Poison Spyder New Rear BFH with Hitch Prototype - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 Old 07-13-2015, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Poison Spyder New Rear BFH with Hitch Prototype

I've had this bumper a few months now, and finally got the chance to install the new Poison Spyder Customs BFH Rear Bumper with hitch (I have newborn twins now so everything was put on hold) As of right now it's still a prototype, but I think they will be releasing something soon. The hitchlink 2.0 is made by Factor55 and works perfectly with this new bumper. The install is pretty similar to the original BFH, but you replace your existing crossmember with a new Poison Spyder one that has hitch welded in place. The bumper and crossmember are two separate pieces, but the bumper slides over new crossmember making it look like a one piece design.
I got the ok to share so here is the new prototype bumper!

Thanks to my buddy Jim (That_guy), and Jason at Absolute Offroad for helping with this install! I really appreciate it!

Final Install

This is the new Poison Spyder Crossmember with hitch

Cutting frame and torching out crossmember

Everything got touched up in between photos, which included grinding, welding, painting and just making sure everything was perfect before final install.

GO BIG RED!
PABST BLUE RIBBON!

My build page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 07-13-2015, 05:56 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Nice... wonder if the new crossmember would work with the old BFH.

New bumper looks a bit longer ?

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 75 Old 07-13-2015, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Not real sure but that's a great question. If so, and if they'll sell just the crossmember that would be cool. Obviously you would have to just cut hole a in bumper for hitch to go through. I've noticed that this BFH also sits higher than the first gen and frame rail mounts are the same as a brawler ll rear

GO BIG RED!
PABST BLUE RIBBON!

My build page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 Old 07-13-2015, 08:20 AM
Granite Guru

This is the bumper I've been waiting for... Is the new cross member welded to the frame?

Also, I'm guessing that the two piece design will add considerable cost to the bumper, which will definitely make it less appealing. Specially considering the current offering from CC and VKS.

Last edited by DarK_Reaper; 07-13-2015 at 10:47 AM.
post #5 of 75 Old 07-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Granite Guru

I think the cross member itself looks great without the bumper!

2007 JKU AKA CHEEP HEEP. 2.5 rk tripple rates, bilstein long travels, Currie arms,antirock, 35 mtr's, artec truss, redneck ram, ruff stuff tie rod, poly drag link, ten factory front/rear shafts, aussie locker, savvy front bumper, bfh rear
post #6 of 75 Old 07-13-2015, 03:12 PM
Rock God

SWEET

2015 JK Unlimited Anvil
SOLD -2009 JK Unlimited Rubicon Deep Water Blue
1987 YJ Stretched 60/14 40" LTB's
post #7 of 75 Old 07-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

I've been harassing Poison Spyder via Facebook for this bumper. My old bumper is literally mangled because I've been waiting for this one....

So it's getting close to being official eh? And how did you get a prototype, I wanna be on that mail list!

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #8 of 75 Old 07-15-2015, 02:47 PM
Granite Guru

Hint, hint

Would be nice if Dusty or Larry would chime in with some details on this...

post #9 of 75 Old 07-21-2015, 09:08 PM
JKO Addict!

would be great if i could mate the cross member/hitch to my original BFH. Does the BFH II have the same mounting "pattern" as the original?

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #10 of 75 Old 07-21-2015, 09:55 PM
Wheeler

I'd like to see shackle tabs on it.
post #11 of 75 Old 07-22-2015, 04:50 AM
Rock God

Garage

My guess is the BFH II should be available soon....

post #12 of 75 Old 07-22-2015, 09:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I like it! what about some d-ring tabs?

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #13 of 75 Old 07-22-2015, 10:14 PM
Wheeler

Recently installed the BFH and now wish I had waited because I regret ditching the hitch.
post #14 of 75 Old 07-29-2015, 07:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguyhasadd42 View Post
would be great if i could mate the cross member/hitch to my original BFH. Does the BFH II have the same mounting "pattern" as the original?
I have this exact same need! Would be great to get some answers eh?
post #15 of 75 Old 07-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by D94R View Post
I have this exact same need! Would be great to get some answers eh?
Hey guys thanks for the comments on the BFH II Rear Bumper. I'll be posting up a new thread on it here in the JK New Product News section when we're ready to officially launch it. But until then here are some answers to some of the questions you guys are asking:

Yes it is a separate bumper and crossmember. There are other mfg's who have taken our original BFH rear bumper concept and added a hitch to it. We've had to defend our decision not to do that for years, because it seems like a no-brainer to the casual observer. But our reason is that we didn't feel the bumper itself had enough strength to support a hitch, especially with most of the stock crossmember removed or entirely gone, which is part of the BFH rear bumper installation process. So we never wanted to simply add a hitch to the existing bumper design. We thought if we were going to have a BFH style bumper with a hitch, we needed to go back to the drawing board and completely redesign it from the ground up, and also address the crossmember issue.

So the BFH II Rear Bumper was designed in conjunction with a separate, BFH II Rear Crossmember. Its the crossmember itself that has the hitch receiver tied into it. The bumper simply fits over it like a skin. Incidentally, the two may also be used independently. That is, the crossmember may be run by itself for those who want a super-minimalist, frame-cap look. Or, the BFH II bumper can still be run by itself, for those who don't need a hitch or the extra support of the replacement crossmember. The crossmember will be available in both hitch and non-hitch versions. The bumper will be available in hitch or non-hitch versions as well. The hitch version of the bumper simply has the square pass-through hole for the hitch receiver to poke through.

Some of asked, so I asked our engineer to overlay the new and old BFH bumpers to see if the old BFH bumper may be installed over the new crossmember. His answer was yes, depending on how well you followed the cut template on the original BFH bumper installation. The cut patterns from the two are not an exact match, so worst case scenario you'd have to either remove a little bit more material, or add a little bit of material when you weld the crossmember on. But hey, you've got the welder out anyhow right? The bottom line is that yes, the old BFH bumpers will fit over the new crossmember, although they won't be a glove-like fit.

Some asked about tabs, and yes the bumper will be available with or without shackle tabs. We designed a new tab for it since none of the existing tabs we use for our other bumpers fit or looked quite right with this bumper. You'll see pics of it when I post up our own thread, but its a nice tab, high clearance like all of our shackle tabs, CNC machined from 1" thick plate steel.

Another addition that will be available with the new BFH II bumper, that wasn't shown in HSKR4X4's photos, is that it will be available with recessed mounts for 6" LED light bars on either side. You can either use a Rigid Industries single-row 6" bar, or one of the many less expensive knock-offs that use the same mounting dimensions.

We've changed up the overall shape and lines of the bumper a bit. The top comes up higher now. On the old BFH bumper, it only came up to the top of the frame rails, leaving a gap between it and the bottom of the Jeep's body tub. We've closed that gap most of the way, while still leaving room for body flex.

A few words about the hitch, and I know this hasn't been asked yet but it will be, so here you go. It will not come with a stated tow rating. Can you tow with it? Of course. Will we "certify" that its rated to tow a certain amount? No. All we can say is that its built like a brick shithouse and tied in to a crossmember that's way beefier than the stock one. But there are two reasons we can't officially certify it for towing: First, due to the nature of the BFH Bumper, which is designed to be the highest clearance bumper you can buy, the receiver tube is shorter than it would need to be for certification. In fact most hitch receivers may need to be trimmed on the end, in order to be able to slide them in far enough to put the hitch pin in. As you might know, the body tub is right there behind where the crossmember goes, there's only so much room. Also, the distance from the hitch pin hole to the end of the receiver tube is shorter than what a tow rating requires. So officially we'll have to call it a recovery point rather than a tow hitch.

So I'm sure the next questions are How much? And when will it be available for sale? For price, the bumper itself will be priced a little higher than the old BFH Rear Bumper. There's more to it, and we had been discounting the old one anyhow since it had been slowing down in sales (those are a bargain now for anyone who would like to pick one up out of remaining inventory). So the new ones will probably be $399 for the base bumper. Shackle tabs and light mounts will be options. The crossmember will probably be priced at around $249 without hitch, slightly more with hitch. That will of course make the full package for those who want every option, including the crossmember, quite a bit more expensive than the old BFH bumper. But there's quite a bit more there. As for availability, we actually already have the first production run of these finished up. Its mostly waiting on me, to get product photos and descriptions written for the website, and info to be published out to our dealers and the TAP network. I'm out of the office next week but I hope to get the rest of this all buttoned up the week after that, so hopefully you'll see us make an official announcement about it then.

Last edited by Dusty; 07-30-2015 at 11:08 AM.
post #16 of 75 Old 08-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Rock God

Liveable details if using the original bfh!
post #17 of 75 Old 08-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Granite Guru

ill be ordering a crossmember as soon as its avail!

2007 JKU AKA CHEEP HEEP. 2.5 rk tripple rates, bilstein long travels, Currie arms,antirock, 35 mtr's, artec truss, redneck ram, ruff stuff tie rod, poly drag link, ten factory front/rear shafts, aussie locker, savvy front bumper, bfh rear
post #18 of 75 Old 08-04-2015, 12:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Interesting, Dusty!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #19 of 75 Old 08-11-2015, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks Dusty for posting all of that. While I had answers to some of the questions, I knew it was best for them to hear from you!

GO BIG RED!
PABST BLUE RIBBON!

My build page

post #20 of 75 Old 08-11-2015, 11:15 AM
JKowners Vendor

That is a very nice addition and should be great for 4 door guys who want to tow something! Super practical...

RK
post #21 of 75 Old 09-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Granite Guru

So, it's been a month Dusty.... any updates on this?
post #22 of 75 Old 09-09-2015, 07:10 AM
Wheeler

Hey it's great for us 2 door guys that gotta carry everything in a hitch basket too! I'm curious on some updates and price points too.
post #23 of 75 Old 09-09-2015, 05:32 PM
Granite Guru

Unhappy

Still not up on the PS webpage either..... another phantom product, or so it seems....

Last edited by LDK59; 10-12-2015 at 04:42 PM.
post #24 of 75 Old 09-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
As for availability, we actually already have the first production run of these finished up. Its mostly waiting on me, to get product photos and descriptions written for the website, and info to be published out to our dealers and the TAP network. I'm out of the office next week but I hope to get the rest of this all buttoned up the week after that, so hopefully you'll see us make an official announcement about it then.
@Dusty - just wanted to try to get an update on these? Thanks!
post #25 of 75 Old 09-22-2015, 03:57 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPrince View Post
@Dusty - just wanted to try to get an update on these? Thanks!
Me too!

08 JKU 6.0 LC8 6L80 Atlas 2 39" KM3's on Trilogy race beadlocks, prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode