Door removal, storage and reinstallation system - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By vwduud
  • 1 Post By vwduud

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 12-31-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Door removal, storage and reinstallation system

I got tired of making 2 trips, carrying each door. And no good place to store them.

So I built this. Been using it since August. Works great.

Looking for some feedback. See if it’s worth tooling up to pretty this thing up and produce.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zYH5lOObrek&t=3s
redbank and Ronkers like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-31-2019, 04:27 PM
Granite Guru

Nice work on the tool for your needs. While not for me, as pure product feedback I’d say it may take up too much space while not in use for most folks.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-31-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjindna View Post
Nice work on the tool for your needs. While not for me, as pure product feedback I’d say it may take up too much space while not in use for most folks.
Thank you for your feedback.

How often do you get to take your doors off? Where are you from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 12-31-2019, 06:19 PM
Wheeler

Garage

IMO I thinks it's a great idea, there's nothing like it on the market, I would certainly seriously consider buying the 2 door version and possibly with the weather enclosure.

What's the anticipated weight with out the doors? What would a cabinet size be, to roll it into a garage cabinet? With and or without doors?

Good job on the video, pictures are a million words.

Best of luck with your product, happy new year,

2011 JK Sport owner (manual everything),
6-speed manual transmission,
Bestop Trex NX Softtop,
2.5 in. Rubicon Express lift.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-31-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprkeng View Post
IMO I thinks it's a great idea, there's nothing like it on the market, I would certainly seriously consider buying the 2 door version and possibly with the weather enclosure.

What's the anticipated weight with out the doors? What would a cabinet size be, to roll it into a garage cabinet? With and or without doors?

Thank you Sprkeng.

The device itself weighs about as much as a JK door. I’ll see if I can get in on a scale to get an actual weight. Before I built the ramp that you see in the video, I was lifting the device, with doors secured, to get up onto my sidewalk. Not overly heavy, but much easier with the ramp.

It’s dimensions are 34” wide x 28” deep and just under 55” tall. Add another 20” up with the doors on it. Actual height will actually be about an 1 1/2” higher than what your doors measure when on your Jeep, assuming that you leave the lift position where it was vertically once the door’s are removed. Technically, you could lower the doors back down on the lift to reduce the overall height.
post #6 of 22 Old 12-31-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprkeng View Post

Happy New Year to you!
post #7 of 22 Old 12-31-2019, 08:03 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Thank you for the update.

2011 JK Sport owner (manual everything),
6-speed manual transmission,
Bestop Trex NX Softtop,
2.5 in. Rubicon Express lift.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-31-2019, 08:43 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwduud View Post
Thank you for your feedback.

How often do you get to take your doors off? Where are you from?
North Texas, doors were on/off frequently enough I finally bit the bullet and bought MOPAR half doors w/uppers.

I built a rolling cart out of scrap 1x1 and some tube (don’t recall size but slightly larger ID than door pin OD) so that I could move all 4 doors around when they were in the way. The cart provided the smallest possible footprint that I could fit all 4 in while upright at 30” wide by 40” long.

I dig the ingenuity for solving your issue with lifting the doors, certainly nothing like that on market that I’m aware of. After that, like all other storage “carts”, there is just a lot of mass to deal with in the average garage.

Could it be broken down into a few pieces for “flat” storage? Maybe something like little giant ladder style?
post #9 of 22 Old 12-31-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjindna View Post

....Could it be broken down into a few pieces for “flat” storage? Maybe something like little giant ladder style?
Funny you should ask.

This thing just kind of evolved.

I had first envisioned something that could easily fold down/disassemble such that it could be brought with you in the back of a JK to remove the doors away from home. As I tested different bases and caster wheels, I recognized how sturdy this thing would have to be to stay precise. The size of the casters were important too. Soon, a foldable option became less of a design constraint.

However, that is still in the works.

Once I get this design built cost effective enough to not out-price itself in the market, I’ll look for ways to make it more portable or easier to store when not in use, while maintaining its rigidity.

For now, as you pointed out, it suits my needs. Where I park the device is where my doors end up when I took them off. Fortunately here in Louisiana, I get more months than not that the weather is favorable to take them off.

Point well taken though. Thank you again for sharing your feedback. Very helpful.

Jim
post #10 of 22 Old 01-01-2020, 05:59 AM
Rock God

When I first took my full doors off and realized how heavy they are Ö I knew I was done with 'em.

With that said, my feedback on your invention is I think it's cool as shit.

Well done sir.

My Trailer Queen don't ride on one ... it pulls one.
post #11 of 22 Old 01-01-2020, 10:17 AM
Rock God

It's not for me but I would say nicely done. I agree with @cjindna with designing it to store flat for space savings when not in use.

If you decide to sell it to people on here, be sure to get a yellow star. They like vendors to support the forum for selling their stuff.

Good luck with this.

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Clayton 2.5" Overland Plus Lift, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, and more to come...
post #12 of 22 Old 01-01-2020, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Scarlet View Post
It's not for me but I would say nicely done. I agree with @cjindna with designing it to store flat for space savings when not in use.

If you decide to sell it to people on here, be sure to get a yellow star. They like vendors to support the forum for selling their stuff.

Good luck with this. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JKowners_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]
Thanks Will. How does one go about getting a yellow star? And if you wouldn’t mind, can you expand a bit why something like this isn’t for you? I’m looking for all feedback.
post #13 of 22 Old 01-01-2020, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOWBOY View Post
When I first took my full doors off and realized how heavy they are … I knew I was done with 'em.

With that said, my feedback on your invention is I think it's cool as shit.

Well done sir. <a href="https://www.jkowners.com/forum/images/smilies/beer.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Beer" >:-)</a>
Thank you Kowboy. This has been a challenging, yet fun project.

And I’m with ya. I couldn’t wait to take my doors when I got my JK. That is, until I took my doors off. LOL. I found myself only taking them off on “perfect” days to justify the physical effort. Especially if I might be returning home after dark with possibly no help to get them back on. Now, all this thing needs is some lights on it to help see putting em back on. &#x1f642;
sprkeng likes this.
post #14 of 22 Old 01-02-2020, 09:41 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwduud View Post
Thanks Will. How does one go about getting a yellow star? And if you wouldnít mind, can you expand a bit why something like this isnít for you? Iím looking for all feedback.
When you log in to the site, you should notice a "Get Premium" link in the upper right hand corner. From there you can get your vendor start. And it seems they only accept PayPal for payment if I remember correctly.

As for why it's not for me is quite simple, my garage is right behind my Jeep. Not far to travel with the doors for when I take them off.

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Clayton 2.5" Overland Plus Lift, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, and more to come...
post #15 of 22 Old 01-02-2020, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Scarlet View Post
When you log in to the site, you should notice a "Get Premium" link in the upper right hand corner. From there you can get your vendor start. And it seems they only accept PayPal for payment if I remember correctly.

As for why it's not for me is quite simple, my garage is right behind my Jeep. Not far to travel with the doors for when I take them off.
Ah, ok. You store your doors on a rack or hinge mount of some sort?
post #16 of 22 Old 01-02-2020, 10:45 PM
Rock God

I wouldnít buy it. I have more than a few reasons. 1. It is a solution for a problem I donít have. I can easily lift my doors off, and put them back on. 2. I think that it is too time consuming compared to doing it by lifting them off, especially after you take the various adjustments into account. 3. It is way too complicated. Mt jeep is complicated enough, i donít need a tool to complicate further, and then have to store it between uses.
post #17 of 22 Old 01-03-2020, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Hey Az Scooter. Appreciate your candor.

Agreed. This is not for everyone.
post #18 of 22 Old 01-08-2020, 04:58 AM

Wow! Great product and well done!
I'm in the Northeast and need to bring my doors about 100 yards up and down a hill to store in shed/bring back to driveway. How would these wheels perform on a hilly gravel pathway and grass? Also, couldn't tell from the video: Is there a rubber strip between the aluminum that the door is strapped against to avoid scratching/rub, and what about strap indentations/fatigue into the doors over time - any issues...?
Overall - great concept! Nice work!
post #19 of 22 Old 01-08-2020, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK2008 View Post
Wow! Great product and well done!
I'm in the Northeast and need to bring my doors about 100 yards up and down a hill to store in shed/bring back to driveway. How would these wheels perform on a hilly gravel pathway and grass? Also, couldn't tell from the video: Is there a rubber strip between the aluminum that the door is strapped against to avoid scratching/rub, and what about strap indentations/fatigue into the doors over time - any issues...?
Overall - great concept! Nice work!
Thank you JK2008.

All of the painted surfaces of the door rest on felt strips. While I did try a few rubber strips early in the design, the felt is holding up better, with no damage to the painted surfaces.

The straps haven't shown any signs of fatigue, however, I have added (since the video) some padded cushions to the straps where they come across the top of the door.

If you go back into the video, just after the doors are removed and stored, you'll see some optional, larger, pneumatic wheels. While these do work better on grass and gravel, I'm still looking for some alternative wheel designs for non-paved surfaces, similar to those found on beach carts.
post #20 of 22 Old 01-27-2020, 06:15 AM

the link doesn't work or is it just me??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

paw paw
post #21 of 22 Old 01-27-2020, 07:00 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisha89 View Post
It might just be you.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #22 of 22 Old 01-28-2020, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisha89 View Post
Hi Trisha89.

I just checked the link to make sure that it was still functional. I was able to launch the video with no problems.

Please try it again. If it still won't play, please email me at [email protected].

Thank you for checking it out.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode