roof rack question? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

roof rack question?

I always thought they were cool, but never paid much attention to them because of the cost. But does anyone have a roof rack installed with a hardtop? Pics maybe? Also is it a major PITA to remove the top with the rack on?

Thanks in advance,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TAKE YOUR TOP OFF!! of the jeep

~Z~

'08 Wrangler Sahara (Green)
-Hella driving lights (x2)
-Flowmaster 40 series
-AEM Intake system
-A need for more!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Granite Guru

MBRP Has a real nice roof rack. And it looks like it would make it easer to take the top off by holding it on the side rails. one person on each side
post #3 of 19 Old 05-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Wheeler

I have a Defender roof rack i love it but it is a pain to take the roof off with it but its all good here is a pic.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

On the website, I could only find a rack that says for 4dr unlimited only cause I like that one. It seems big enough to be usful, but small enough to not be obtrusive. But it only hooks to the top huh? so when the top comes off the rack comes off?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Z~

-Flowmaster 40 series
-AEM Intake system
-A need for more!!!

Last edited by grnlntrn; 05-28-2009 at 01:18 PM.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 02:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnlntrn View Post
On the website, I could only find a rack that says for 4dr unlimited only cause I like that one. It seems big enough to be usful, but small enough to not be obtrusive. But it only hooks to the top huh? so when the top comes off the rack comes off?
The MBRB or whatever the company is called attaches at the hardtopo sides and can hold several hundred pounds like most of the better racks on the market. They have a pic with a few big fellas standing up on it. Downside is the hardtop comes off, then so does the rack.

I have and really like the Ranger GOBI rack on my 2dr, my softtop is on but I'm switching out again this weekend maybe just because I haven't had the HT on with this rack yet. I'll snap some pics. If you'd like some pics of the GOBI with the softtop let me know. GOBI also makes a "stealth" rack and I should be receiving my stealth bar soon, decided I'd like to have both.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Granite Guru

I run a Kargo Master Congo Cage, and very easy to remove tops. Unloaded, it howls like a bad ass beer can. Loaded, all is studly.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top

Last edited by Mule'Con; 01-08-2011 at 10:46 AM.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-29-2009, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post
The MBRB or whatever the company is called attaches at the hardtopo sides and can hold several hundred pounds like most of the better racks on the market. They have a pic with a few big fellas standing up on it. Downside is the hardtop comes off, then so does the rack.

I have and really like the Ranger GOBI rack on my 2dr, my softtop is on but I'm switching out again this weekend maybe just because I haven't had the HT on with this rack yet. I'll snap some pics. If you'd like some pics of the GOBI with the softtop let me know. GOBI also makes a "stealth" rack and I should be receiving my stealth bar soon, decided I'd like to have both.

I came across those GOBI racks the other day. I'm in to that "stealth" rack, ya if you have some pics that would cool

I also came across some that are on support arms that lift up. I don't know if the extra 200 or so you pay for it is worth it, but its a cool feature. JKracks I believe.

~Z~

-Flowmaster 40 series
-AEM Intake system
-A need for more!!!
post #8 of 19 Old 05-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Wheeler

I have the Garvin Expedition
Did alittle work on it to calm the wind noise.Put a plastic front on it and aluminum plate on underside Helped CONSIDERABLY dont have to YELL with top down . Just take 4 bolts out to pivot up to get top down or take 6 out to just top rack off .
Attached Images

post #9 of 19 Old 05-30-2009, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

^ thats pretty sweet. As for the noise, does the railing just flex alot with all the wind resistance?

I think you might have had it in the water too much, your decals are running right off the hood! j/k

Looks nice, thanks

~Z~

-Flowmaster 40 series
-AEM Intake system
-A need for more!!!
post #10 of 19 Old 05-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnlntrn View Post
^ thats pretty sweet. As for the noise, does the railing just flex alot with all the wind resistance?

I think you might have had it in the water too much, your decals are running right off the hood! j/k

Looks nice, thanks
Tried a couple of different things this is the best so far.
The howling of the wind rushingthrough the rails ,with top down you could'nt haer the tires whine The extra flex isn't really noticeable ,
As for the decals ,We think it's so SWEET it melts

Last edited by dewayne; 05-30-2009 at 10:02 PM.
post #11 of 19 Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Haha I like that, when I tell my wife that I would melt for the same reason, she thinks I lie Lol j/k... thanks for the input!

~Z~

-Flowmaster 40 series
-AEM Intake system
-A need for more!!!
post #12 of 19 Old 06-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Riptyd

Mine is on the right. Its a WildBoar rack. easy to remove freedom panels or entire roof.

Riptyd

“Adventure is worthwhile.”........Aristotle

Yellow 4dr.,
Wildboar Safari Rack
Midland 75-822 CB Radio(Ch4or16)
Smittybilt SRC front Bumper, Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier
Smittybilt SRC Side Armor
KC Daylighters
JKS ACOS adjustable coil spacers
Procomp shocks
SpyderTrax Wheel Spacers
BFGoodrich Radial AT 285/70/17
More mods on the way.

JEEPERS should always be on CB Cannel 4 or 16

Last edited by Riptyd; 06-02-2009 at 06:56 PM.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Could you please tell me where you got that rack and what model # it is. I tried finding it online but never saw the one for the JK. It's excactly what I need for my road trip mext month.

In Sincere Aiki Spirt,

AikiJuan

post #14 of 19 Old 08-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Wheeler

I got back from 1,200 miles trip with my Gobi Rack. It was all I had hoped for and more. I have been checking out Racks for over 6 months. I always have my Autohome roof top tent on the vehicles and it has to be strong. The Gobi Rack was the culmination of a search for the strongest, quietest and attractive looking rack. My major worry was the lateral support when Off highway driving (off roading). The side to side movement is zero.
The rack really impressed me with how solid it is. This is a great investment for my 4 door!

Frenchie La Chance
Western Adventures 4X4 Driving School & Guide Service
I4WDTA Certified Trainer
Tread Lightly Trainer

760-415-7071
post #15 of 19 Old 08-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Jayce113

MBRP said that the 2 door model of their roof rack will be out in the next couple of weeks. I for one am waiting on it. If it's anything like the 4dr model its a sweet deal.

2007 RESCUE GREEN JEEP SAHARA
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE
post #16 of 19 Old 08-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Rock God

The MBRP JK 4dr, rack, will support over 500 lbs and makes taking the hardtop off easy, (like handles)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Makes no noise and you can take the "T" topsoff easy !!

JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #17 of 19 Old 08-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayce113 View Post
MBRP said that the 2 door model of their roof rack will be out in the next couple of weeks. I for one am waiting on it. If it's anything like the 4dr model its a sweet deal.
2 door racks are in the early stages of development as we speak... I should have some CAD drawings to post next week to give you guys an idea of what we are working on.

As JIMBOX has posted, our rack is extremely durable, and rugged. We have had over 1100lbs on it stationary without issue, and the interior braces really keep it looking clean while maximizing strength.

Shoot me PM or post any questions you may have.

Scott
Phone 1-888-636-7223
Web

NEW FACEBOOK GROUP: MBRP Performance Exhaust
post #18 of 19 Old 08-27-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule'Con View Post
I run a Kargo Master Congo Cage, and very easy to remove tops. Unloaded, it howls like a bad ass beer can. Loaded, all is studly.
Mule'Con have you found a way to quiet it down a bit? I just did some interstate driving in windy conditions and couldn't hear my 3 year old behind me. Normally that isn't a bad thing But I would like to get that to quiet down. Any other options besides loading it?

RevJeep
post #19 of 19 Old 08-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Rock God

Here's a shot of the Gobi Stealth...

And here's one of the rack in action...

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode