Auto Trans Shifting Help is Here! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 01-25-2016, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North of Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 32
Feedback: 0 reviews
Auto Trans Shifting Help is Here!

Are you tired of your big gear, big tire JK "hanging" in gear and not shifting until an undesirably high RPM?

OST Dyno can fix that for you!

Besides email and dyno tuning we also offer TCM flashing for the JK's equipped with 5 speed automatic transmissions.

We have pre-programmed TCM's in stock. These have been set up for tall gear, big tire JK's and will have your Jeep shifting at a MUCH more reasonable RPM.

Once I have my post count up I will post up some videos for reference.

In the interim google OST Dyno or look us up on Facebook to see what's happening at OST.

Thanks for looking!
ostmike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 Old 01-25-2016, 08:05 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Age: 38
Posts: 58
Feedback: 0 reviews

Very interested. Any jeepers have a review?
markclose is offline  
post #3 of 29 Old 01-25-2016, 10:01 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 261
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostmike View Post
Are you tired of your big gear, big tire JK "hanging" in gear and not shifting until an undesirably high RPM?

OST Dyno can fix that for you!

Besides email and dyno tuning we also offer TCM flashing for the JK's equipped with 5 speed automatic transmissions.

We have pre-programmed TCM's in stock. These have been set up for tall gear, big tire JK's and will have your Jeep shifting at a MUCH more reasonable RPM.

Once I have my post count up I will post up some videos for reference.

In the interim google OST Dyno or look us up on Facebook to see what's happening at OST.

Thanks for looking!
Interested as well.. What can you do with a 545rfe auto behind a hemi?
Pm with more info please
5.9lj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 29 Old 01-29-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North of Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 32
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclose View Post
Very interested. Any jeepers have a review?
This is a fairly new product and we have sold about a dozen of these to JK owners. I'm not sure if any are on this forum though. We have followed up with several customers that have purchased them and they said "it made a world of difference" and similar responses. I'll try to upload a video of the Jeep we did at our shop. It was on 40's w/513 gears. It was horrible to drive before we modified the shift schedule - but maybe I'm to picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9lj View Post
Interested as well.. What can you do with a 545rfe auto behind a hemi?
Pm with more info please
This is for the 580 only - sorry.
ostmike is offline  
post #5 of 29 Old 01-29-2016, 10:55 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Age: 38
Posts: 58
Feedback: 0 reviews

Yes, I'm on 37s and 5.13s. The TCM won't shift going up steep hills until I let off the gas very often. It drives me nuts. Hopefully someone will chime in and get that video up!
markclose is offline  
post #6 of 29 Old 01-29-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North of Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 32
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclose View Post
Yes, I'm on 37s and 5.13s. The TCM won't shift going up steep hills until I let off the gas very often. It drives me nuts. Hopefully someone will chime in and get that video up!
That's what prompted us to offer this service! We have been doing this on the Hemi and Pentastar drag race cars for improved (higher rpm) WOT shifting. Since we can also adjust the non-WOT shifting we decided to take care of the Jeep we had at the shop that was experiencing the same issue as you - it was really annoying.
ostmike is offline  
post #7 of 29 Old 01-29-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North of Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 32
Feedback: 0 reviews

If there is anyone located near our shop and wants to stop by and give one of our TCM's a try I would be glad to get some direct feedback and even make modifications if desired.

We are located about 30 minutes North of Pittsburgh, Pa.
Exact location available on our website: www.ostdyno.com
or on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/OstDyno/
ostmike is offline  
post #8 of 29 Old 01-29-2016, 02:40 PM
Wheeler
 
4W_Jive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Westminster, CO
Age: 35
Posts: 25
Feedback: 0 reviews

would this work in conjunction with other tuners? Is the shifting still throttle-sensitive?
4W_Jive is offline  
post #9 of 29 Old 01-29-2016, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North of Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 32
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4W_Jive View Post
would this work in conjunction with other tuners? Is the shifting still throttle-sensitive?
Yes and Yes!

As long as your tuner is not "overwriting" the TCM you should be good to go.
In other words - if you are using a Diablosport tool and DO NOT "unmarry" the unit or attempt to adjust transmission parameters you will be fine.

I am not familiar with the other tuning tools the Jeep guys are using but again as long as you are not writing to the TCM you should not have any issues.
ostmike is offline  
post #10 of 29 Old 01-29-2016, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North of Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 32
Feedback: 0 reviews

I wanted to point out that we are still looking for detailed feedback from the folks buying these. We include 3 free revisions and have yet to have someone send one back. There are quite a few options that can be set on the shift patterns and we did the best we could with the only vehicle we had to test with. I really wish we could get some more detailed feedback. So please, if you buy one of these (and we are selling a lot of them) let us know what we can improve on - I'm sure there are areas of the shift programming that can be better.

Thanks in advance!
Mike
ostmike is offline  
post #11 of 29 Old 01-29-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North of Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 32
Feedback: 0 reviews

Here are some videos of a JK on 40's w/513's. The first video is with the stock trans shifting and the second is with an OST TCM. We have since modified the OST TCM to shift at slightly higher RPM's but I no video of that to share.


Stock Trans shifting Jeep JK with gears and big tires:
https://youtu.be/du4Wdmi7Ei8

OST Custom TCM for Jeep JK's with gears on big tires:
https://youtu.be/KoclEMOppMc
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Specializing in Gen III Hemi & Pentastar Tuning
Home of some of the Quickest Gen III Hemi & Pentastar vehicles on the planet!
Like us on Facebook:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ostmike is offline  
post #12 of 29 Old 01-30-2016, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North of Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 32
Feedback: 0 reviews

Bump for comments on the shift points in the videos above.

We are trying our best to make a good product for those running big tires and gears so comments are appreciated.

Specializing in Gen III Hemi & Pentastar Tuning
Home of some of the Quickest Gen III Hemi & Pentastar vehicles on the planet!
Like us on Facebook:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ostmike is offline  
post #13 of 29 Old 02-01-2016, 12:24 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Age: 39
Posts: 339
Feedback: 0 reviews

Will this adjust my speedometer? I want to leave it uncalibrated to keep the odometer low
Mtljeep is offline  
post #14 of 29 Old 02-04-2016, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North of Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 32
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtljeep View Post
Will this adjust my speedometer? I want to leave it uncalibrated to keep the odometer low
When you flash the gear ratio and tire size with your tuning tool the speedo should read accurately. We never had anyone not desire an accurate speedo reading.

Specializing in Gen III Hemi & Pentastar Tuning
Home of some of the Quickest Gen III Hemi & Pentastar vehicles on the planet!
Like us on Facebook:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ostmike is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old 02-06-2016, 10:19 PM
Rock God
 
Ken Jong Il's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Posts: 666
Feedback: 1 reviews

Is your product available for the 42RLE, and if so, what the price?
Ken Jong Il is offline  
post #16 of 29 Old 02-06-2016, 11:48 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Missoula
Age: 61
Posts: 1,133
Feedback: 1 reviews

couple of questions. So will this void factory warranty? Will a dealer looking to get out of doing warranty work be able to tell it was used? and is the tire size actual tire size or does it consider a 35x12.5-17 a 35" tire even if it is really only a 33.5" tire etc? thanks. I definitely am interested.
Hilblee likes this.
Jadmt is offline  
post #17 of 29 Old 02-07-2016, 06:41 PM
Wheeler
 
mrjosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Age: 33
Posts: 37
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostmike View Post
I wanted to point out that we are still looking for detailed feedback from the folks buying these. We include 3 free revisions and have yet to have someone send one back. There are quite a few options that can be set on the shift patterns and we did the best we could with the only vehicle we had to test with. I really wish we could get some more detailed feedback. So please, if you buy one of these (and we are selling a lot of them) let us know what we can improve on - I'm sure there are areas of the shift programming that can be better.

Thanks in advance!
Mike
This is what I have been looking for ever since I installed a supercharger and have been annoyed by the shifting. I placed an order and will provide feedback once it arrives.

2013 JKU Sport "True Blue"
Mods: 3.5" Lift, Toyo Open Country RT 37's
mrjosh is offline  
post #18 of 29 Old 02-10-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North of Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 32
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Jong Il View Post
Is your product available for the 42RLE, and if so, what the price?
Not at this time, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
couple of questions. So will this void factory warranty? Will a dealer looking to get out of doing warranty work be able to tell it was used? and is the tire size actual tire size or does it consider a 35x12.5-17 a 35" tire even if it is really only a 33.5" tire etc? thanks. I definitely am interested.
I can't speak to your warranty or what you dealer may or may not say about this modification. The tire size setting will be set in your Diablo tuner so the actual sizes available are limited to the choices in the tuner. I can program in specific tire size down to the fraction of an inch but have found that the TCM's respond best when tire size and gear ratio are set in the tuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjosh View Post
This is what I have been looking for ever since I installed a supercharger and have been annoyed by the shifting. I placed an order and will provide feedback once it arrives.
Thanks Josh!

Just an informational post - we have been selling these TCM's faster than we can stock them. We are temporarily out of stock. We have received a new batch of TCM's and will be validating them shortly. Sorry for the temporary outage.

Thanks!
Mike

Specializing in Gen III Hemi & Pentastar Tuning
Home of some of the Quickest Gen III Hemi & Pentastar vehicles on the planet!
Like us on Facebook:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ostmike is offline  
post #19 of 29 Old 07-18-2016, 09:33 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
Feedback: 0 reviews
Thumbs up OST Dyno

Just got my 2016 JK Unlimited. Added TeraFlex 6" lift, chromoly axles, 4.88 gears, Evo Axle Trusses, Fox Reservoir Shocks, 37" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Tires and a RIPP Supercharger. All installed great but auto tranny all screwed up even after setting the gearing and tire size with Diablo Tuner. Would not shift 3-4 gear most of the time. You had to "lift to shift" as most of the posts say. If you jumped on it to 3/4 throttle 3rd, 4th and overdrive would not shift. Really disappointing when you spend $6800 plus labor to install RIPP Supercharge and vehicle won't shift and renders Supercharge useless. Enter OST Dyno. I viewed many threads on this and contacted OST. Mike said he could fix and did!! My mechanic was skeptical and called me to ask what I thought this newly programmed TCM was going to do and I answered, "Nothing". The mechanic said works perfectly!!! Totally changed the shift points of first and second and has been shifting 3rd, 4th and OD flawlessly. I have put the pedal to the metal and it reacts perfectly. Thanks Mike! If you are fighting this issue I suggest visiting OSTdyno.com. The OST Dyno TCM reprogramming is approximately $600 including core charge. When you ship stock TCM back to OST Dyno they refund the $300 core charge. Well worth it!
azjeepN likes this.
SERIOUSLY is offline  
post #20 of 29 Old 07-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Granite Guru
 
larry0071's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Age: 48
Posts: 378
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostmike View Post
If there is anyone located near our shop and wants to stop by and give one of our TCM's a try I would be glad to get some direct feedback and even make modifications if desired.

We are located about 30 minutes North of Pittsburgh, Pa.
Exact location available on our website: www.ostdyno.com
or on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/OstDyno/
I'm about a half hour from you, near Cranberry Twp.

I have 37" tires and 4.88 gears, currently use the SuperChips FlashCal to correct for gearing and tire changes.


I do also see the odd gear hang issue while going up the steep western PA hills, where your nearly at redline and the trans will not shift even if you let off the throttle. I assumed it was that the output shaft load transducers, accelerometers and gyroscopic sensors "see" that I am on a hill, under load... and they forbid the shift due to an out of calibration issue. That assumption is because the issue is not there while on stock tires and gears.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.


2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6, Mango Tango.


2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
larry0071 is offline  
post #21 of 29 Old 07-18-2016, 01:04 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Age: 41
Posts: 41
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
I'm about a half hour from you, near Cranberry Twp.

I have 37" tires and 4.88 gears, currently use the SuperChips FlashCal to correct for gearing and tire changes.


I do also see the odd gear hang issue while going up the steep western PA hills, where your nearly at redline and the trans will not shift even if you let off the throttle. I assumed it was that the output shaft load transducers, accelerometers and gyroscopic sensors "see" that I am on a hill, under load... and they forbid the shift due to an out of calibration issue. That assumption is because the issue is not there while on stock tires and gears.
You need a flashpaqs instead of the flashcal. I'm not on 37's but couple guys I know are with 37's and the flashpaqs does a lot better tuning than the flashcal, a lot more options and you can adjust shift points. I am on 35's and 3:73 gears on mine and I haven't felt the need for regearing with the flashpaqs. I adjusted mine properly,got my shift points right and I burn around 2200 RPMs at 79-80 mph. In the mountain regions, smokey mountains of NC, I can still climb steep hills and only be around 3500 RPMs, that's on a JKU auto trans. IMHO if your running 33's or less the flashcal is a good buy but if your over 33's the flashpaqs really works tons better for your setup.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jamiejku10 is offline  
post #22 of 29 Old 08-24-2016, 02:32 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Denton, Tx
Age: 40
Posts: 528
Feedback: 0 reviews

Any updates? Reviews? I have a 2014 with a RIPP and the shifting from 2-3 is terrible. It holds in 2nd until you let off or give it full throttle to redline and then shifts.

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
stretch79 is offline  
post #23 of 29 Old 08-24-2016, 09:10 PM
Wheeler
 
mrjosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Age: 33
Posts: 37
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch79 View Post
Any updates? Reviews? I have a 2014 with a RIPP and the shifting from 2-3 is terrible. It holds in 2nd until you let off or give it full throttle to redline and then shifts.
I guess I should update my experience with the OST tcm.

When I installed the Edelbrock Supercharger, the transmission would hold onto gears unless I lifted my foot off the gas pedal for the trans to shift. It is a known issue with superchargers and the 5 spd auto. I decided to give the OST tcm a shot because I had not seen any other solution other than removing the supercharger.

The program on the first tcm I received shifted way better than stock. The only issue was that the trans shifted too early. I sent the tcm back in and Mike reflashed it with an updated program. The second program had perfect shift points, but the shift firmness was a little too harsh for my liking. I sent the tcm back in for an adjustment. The third program was near perfect. The shift points were perfect (no hanging onto any of the gears) and the shift firmness was perfect except at WOT, where it was still a little too firm for me. Now I was about 95% satisfied and didn't feel like sending the tcm out again for another adjustment. I know Mike would've made the adjustment so I'd be 100% satisfied. All in all I will say that the OST tcm solved the shifting issues I was having and I would recommend this product if you are having shifting issues.

2013 JKU Sport "True Blue"
Mods: 3.5" Lift, Toyo Open Country RT 37's
mrjosh is offline  
post #24 of 29 Old 09-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Wheeler
 
obajoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 54
Feedback: 0 reviews
TCM impact on the dyno

@ostmike - Does replacing the TCM also allow the Jeep to go beyond second gear on the dyno? That was one of the issues we were hitting when trying to tune my '15 JKUR with the Edelbrock supercharger setup - we couldn't get it to shift into 3rd, even with the autostick.
obajoba is offline  
post #25 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 11:04 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 124
Feedback: 0 reviews

Any further updates?

ºlllllllº '15 JKU
secure is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome