New owner questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

New owner questions

Ok so I got my 09 last week, so far so good. But Ive come up with a few questions.

1. Compass Calibration - Since I got it the compass has flashed CAL above the direction heading, got about 650 miles on it. How long does this stay flashing, or does it always? All the book says is that it automatically calibrates itself...

2. Armor All - Ive used it for years on all my vehicles, but think I remember seeing something about how its bad on JKs? Any truth to this? Is there something better tha doesnt attract as much dust?

3. Parts Fitment - Will the parts from 07-08 JKs fit my 09? Im finding lots of things like seat covers and floor mats for 07-08, but not for 09.

4. Seat covers and floor mats - Any good recommendations? I can get a good price on a full set of Smittybilt Neoprenes. And I was thinking husky for floor mats and cargo area mat.

I think thats all for now, sure to be more. Thanks for any and all help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-27-2009, 04:44 PM
JKO Addict!

In order to calibrate the compass you have to drive in a tight circle for 2 min in reverse at a constant 15 mph with the wheels turned to the right unless you are in California then you will need to turn the wheels to the left.

Parts will interchange between 07-09

Armor All is for civics

I have the mopar slush mats and so far they have held up quite well

Call the dealer on the Compass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by bodyguy; 05-27-2009 at 07:23 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Granite Guru

Compass calibration is basically doing a series of slow circles in a parking lot, clear area, etc.

For cleaning/beautifying the interior, I use Turtle Wax Ice interior care. Basically can go on all plastics, even the dash lens(make sure its clean when you put it on any lens). It basically is low sheen, doesn't make a glare, and doesn't attract dust. For the exterior (mirrors, bumpers, fender flares), I use STP Son of a Gun protectant. I tried Meguiar's, and a few others, but they turn white after time. Armor All had too much sheen, attracted dust (for me), and even sweats on the interior (can see it on the inside of the windshield, like a haze).

No significant changes occured from 2007-2009, but if you can find it listed for a 2008, it will fit fine. Most 2007 will fit, too, but someone may chime in.

Seat covers-touchy subject, read around as some people love em, some hate em, some abuse them, some just look at them. All accross the board, but alot depends on how they will be used.

Pick up a can of Heavy Duty Silicone spray for the gaskets, and you'll stay leak free.

Congrats on the new rig, and Enjoy!
Paul

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-28-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the answers so far, will try a couple of circles for the compass.

Im gonna give the Ice interor stuff a try a soon as i stops raining. Gotta try something.

I couldn't find any real changes between the years other that hard top changes, and some interor tweaks. Guess Ill try some 08 stuff then
post #5 of 11 Old 05-28-2009, 06:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98XJSport View Post
Thanks for the answers so far, will try a couple of circles for the compass.

Im gonna give the Ice interor stuff a try a soon as i stops raining. Gotta try something.

I couldn't find any real changes between the years other that hard top changes, and some interor tweaks. Guess Ill try some 08 stuff then
I hope you know my comment on the compass is completely ridiculous, I was in a crazy mood.

|
|
post #6 of 11 Old 05-28-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
I hope you know my comment on the compass is completely ridiculous, I was in a crazy mood.
uh oh, I better go get my wife outta the Jeep
post #7 of 11 Old 05-28-2009, 08:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That's funny BodyGuy. Everybody knows you have to do donuts forwards and backwards.

Seriously though, I think there is something wrong. Mine never had to calibrate.

I like 303 Aerospace for protectant. I use it inside and out. It's not sticky and has sun screen. It's about $10 to $15 per bottle though.

Most any part advertised for a 07 and above will work.

I have Seat Glover seat covers and I'm fairly happy with them. They make your ass sweaty but the do a good job at protecting the seats.

I highly recommend the Rugged Ridge or Quadratec floor mats. They are by far the nicest I've seen. I love mine. Rugged Ridge makes them for Quadratec so it doesn't matter which ones you get. There's just a different emblem on them. Don't waste your money on Husky's. I had them for a while and there is no comparison to the RR.

Here's a good read on them.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...ight=quadratec

Last edited by RotorHead; 05-28-2009 at 08:38 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-28-2009, 10:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

303 inside and out.

as for mats I've had the bare floor option since a few weeks after rolling it off the showroom pedistal. inside will be rhino lined soon with marathon seat covers from my research.

calibration either dealer or try removing the fuse for a few minutes and try again but I thing the radio has a back up battery. don't hold me to that, haven't tested just thinking that I may have read it somewhere.

oh and I may have missed it if someone else said it first but for wax use the turtle wax ice, no white crap on the black.

and when you use the 303 follow the directions and don't forget to wipe it dry.

congrats and welcome
post #9 of 11 Old 05-29-2009, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
I know, although the CA part was believable

The manual says if it's on to drive under 10 mph until it goes away. I haven't had time to try it, so hell wh not try a slow circle in a parking lot. If that doesnt work Ill try to power cycle it, still no go dealership time.

I ordered some quadratec mats last night, they look perfect for what I need.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-29-2009, 05:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98XJSport View Post
I know, although the CA part was believable

The manual says if it's on to drive under 10 mph until it goes away. I haven't had time to try it, so hell wh not try a slow circle in a parking lot. If that doesnt work Ill try to power cycle it, still no go dealership time.

I ordered some quadratec mats last night, they look perfect for what I need.
Good choice on the mats. You won't be disappointed.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-29-2009, 07:19 AM
JKowners Vendor

We use stuff called FastSpray, which we buy by the case from Autocare (they are a wholesaler, but shouldn't have a problem getting you anything in case quantity). It's fantastic, doesn't attract dust if you wipe off the excess with a damp cloth, and works on everything from the hoses in the engine compartment, to the bumpers, tires, dash, soft top, etc.--essentially, all the black parts of the Jeep. I have tried every product off the shelf and found nothing even remotely satisfying.

I love my Mopar Jeep slushmats, if you can get them now. $50 set and indestructible.

Compass. LMAO! I was ready to go try the reverse donut thing, just for fun!

Seat covers...never had any.

07-09 parts are all the same, except the door locks, seatbelt connections, and, of course the six different coil spring options...

Congratulations and happy trails!

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode