600 acres).
(14) Westwater Canyon (approximately 37,000 acres).
(15) Yellow Bird (approximately 4,200 acres).

Government site for keyword searching bills: http://thomas.loc.gov/home/c111query.html

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!

Last edited by chasinternet; 09-24-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Granite Guru

Looks like the reason for concern is there is a October 1 hearing scheduled that includes HR 1925.

http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/...view&extid=292

The hearing will be webcast live and archived on the Committee's Web site at http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/.

I don't see S. 799 scheduled in the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources yet.
http://energy.senate.gov/public/

http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/?alert=1070
Utah's political representatives need to know that the majority of Utahans oppose this. And they need to hear it from you. Today please.
Rep. Rob Bishop: 202-225-0453
Rep. Jim Matheson: 202-225-3011
Rep. Jason Chaffetz: 202-225-7751
Be polite. None of Utah's Representatives or Senators support SUWA's madness. If you call now, you can make SUWA's bill like toxic waste, so that none of Utah's representatives will ever come near it. Ever.

Letter generator is up
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...idresponse.asp

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!

Last edited by chasinternet; 09-26-2009 at 08:19 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I sent my letter and emailed my group of 96 Jeepers!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #6 of 11 Old 09-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I saw this on pirate. I sent mine in too. These assholes that want to shut everything down must be stopped.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #7 of 11 Old 09-28-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

My letter is sent too...I have been monitoring the senate version for months, but I never bothered to check on the House, so this took my surprise and got to me a bit...

post #8 of 11 Old 09-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Safari Straps

Proposal H.R 1925

I just received an email with the link below to send a letter. follow the link, it's real easy. It seems they are holding the meeting tomorrow. If everyone can send a letter, it might help.

http://www.arra-access.com/site/R?i=...ZYyNE-d5OH8qpA..
post #9 of 11 Old 10-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Granite Guru

I too have sent the letter/e-mail but learned some new info yesterday. I spoke with a ranger at Canyonlands National Park yesterday morning about an upcoming trip on the White Rim Trail. During the discussion I asked what he knew of this bill. He said this bill has been brought to committee every year since 1963 and has always been tabled. I don't know the outcome of the hearing October 1 this year. He also said the wilderness bill being presented would not close any existing roads or trails but would prevent building any new ones. It's main purpose is to prevent development in these areas, not to prevent access. This allayed some of my fears. I may be a gullible sucker but I believed he was being honest with me. On the other hand if those wanting this passed have brought it to committee every year for the last 46 years we need to be just as diligent in expressing our opinions to our Representatives. So don't forget, consider signing up for one of the "alert" e-mail services such as the one with the American Motorcycle Association, and prepare for next year.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett

Last edited by JKDoc; 10-06-2009 at 02:37 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDoc View Post
He also said the wilderness bill being presented would not close any existing roads or trails
He is wrong. 9 million acres (15,000 square miles) is a lot of land. The initial maps (the actual area is not even mapped out that they want to close) shows closing most of the East and West Rim trails. Basically that’s where all the famous trails you’ve seen pictures of are at.

One of the trails that may go is White Rim in fact. Better make that trip soon
post #11 of 11 Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
He is wrong. 9 million acres (15,000 square miles) is a lot of land. The initial maps (the actual area is not even mapped out that they want to close) shows closing most of the East and West Rim trails. Basically that’s where all the famous trails you’ve seen pictures of are at.

One of the trails that may go is White Rim in fact. Better make that trip soon
Hey Alec, I thought this bill would not affect anything inside the National Park...I thought it was all areas outside the park?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode