TBM Brakes: Brand New Vendor. Brand New Products! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 87 Old 03-23-2016, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

TBM Brakes: Brand New Vendor. Brand New Products!

Seems strange that a Vendor account can't post images. Forgive us. We'll get images up as soon as possible!

We are TBM Brakes. A little about us:

TBM Brakes was founded in 1993 as ‘The Brake Man’ and originally focused on high-performance brake pads, brake fluid and the most accurate brake residual pressure valves on the market. The company expanded into rotors in 1995 with the introduction of the groundbreaking Revolution rotor, the industry’s first brake rotor to implement a convoluted design. The unique design put TBM Brakes’ indelible stamp on the racing industry. The following years saw the company roll out a string of innovative products including patented Tornado calipers, Hurricane rotors, Thunderstorm calipers, and full street kits.

Today TBM Brakes systems and components help countless drivers and motorsports teams make their way to the winners circle. Victories span a wide range of regional and national race series and events from dirt and off-road to superspeedways and road courses. This industry-leading technology and durability is also available for street performance and fleet vehicles.
Headquartered in Southern California, TBM Brakes is the only company producing true made-in-America brake systems and components.

A little about our JK Systems:
Fits: 2007-2016 Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited

Kit Includes:

13” front rotors, 1” larger diameter than stock

14” Vented Rear Rotors, 1.5” larger than stock, retains factory parking brake.

Forged aluminum 4 piston calipers front and rear

Braided stainless brake lines

Nickel plated brackets and hardware included for easy installation

For an introductory thread, this one is really a letdown without any images. I apologize again. There are images on our website though. And you can learn more about us on Facebook as well.

We will get images up ASAP!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Facebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Call Us Today: 1-805-987-7867
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 03-23-2016, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Our website!

http://www.tbmbrakes.com/listings/je...-offroad-kits/

Facebook
post #3 of 87 Old 03-23-2016, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Maybe we can post images now?

Front Kit:

Rear Kit:

Comparison to stock:

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 87 Old 03-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

What interesting timing. It's almost time for new brakes and i was considering the dynatrac rotor kit. But this looks pretty nice.

Couple of questions.

What are the length of the brake lines? Do you offer different lengths? Most of us will need pretty long lines to handle the amount of articulation we are running.

Does the flow requirement change? Would I need to pick up a a different master cylinder to ensure that it was moving enough fluid or is the stock one fine. If an after market is required, do you have any recommendations and part numbers for them?

Are there different options for the colour of the callipers? While the shiny aluminum looks nice, I would prefer a more understated colour on my rig. Not a whole lot shines on my jeep anymore.

Thanks and welcome to the forum! I look forward to hearing some reviews of your stuff!
post #5 of 87 Old 03-23-2016, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recharge View Post
What interesting timing. It's almost time for new brakes and i was considering the dynatrac rotor kit. But this looks pretty nice.

Couple of questions.

What are the length of the brake lines? Do you offer different lengths? Most of us will need pretty long lines to handle the amount of articulation we are running.

Does the flow requirement change? Would I need to pick up a a different master cylinder to ensure that it was moving enough fluid or is the stock one fine. If an after market is required, do you have any recommendations and part numbers for them?

Are there different options for the colour of the callipers? While the shiny aluminum looks nice, I would prefer a more understated colour on my rig. Not a whole lot shines on my jeep anymore.

Thanks and welcome to the forum! I look forward to hearing some reviews of your stuff!
Great questions! The kit comes with extended brake lines. I have an 08 JKUR with a 3" long arm kit and the standard length works fine for me. We can do custom lengths if necessary. Give us a call.

This kit retains the stock master cylinder.

The pictures are a bit deceiving. Or we may have taken pics of polished calipers. I don't recall. The standard finish is brushed nickel. It's not shiny at all.

I was running a big brake kit from another company prior to the release of this system. I can't give your hard data, but I can tell you that this kit stops significantly better, no fade, and I really like the pedal feel. But take that with a grain of salt. I am promoting the brakes.

Facebook
post #6 of 87 Old 03-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Wheeler

Can you get the brake pads at any auto store or are they a special order item only?
post #7 of 87 Old 03-23-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDL2MTL View Post
Can you get the brake pads at any auto store or are they a special order item only?
Brake pads are proprietary in shape and compound. You can order them from our website or call us. The F4 caliper that this kit uses is our most popular caliper so we always have these pads in stock.

Facebook
post #8 of 87 Old 03-23-2016, 04:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

Shiny.
Do you have some test data that shows the before/after stopping distance?
Looking for a reason why your system is $1000.00 better than a better known competitor.
Also, the cad dwg you posted doesn't really show a significant size difference, but there is one on your site that does. Can you explain what that pic on here is supposed to be?
post #9 of 87 Old 03-23-2016, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Shiny.
Do you have some test data that shows the before/after stopping distance?
Looking for a reason why your system is $1000.00 better than a better known competitor.
Also, the cad dwg you posted doesn't really show a significant size difference, but there is one on your site that does. Can you explain what that pic on here is supposed to be?
We do not. I would love to have that data, but logistics didn't allow that.

I don't follow your math. Perhaps you clicked on the kit for all 4 corners? Front kit is $1199 complete (with deals coming shortly). Our competitor's kits, when you add the master cylinder, are right there with us as far price goes. Do we have a competitor with a kit for $199? I'd be wary of that kit.

If you want a 4 corner system, we can do that as well. It'll cost twice as much. You're getting twice the brakes.

We're not here to be the cheapest. We are here to be the best. These are not re-purposed production parts. Our of all our brake parts are designed for racing. They are all designed and made right here in the USA.

I guess our definition of "significant" is different. I don't mean to be flippant, but the drawing is self-explanatory. The passenger side is our brakes, the driver's side is stock brakes. The drawing is just a visual representation.

Typically because our calipers are stiffer, they are smaller and lighter than comparable calipers. In many instances we can get the same performance with a 2 piston caliper that our competitors are getting with a 4 piston caliper.

These are the same F4 calipers (different rotors) that are used on Ultra4 cars.

Tony Pellegrino has been using TBM Brakes for years on his 4485 car.

The Hells Bells 666 car uses Rockwell axles with only one F4 per axle. Different braking concepts I admit.

I hope all this helps. I understand you're suspect. You should be. Feel free to give us a call to discuss if you'd like.

Facebook
post #10 of 87 Old 03-23-2016, 05:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

Your web page has front and rear for 2100 or close enough. Dynatrac has a front/rear system that they can quantify as reducing stopping distance by up to 30%. Front and rear together are 1100 ish with no need for new calipers or brake lines. My question was pretty self explanitory. You tell us what you sell but no details about why it is $1000 better.
I am not trying to pit you against anyone or stir the pot. I added some weight and tq to my jk, improving my stopping is on my radar.
post #11 of 87 Old 03-23-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Your web page has front and rear for 2100 or close enough. Dynatrac has a front/rear system that they can quantify as reducing stopping distance by up to 30%. Front and rear together are 1100 ish with no need for new calipers or brake lines. My question was pretty self explanitory. You tell us what you sell but no details about why it is $1000 better.
I am not trying to pit you against anyone or stir the pot. I added some weight and tq to my jk, improving my stopping is on my radar.
No, you're all good. Thanks for the spirited discussion!

I didn't even consider Dynatrac a competitor as they're not even replacing the caliper. They're using some bracket to hold the stock caliper farther out, allowing for a larger rotor. And on the rear, they're just adding different rotors and pads. That's really an apples and oranges comparison. Of course their product is cheaper. They're leaving the heart of the system stock.

Facebook
post #12 of 87 Old 03-23-2016, 05:37 PM
Granite Guru

I'm intrigued. Some good questions brought up.

The rear looks like it works with 2 bolt patterns. Is the front the same or only the 5x5?

Last edited by 08JKUR33; 03-23-2016 at 05:42 PM.
post #13 of 87 Old 03-23-2016, 05:48 PM
Granite Guru

Would you ever recommend adding just the front (or rear) set to provide increased braking performance, or should anyone considering your product really only be looking at the full 4 corner setup?

I think what would be most helpful is some guidelines for what type of brakes are required for a given vehicle weight and rotating mass. The best we get from all companies is "these kit improves braking performance" or maybe a video comparing before and after stopping distances.

Also given the nature of these vehicles, lighter caliper weight is not a big selling point.

'13 JKU | 3" Synergy, 37" KO2
post #14 of 87 Old 03-23-2016, 07:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Compatibility with Currie Rock Jock 60?

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.

Last edited by terrahawk; 03-23-2016 at 07:42 PM.
post #15 of 87 Old 03-24-2016, 04:54 AM
Rock God

Well, I don't have a race Jeep. But I sure would like bigger brakes.

No chances for an "economy" kit is there? One that doesn't use proprietary race parts?

Every time I hear big brake kit I get excited, only to be let down by the "big" price that follows them because of the black-box-voodoo pimped along with them. "These are our special parts, for that we charge a premium". Sigh.
post #16 of 87 Old 03-24-2016, 07:48 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM Brakes View Post
Great questions! The kit comes with extended brake lines. I have an 08 JKUR with a 3" long arm kit and the standard length works fine for me. We can do custom lengths if necessary. Give us a call.

This kit retains the stock master cylinder.

The pictures are a bit deceiving. Or we may have taken pics of polished calipers. I don't recall. The standard finish is brushed nickel. It's not shiny at all.

I was running a big brake kit from another company prior to the release of this system. I can't give your hard data, but I can tell you that this kit stops significantly better, no fade, and I really like the pedal feel. But take that with a grain of salt. I am promoting the brakes.
Awesome. Well, I think the TBM 4 wheel kit will have to go on my short list. Once the CAD to USD exchange gets better I'll get my order in. I've got quite a list of parts to buy as soon as the change rate is better.

Thanks for the info!
post #17 of 87 Old 03-24-2016, 07:49 AM
Granite Guru

Why did you go with 14" on the rear and only 13" on the front?

Does that not affect the brake bias more toward the rear, or is that what you were trying to accomplish?

I don't claim to be a brake expert, but do have some experience with installing larger brake kits, your F4 calipers seem a little overkill on the rear to me.

All "economy" BB kits just use larger rotors, that will increase the braking performance because it allows the same clamping force as stock, but moved further out. (Leverage).

True BB kits like these increase rotor diameter and also change to high performance calipers, the calipers are what brings the price up and is the "black-box-voodoo" that really changes your braking. Not only do you get more leverage, but you usually get more clamping force and heat dissipation as well.
Heat build up is what causes brake fade, but that's not really something we suffer from. If you've never taken a stock vehicle to a race track and pushed it, you probably have never actually experience brake fade, trust me, not fun when that corner is approaching at 100 mph and you have no brakes.

Jeepless
post #18 of 87 Old 03-24-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08JKUR33 View Post
I'm intrigued. Some good questions brought up.

The rear looks like it works with 2 bolt patterns. Is the front the same or only the 5x5?
This kit is only 5x5. Honestly, I'm not sure what that other bolt pattern is. This kit is designed and built for JKs.

But we do brake systems for everything from drag bikes to Monster trucks. So if you have another application, give us a call.

Facebook
post #19 of 87 Old 03-24-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockwell View Post
Would you ever recommend adding just the front (or rear) set to provide increased braking performance, or should anyone considering your product really only be looking at the full 4 corner setup?

I think what would be most helpful is some guidelines for what type of brakes are required for a given vehicle weight and rotating mass. The best we get from all companies is "these kit improves braking performance" or maybe a video comparing before and after stopping distances.

Also given the nature of these vehicles, lighter caliper weight is not a big selling point.
My guess is that most folks will start with just the front kit. That's fine and it's where you'll see the greatest gain. We sell the rear kit separately so you can add it down the road if you'd like.

Facebook
post #20 of 87 Old 03-24-2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuLcRuM View Post
Why did you go with 14" on the rear and only 13" on the front?

Does that not affect the brake bias more toward the rear, or is that what you were trying to accomplish?

I don't claim to be a brake expert, but do have some experience with installing larger brake kits, your F4 calipers seem a little overkill on the rear to me.

All "economy" BB kits just use larger rotors, that will increase the braking performance because it allows the same clamping force as stock, but moved further out. (Leverage).

True BB kits like these increase rotor diameter and also change to high performance calipers, the calipers are what brings the price up and is the "black-box-voodoo" that really changes your braking. Not only do you get more leverage, but you usually get more clamping force and heat dissipation as well.
Heat build up is what causes brake fade, but that's not really something we suffer from. If you've never taken a stock vehicle to a race track and pushed it, you probably have never actually experience brake fade, trust me, not fun when that corner is approaching at 100 mph and you have no brakes.
We were trying to get more braking force in the rear. That was my request. Have you ever attempted an obstacle and didn't quite make it? Now you have to back down a steep hill to get another shot at it. I always hated the feeling of backing down and having almost no brakes.

All your other points are right on.

I have achieved brake fade in my Jeep even with a competitors kit on the front. Heavy Jeep, curvy downhill mountain road. Get to the stop sign at the bottom and the pedal is soft. No bueno.

Facebook
post #21 of 87 Old 03-24-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
Compatibility with Currie Rock Jock 60?
Best bet would be to give us a call. Really the only thing different could be the mount, but we'd have to look at it.

Facebook
post #22 of 87 Old 03-24-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D94R View Post
Well, I don't have a race Jeep. But I sure would like bigger brakes.

No chances for an "economy" kit is there? One that doesn't use proprietary race parts?

Every time I hear big brake kit I get excited, only to be let down by the "big" price that follows them because of the black-box-voodoo pimped along with them. "These are our special parts, for that we charge a premium". Sigh.
I hear ya. Folks are always looking for a less expensive alternative. We get that. But that's not something we're going to pursue.

We'd spend a bunch of time trying to make off the shelf, factory parts work. And it wouldn't be any cheaper than other kits that are out there. Some of our competitors are already doing that.

I think the pricing on all of the kits out there is fair. To me it's about priorities. Many of these kits are less than a set of 37" tires. Or a set of high end bumpers. Or many people's LED light budget. And brakes last the lifetime of the vehicle. Yes, you may need pads or rotors. I plan to take these brakes with me if I ever build another Jeep.

Facebook
post #23 of 87 Old 03-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuLcRuM View Post

TBM makes a cool kit and I'm sure it'll stop our Jeep within it's own wheel base from 60mph, but really, I don't need that. I don't think the cost of $300-$500 per corner for brake calipers (quick google search for TBM F4 caliper pricing) is justifiable for a street JK is all, you understand.

And I know all too well about brake fade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM Brakes
I think the pricing on all of the kits out there is fair. To me it's about priorities. Many of these kits are less than a set of 37" tires. Or a set of high end bumpers. Or many people's LED light budget.
I guess it's all relative.

Last edited by D94R; 03-24-2016 at 07:31 PM.
post #24 of 87 Old 03-24-2016, 09:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM Brakes View Post
Best bet would be to give us a call. Really the only thing different could be the mount, but we'd have to look at it.

Looks like this, don't think your bracket will work. Your rotors definitely won't.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #25 of 87 Old 03-24-2016, 09:11 PM
Wheeler

I would probably buy a set if they worked with the Rock Jocks. They are 5 on 5.5 though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode