new AEV rear corner guard upgrade accessory? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ChuckTheRipper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-24-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
new AEV rear corner guard upgrade accessory?

So, I guess you guys and gals have read the latest JKOwners email newsletter *; I was scanning through my gmail and noticed it yesterday so just wanting to check out what I had not read on the interwebz already, i came across the article about the new AEV 20th Anniversary 'build' or kit or model option ( not sure how they work) that was a feature article at off-road.com about the model they were trying out.
Anyway, it isn't the article I am interested in your opinions about , it is the thing that has been added on to the rear quarter panel that is protected by a set of the AEV rear corner armor that we all are familiar with yet they have mention as well as images of what is referred to as a "Tube Protector" several places in the piece or writing as well as a caption under a photo.
what do you guys think of this ;

is it production ( it's not on their site ) or only included with this model you think? It seems easily reproducible but when I start to ponder on its function versus the form that you are first interested in, I begin to question if that would work to protect that super thin bit of the 4 door or if it is more asking for trouble ; what would exactly occur if that was laid into a tree or rock with that bar there but ( presumably) nutserted into the sheetmetal with those four base bolts per side. I am not sure I would even want to hang off that but maybe I am wrong. I think it would only result in more damage tho i may be 100% wrong.
It does look good to me aesthetically . It looks a little like those ORF corner armor that was so poorly shaped but had the cool bar welded to it. that would work but would this new AEV idea ?
What do you think? Viable protection or mallcrawler, shopping cart protection?

I put the link up there to the article I reference so you can browse over and look at other pix and read about the model for those that didnt catch the newsletter with the link.
I will mention that it strikes me as funny that 37s have become the standard tire size on a orderable jeep mod from aftermarket company. Remember when that seemed like such a massive tire size? heh

(* yes: I am aware the same newsletter goes out for many forums that are owned by VerticleScope ,Inc.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 12-24-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-24-2016, 04:40 PM
Rock God

That looks like a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AdrockTT likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-24-2016, 04:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
That looks like a joke.

Lol i actually like it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-24-2016, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
That looks like a joke.

spot-on, dude. I needed a laugh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-24-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Like I said , Ken; at first checking it out I thought it was good looking but I then wondered why it wasn't a ramp on each end , shaped like those rear long arm protection brackets from RK to allow them to slide along because the right angle at each end could cause a sardine can peel back were some of the tight fits I find myself in with trees around these parts and thus the post. I think they should be called Calamity Bars.

Edit: I can't recall if that area where they mount nearest rear door is reinforced or hollow so I'm gonna go to garage and check. I was gonna make some but Chuck made me realize I can just go to Home Depot bathroom isle...

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 12-24-2016 at 05:53 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-25-2016, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

so, last evening I checked that location and there is no way you'd want to have a handle or standoff tube protection bar affixed to that spot unless it had steel or aluminum plate about 1/4" thick on it first. It is paper thin ( we know this ) and if bolted to those plates even that footprint isn't going to offer real protection . It is for looks, I suppose & I agree they look neat.

post #7 of 13 Old 12-25-2016, 02:36 PM
Granite Guru

It reminds me of this product from OR-Fab:

Jeep | 2007-2016 JEEP JK WRANGLER REAR QUARTER ARMOR W/NO LIGHT HOLES RAW 4 DOOR W/BAR | 84343

Really nothing new, but it's still ugly.

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Clayton 2.5" Overland Plus Lift, and more to come...
post #8 of 13 Old 12-25-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Scarlet View Post
It reminds me of this product from OR-Fab:

Jeep | 2007-2016 JEEP JK WRANGLER REAR QUARTER ARMOR W/NO LIGHT HOLES RAW 4 DOOR W/BAR | 84343

Really nothing new, but it's still ugly.
I agree they are similar but those whole corners from ORF might disperse the impact through the steel and could function to deflect stuff you lean the Jeep into .

I was asking if those AEVs didn't look as if that bar would exacerbate any impact due to there being only the small mounting plate on that front foot. There is nothing behind the sheet metal there from what I can tell .

post #9 of 13 Old 12-25-2016, 04:42 PM
Rock God

it would disperse the load for a few reasons. first being the snow shoe effect. second being the b pillar is right behind that foot plate. you have several pieces of metal layered up in that location.

edit: I was looking at it as a 2 door stand point but am almost positive the 4 door is constructed in a similar manner at that location
post #10 of 13 Old 12-25-2016, 06:55 PM
Rock God

Your quartet panel would look like a smashed asshole after the first hit. I've honestly never really saw the point of aev corners in the first place. I usually hit where they end of before that, and the fact the tail light is still hanging there waiting to be smashed.

post #11 of 13 Old 12-25-2016, 07:10 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
I agree they are similar but those whole corners from ORF might disperse the impact through the steel and could function to deflect stuff you lean the Jeep into .

I was asking if those AEVs didn't look as if that bar would exacerbate any impact due to there being only the small mounting plate on that front foot. There is nothing behind the sheet metal there from what I can tell .
The protection would be debatable. But if I was worried, I would have whole corner armor along with metal fenders to boot. I would not have something that looked like a safety rail from the bathroom.

Besides, I was merely commenting that it's nothing new and still ugly.

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Clayton 2.5" Overland Plus Lift, and more to come...
post #12 of 13 Old 12-25-2016, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

we are all "on same page" , I think @Will Scarlet ... I went to actually see if that area was built up but Chuck is correct that usually that area just aft of where AEV corners start is susceptible to massive damage if the corner is. There ain't nothing behind that front place to support anything there and these are attractive , for looks only " corner protection " but I am not suprised or anything

carry on !

post #13 of 13 Old 12-27-2016, 08:48 AM
Granite Guru

Unless that is to access the roof rack or help a disabled person enter the back seat - that looks fugly (though not worse than the angry unibrow grille thing that is so popular right now - unrelated rant over!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode